System freezes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on System freezes - Ubuntu ; I just installed 17mb of updates the other night... now my system freezes randomly when I'm using the Pan newsreader. The system just locks up and won't respond to any keyboard/mouse input. The only solution is to force the power ...

  1. System freezes

    I just installed 17mb of updates the other night... now my system freezes
    randomly when I'm using the Pan newsreader. The system just locks up and
    won't respond to any keyboard/mouse input. The only solution is to force
    the power off and re-boot.

    Has anyone heard about this problem arising from recent patches or
    software updates? I'm running edgy on this machine.

    Charlie

  2. Re: System freezes

    Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    > I just installed 17mb of updates the other night... now my system freezes
    > randomly when I'm using the Pan newsreader. The system just locks up and
    > won't respond to any keyboard/mouse input. The only solution is to force
    > the power off and re-boot.
    >
    > Has anyone heard about this problem arising from recent patches or
    > software updates? I'm running edgy on this machine.
    >
    > Charlie

    Does it only happen with pan or with other apps as well? I have
    experienced this on several distros and in my case, the culprit has
    always been the video drivers or the X11 config being overwritten by the
    newer package.

  3. Re: System freezes

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:01:01 -0500, A. Ben Hmeda wrote:

    > Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    >> I just installed 17mb of updates the other night... now my system
    >> freezes randomly when I'm using the Pan newsreader. The system just
    >> locks up and won't respond to any keyboard/mouse input. The only
    >> solution is to force the power off and re-boot.
    >>
    >> Has anyone heard about this problem arising from recent patches or
    >> software updates? I'm running edgy on this machine.
    >>
    >> Charlie

    > Does it only happen with pan or with other apps as well? I have
    > experienced this on several distros and in my case, the culprit has
    > always been the video drivers or the X11 config being overwritten by the
    > newer package.

    I'm not sure what is going on. It happened 3 or 4 times in rapid
    succession earlier today... but for the past couple of hours, I have been
    immersed in Pan and not having a problem. It could well be a hardware
    issue, like a bad memory stick.

    Charlie

+ Reply to Thread