Oh oh Printer Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Oh oh Printer Problem - Ubuntu ; I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell, everything works, except my printer. It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is to print e-mail ...

  1. Oh oh Printer Problem

    I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    everything works, except my printer.

    It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is to
    print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink carts.
    is gone.

    It worked just fine with 7.04. It doesn't do anything now. I can't even
    print a test page.

    The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.

    Any ideas?

    Al

  2. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:
    > It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is to
    > print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink carts.
    > is gone.

    You won't like this, but maybe you should stop printing those email
    messages. Save some trees. The planet's sending you a message.

    cheers.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:50:20 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >> It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is
    >> to print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink
    >> carts. is gone.

    > You won't like this, but maybe you should stop printing those email
    > messages. Save some trees. The planet's sending you a message.
    >
    > cheers.

    Really wonderful reply. I print them out for my wife, who doesn't use e-
    mail. Think before you reply. Is this what being green means?

    Al

  4. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it
    >>> for is to print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my
    >>> cache of ink carts. is gone.

    >> You won't like this, but maybe you should stop printing those
    >> email messages. Save some trees. The planet's sending you a
    >> message.

    > Really wonderful reply. I print them out for my wife, who doesn't
    > use e-mail. Think before you reply. Is this what being green means?

    If she doesn't object to using the computer, you might try
    collecting them in a zip or tar file, which she can then read at
    leisure. After that you can just destroy the file. Put it in a
    unique directory for the purpose. Then, if needed, she can also
    decide what few should really be printed and retained.

    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:

    > I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    > everything works, except my printer.
    >
    > It is an HP 820C. [...] It worked just fine with 7.04. [...]
    >
    > The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    > "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.

    HTH: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ys/+bug/131470

    Ilja

  6. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:

    > I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    > everything works, except my printer.
    >
    > It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is to
    > print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink carts.
    > is gone.
    >
    > It worked just fine with 7.04. It doesn't do anything now. I can't even
    > print a test page.
    >
    > The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    > "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log
    Maybe set LogLevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

    Florian

  7. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:37:07 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >
    >> I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    >> everything works, except my printer.
    >>
    >> It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is
    >> to print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink
    >> carts. is gone.
    >>
    >> It worked just fine with 7.04. It doesn't do anything now. I can't even
    >> print a test page.
    >>
    >> The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    >> "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log Maybe set LogLevel to debug in
    > /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >

    > Florian

    OK, it says that the job "stopped due to filter errors."

    What does that mean?

    Al

  8. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:32:32 +0000, Al wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:37:07 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    >>> everything works, except my printer.
    >>>
    >>> It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is
    >>> to print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink
    >>> carts. is gone.
    >>>
    >>> It worked just fine with 7.04. It doesn't do anything now. I can't
    >>> even print a test page.
    >>>
    >>> The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    >>> "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log Maybe set LogLevel to debug in
    >> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    >>

    >> Florian

    > OK, it says that the job "stopped due to filter errors."
    >
    > What does that mean?
    >
    > Al

    OK, finally go it to work. Found a work-around on the internet.

    sudo aa-complain cupsd

    apparently this disables AppArmor, whatever that is, and the printer
    works.

    Al

  9. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:37:07 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> I updated to 7.1 today. All went well and as far as I can tell,
    >>> everything works, except my printer.
    >>>
    >>> It is an HP 820C. Yeah, I know, it's obsolete, but all I use it for is
    >>> to print e-mail messages. I won't get rid of it until my cache of ink
    >>> carts. is gone.
    >>>
    >>> It worked just fine with 7.04. It doesn't do anything now. I can't even
    >>> print a test page.
    >>>
    >>> The system seems to know it's there. But any job I send to it is
    >>> "stopped." I did the admin. print service and still no-go.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log Maybe set LogLevel to debug in
    >> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

    > OK, it says that the job "stopped due to filter errors."
    >
    > What does that mean?

    "filters" are programs that CUPS uses to manipulate your jobs, e.g. to
    convert data to a file format your printer understands. As the filters
    are applied one after another the whole thing fails if one filter fails.

    In debug mode CUPS writes to its log file which filters are started and
    what messages they gave if any. That often helps to track down printing
    problems.

    Florian

  10. Re: Oh oh Printer Problem

    Al wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:32:32 +0000, Al wrote:

    >>> Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log Maybe set LogLevel to debug in
    >>> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

    >> OK, it says that the job "stopped due to filter errors."
    >>
    >> What does that mean?

    > OK, finally go it to work. Found a work-around on the internet.
    >
    > sudo aa-complain cupsd
    >
    > apparently this disables AppArmor, whatever that is, and the printer
    > works.

    AppArmor is a framework to enforce security policies. It's a new feature
    in 7.10.

    Now when printing you should see some message from AppArmor in
    /var/log/syslog that tells you what AppArmor doesn't like. If you file a
    bug report including this messages the developers could fix the problem.

    Florian