gOS - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on gOS - Ubuntu ; I installed gOS w/ Enlightenment on my gutsy Ub by editing my sources.list to include the gOS repo/s and then install greenos-desktop. The result of that is that my login session manager appearance is changed to that of gos instead ...

  1. gOS

    I installed gOS w/ Enlightenment on my gutsy Ub by editing my
    sources.list to include the gOS repo/s and then install greenos-desktop.

    The result of that is that my login session manager appearance is
    changed to that of gos instead of ub's but I can work around that with
    F10 because the gOS one doesn't have an Options button. I can login to
    a gnome/ub session or an enlightened session. There was some other
    re-arranging and changes in menus and icons for the gnome desktop, such
    as the firefox icon being changed and moved out of internet into other,
    but that isn't important either, except that I don't know how to change
    icons or I would fix it.

    What I'm trying to figure out how to 'fix' is that this enlightenment
    desktop/WM doesn't have the 'cute' idea of the integrated google
    applications which was described here
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8172133608.html Google-centric
    theme - clicking on the e-mail icon takes you to Gmail, the news icon
    sends you off to Google News, and the calendar "application" is Google
    Calendar.

    There isn't any kind of google-centricity whatsoever nor any such icons
    for news or email or calendar that go to google places. There is
    nothing google in the entire enlightened desktop or menus, much less
    taskbar or desktop icons.

    That is probably a goodthing, because it was actually the enlightenment
    'experience' that I wanted, but I was also interested in seeing this
    googlecentricity that gOS had cooked up according to the article.

    I'm thinking that there was perhaps some additional green-desktop
    'google function' which needs to be installed for googleness but I just
    don't know what it is.

    Does anyone know how to google-ize a gOS/ed enlightenment session? I
    have visited faqly and the ub forum install gOS topic, but I haven't
    asked the question at either of those yet.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: gOS

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > There isn't any kind of google-centricity whatsoever nor any such
    > icons for news or email or calendar that go to google places. There
    > is nothing google in the entire enlightened desktop or menus, much
    > less taskbar or desktop icons.

    Here is a screenshot of the google-centric gOS
    http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...OS%201.0/3.gif

    My gOS desktop doesn't look like that. All of those icons along the
    bottom aren't there. There is some kind of an enlightenment task bar on
    mine. The screenshot also shows a google search function at the top
    which I don't have.

    My greenos-desktop seems to be totally devoid of googlecentricity as I
    had read somewhere that gOS 1 or whatever it was called was not
    googlecentric. But the website thinkgos shows the googlecentric desktop
    like the screenshot above.

    I'm thinking the downloaded liveCD iso installs googlecentricity but not
    the mp3 and DVD functions and the install greenos-desktop doesn't
    install either googlecentrics desktop icons and links or the dvd/mp3
    functions and the everex computer comes with googlecentricity and
    mp3/dvd functionality.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread