VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) -Gutsy error. Why? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) -Gutsy error. Why? - Ubuntu ; Hi folks, I am having this weired message while trying to install VMware Player from Gutsy Partners repository: "VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided to ...

  1. VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) -Gutsy error. Why?

    Hi folks,

    I am having this weired message while trying to install VMware Player
    from Gutsy Partners repository:

    "VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either
    the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided
    to not support your computer type."

    I am running Gutsy on Dell Latitude d820.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) - Gutsy error. Why?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:20:20 GMT, Vitorio
    wrote:

    >I am having this weired message while trying to install VMware Player
    >from Gutsy Partners repository:
    >
    >"VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either
    >the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided
    >to not support your computer type."
    >
    >I am running Gutsy on Dell Latitude d820.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Try VirtualBox instead - http://virtualbox.org.

  3. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) - Gutsy error. Why?

    well, i'm going to it tomorrow for sure. but... i'm just puzzled...
    why?!!!.. what's the heck is wrong with my dell? or with gutsy? :-)

    wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:20:20 GMT, Vitorio
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am having this weired message while trying to install VMware Player
    >>from Gutsy Partners repository:
    >>
    >>"VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either
    >>the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided
    >>to not support your computer type."
    >>
    >>I am running Gutsy on Dell Latitude d820.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?

    > Try VirtualBox instead - http://virtualbox.org.

  4. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386)- Gutsy error. Why?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 02:13:46 GMT
    "Vittorio Okio" wrote:

    > well, i'm going to it tomorrow for sure. but... i'm just puzzled...
    > why?!!!.. what's the heck is wrong with my dell? or with gutsy? :-)

    Are you sure it's either? I mean, given that you're TOP posting from
    OE ;-)

    IME there's a few things wrong with VMWare, causes error messages about
    not being able to save your profile because you don't own a certain
    file and have correct permissions on it. I've lost 2 VMs due to
    hardware failure, no, really, my h/w's fine but these 2 VMs can't
    find any disks.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  5. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) - Gutsy error. Why?

    Trevor Best wrote in

    > IME there's a few things wrong with VMWare, causes error messages about
    > not being able to save your profile because you don't own a certain
    > file and have correct permissions on it. I've lost 2 VMs due to
    > hardware failure, no, really, my h/w's fine but these 2 VMs can't
    > find any disks.

    I booted up Ubuntu tonight, and promptly got a message box about non-owned
    dependencies related to VMWare. VMWare used to be payware - are they
    thinking about going down that road again?

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  6. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) -Gutsy error. Why?

    Vittorio Okio ("Vittorio Okio" ) gurgled
    happily, sounding much like they were saying:

    > well, i'm going to it tomorrow for sure. but... i'm just puzzled...
    > why?!!!.. what's the heck is wrong with my dell? or with gutsy? :-)

    Nothing inherent, I don't think. I installed VMWare player fine on Gutsy
    on this D800.

  7. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) - Gutsy error. Why?

    May be the difference is in that my "this" is D820 but not as your "this"
    that is D800? :-) Though to me it really sounds crazy.

    Actually this is what happens with me... I find VMware in "Add Remove
    Programs", check VMware for install and then as soon as I click Apply I have
    that nasty message and the applet refuses to proceed.

    I'll try today to use apt-get install instead.

    "Adrian" wrote in message
    news:47385cd2$0$47112$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > Vittorio Okio ("Vittorio Okio" ) gurgled
    > happily, sounding much like they were saying:
    >
    >> well, i'm going to it tomorrow for sure. but... i'm just puzzled...
    >> why?!!!.. what's the heck is wrong with my dell? or with gutsy? :-)

    > Nothing inherent, I don't think. I installed VMWare player fine on Gutsy
    > on this D800.

  8. Re: VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386) -Gutsy error. Why?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 02:13:46 +0000, Vittorio Okio wrote:

    > well, i'm going to it tomorrow for sure. but... i'm just puzzled...
    > why?!!!.. what's the heck is wrong with my dell? or with gutsy? :-)
    >

    > wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:20:20 GMT, Vitorio wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am having this weired message while trying to install VMware Player
    >>>from Gutsy Partners repository:
    >>>
    >>>"VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either
    >>>the application requires special hardware features or the vendor
    >>>decided to not support your computer type."
    >>>
    >>>I am running Gutsy on Dell Latitude d820.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?

    >> Try VirtualBox instead - http://virtualbox.org.

    Well, I gave up on my attempts to figure out why VMware is not allowed to
    be installed on my Dell and did installed VirtualBox.

    What to say?.. I'm glad I couldn't install VMware. I'm very impressed
    by VirtualBox and so far happy with it. Great product. And free... :-)

    Thanks for suggesting it.

+ Reply to Thread