Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:54:22 -0700, Oxford wrote: > So here are my observations: Mac OS X, and Apple's development paradigm, > is the anti-Linux. And it's Steve Jobs's big accomplishment that Apple has > built a better (I ...

  1. Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:54:22 -0700, Oxford wrote:

    > So here are my observations: Mac OS X, and Apple's development paradigm,
    > is the anti-Linux. And it's Steve Jobs's big accomplishment that Apple has
    > built a better (I should actually say "more successful") Linux than Linus
    > Torvalds has ever been able to do.

    Linux is all about open source code and the powers and freedoms that
    arise from that. By its very nature as proprietary software, OS-X can
    never "out-linux Linux".

  2. Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux

    yakety yak wrote:

    > > So here are my observations: Mac OS X, and Apple's development paradigm,
    > > is the anti-Linux. And it's Steve Jobs's big accomplishment that Apple has
    > > built a better (I should actually say "more successful") Linux than Linus
    > > Torvalds has ever been able to do.

    > Linux is all about open source code and the powers and freedoms that
    > arise from that. By its very nature as proprietary software, OS-X can
    > never "out-linux Linux".

    actually OSX is mostly opensource as well. you can get started here:

    http://www.apple.com/opensource/

    As the first major computer company to make Open Source development a
    key part of its ongoing software strategy, Apple remains committed to
    the Open Source development model. Major components of Mac OS X,
    including the UNIX-based core, are made available under Applečs Open
    Source license, allowing developers and students to view source code,
    learn from it and submit suggestions and modifications. In addition,
    Apple uses software created by the Open Source community, such as the
    HTML rendering engine for Safari, and returns its enhancements to the
    community.

    Apple believes that using Open Source methodology makes Mac OS X a more
    robust, secure operating system, as its core components have been
    subjected to the crucible of peer review for decades. Any problems found
    with this software can be immediately identified and fixed by Apple and
    the Open Source community.

    If youčre a developer, we invite you to inspect Mac OS X under the hood,
    free of charge, by joining the Darwin development process or just see a
    sampling of the Open Source projects used and created by Apple.

  3. Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux

    yakety yak wrote:

    > Linux is all about open source code and the powers and freedoms that
    > arise from that. By its very nature as proprietary software, OS-X can
    > never "out-linux Linux".

    In fink.sf.net, you only have about 5000 packages software that work for
    apple.

    There are about 24000 on my "simple" free ubuntu/debian...
    Linus Torvalds did it all ... ;-)

    ---
    Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch,
    Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish,
    Portuguese, ...
    http://shortwave.blogsite.org/ Updated every month or so ....

  4. Re: Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:22:48 -0700, Oxford wrote:

    > yakety yak wrote:
    >
    >> > So here are my observations: Mac OS X, and Apple's development
    >> > paradigm, is the anti-Linux. And it's Steve Jobs's big accomplishment
    >> > that Apple has built a better (I should actually say "more
    >> > successful") Linux than Linus Torvalds has ever been able to do.

    >> Linux is all about open source code and the powers and freedoms that
    >> arise from that. By its very nature as proprietary software, OS-X can
    >> never "out-linux Linux".

    > actually OSX is mostly opensource as well. you can get started here:

    Actually, the parts that differentiate OS X from other *nix derivatives
    is all CSS.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread