Error on boot... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Error on boot... - Ubuntu ; Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message continuously going up the screen... usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7 usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71 usb 4-1: device ...

  1. Error on boot...

    Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    continuously going up the screen...

    usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9

    There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi

  2. Re: Error on boot...

    twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    > continuously going up the screen...
    >
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    > usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    > usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    >
    > There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    > Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    You're booting from a USB Key or Hard Drive?

    You've got read/write errors on a USB device. Is this what you boot
    from?

    If not, check your BIOS and set it back to your internal hard drive.

    If so, download the Ubuntu Live/CD or SysrescCD and boot from
    either. Copy the data off your USB drive pretty damn sharpsih.
    Ideally onto another one.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Error on boot...

    Moog wrote:
    > twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    >> continuously going up the screen...
    >>
    >> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    >> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    >> usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    >> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    >>
    >> There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    >> Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    > You're booting from a USB Key or Hard Drive?
    >
    > You've got read/write errors on a USB device. Is this what you boot
    > from?
    >
    > If not, check your BIOS and set it back to your internal hard drive.
    >
    > If so, download the Ubuntu Live/CD or SysrescCD and boot from
    > either. Copy the data off your USB drive pretty damn sharpsih.
    > Ideally onto another one.

    Booting from small partition on hdb4. Odd thing is my main partition
    using Sidux hdb1 boots ok with no error messages.

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  4. Re: Error on boot...

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:09:04 +0000, Ted Wager wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    >>> continuously going up the screen...
    >>>
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    >>> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    >>> usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    >>>
    >>> There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    >>> Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    >> You're booting from a USB Key or Hard Drive?
    >>
    >> You've got read/write errors on a USB device. Is this what you boot
    >> from?
    >>
    >> If not, check your BIOS and set it back to your internal hard drive.
    >>
    >> If so, download the Ubuntu Live/CD or SysrescCD and boot from
    >> either. Copy the data off your USB drive pretty damn sharpsih.
    >> Ideally onto another one.
    >>

    > Booting from small partition on hdb4. Odd thing is my main partition
    > using Sidux hdb1 boots ok with no error messages.

    Firstly, if you're using Ubuntu Hardy (as per your signature) then it must
    be alpha-minus-minus-minus at this stage, so who really knows what is
    happening?

    Is it at all possible that you still have a USB device connected that you
    haven't noticed, or did you not remove a USB device cleanly before the
    last shutdown?

  5. Re: Error on boot...

    twager wrote:
    > Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    > continuously going up the screen...
    >
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    > usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    > usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    > usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    >
    > There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    > Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    It won't hurt to run up a LiveCD and do an fschk on the disk...

  6. Re: Error on boot...

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:09:04 +0000, Ted Wager wrote:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> You're booting from a USB Key or Hard Drive?
    >>>
    >>> You've got read/write errors on a USB device. Is this what you boot
    >>> from?
    >>>
    >>> If not, check your BIOS and set it back to your internal hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> If so, download the Ubuntu Live/CD or SysrescCD and boot from
    >>> either. Copy the data off your USB drive pretty damn sharpsih.
    >>> Ideally onto another one.
    >>>

    >> Booting from small partition on hdb4. Odd thing is my main partition
    >> using Sidux hdb1 boots ok with no error messages.

    > Firstly, if you're using Ubuntu Hardy (as per your signature) then it must
    > be alpha-minus-minus-minus at this stage, so who really knows what is
    > happening?
    >
    > Is it at all possible that you still have a USB device connected that you
    > haven't noticed, or did you not remove a USB device cleanly before the
    > last shutdown?

    Well...
    I have stripped the box down and got rid of the dust...Had a vacuum
    round it and put all back together and the error message has gone
    and all distros boot..I cannot understand though why I got Sidux to boot
    and not Ubi...
    Hardy Heron is on my other machine which I sent the mail from...
    Many thanks to all who replied...

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI

  7. Re: Error on boot...

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:00:57 +0000, Ted wrote:

    > I have stripped the box down and got rid of the dust...Had a vacuum
    > round it and put all back together and the error message has gone
    > and all distros boot..

    So there was conductive dirt shorting one of the USB sockets?

    In your honour, we'll need to add "vacuum your machine before you ask
    a question" to the group FAQ.

    That would have been pretty difficult to diagnose from here :-)

    > I cannot understand though why I got Sidux to boot
    > and not Ubi...

    Because Ubuntu probes USB at a different stage of the boot process, it
    would seem....

  8. Re: Error on boot...

    Ted Wager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Suddenly my Ubuntu partition has refused to boot and I get this message
    >>> continuously going up the screen...
    >>>
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    >>> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    >>> usb 4-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    >>> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    >>>
    >>> There have been no alterations to the system since I last booted..
    >>> Anyone tell me how I can fix this ?

    >> You're booting from a USB Key or Hard Drive?
    >>
    >> You've got read/write errors on a USB device. Is this what you boot
    >> from?
    >>
    >> If not, check your BIOS and set it back to your internal hard drive.
    >>
    >> If so, download the Ubuntu Live/CD or SysrescCD and boot from
    >> either. Copy the data off your USB drive pretty damn sharpsih.
    >> Ideally onto another one.
    >>

    > Booting from small partition on hdb4. Odd thing is my main partition
    > using Sidux hdb1 boots ok with no error messages.

    USB?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Error on boot...

    Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:00:57 +0000, Ted wrote:
    >
    >> I have stripped the box down and got rid of the dust...Had a vacuum
    >> round it and put all back together and the error message has gone
    >> and all distros boot..

    > So there was conductive dirt shorting one of the USB sockets?
    >
    > In your honour, we'll need to add "vacuum your machine before you ask
    > a question" to the group FAQ.

    It's incredible what a quick clean can ahieve. I had a none booting PC
    that wouldn't boot due to inches of dust on the PSU fan blades.

    > That would have been pretty difficult to diagnose from here :-)
    >
    >> I cannot understand though why I got Sidux to boot
    >> and not Ubi...

    > Because Ubuntu probes USB at a different stage of the boot process, it
    > would seem....

    Quite.

    --
    Moog