SmartDisk NAS problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on SmartDisk NAS problem - Ubuntu ; I did post about this earlier, but nobody took it up. My supplier has sent me a second identical SmartDisk SOHO NAS unit in case the first was defective, but the results are the same. Whilst Ubuntu compatibility isn't claimed, ...

  1. SmartDisk NAS problem

    I did post about this earlier, but nobody took it up. My supplier has
    sent me a second identical SmartDisk SOHO NAS unit in case the first
    was defective, but the results are the same. Whilst Ubuntu
    compatibility isn't claimed, the manual shows a Red Hat OS connected,
    so /some/ Linux is ok...

    Whilst both units are happy serving to Windows, file writing from Ub
    results in an 8k truncated file which cannot be deleted using either
    Ub or Windows 2k ("Directory busy", Ub; "File in use", Windows). I
    presume that actual error is because the file hasn't been closed;
    but I would appreciate thoughts as to how to get these NAS's to
    work...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies

  2. Re: SmartDisk NAS problem

    Mark wrote:
    > I did post about this earlier, but nobody took it up. My supplier has
    > sent me a second identical SmartDisk SOHO NAS unit in case the first
    > was defective, but the results are the same. Whilst Ubuntu
    > compatibility isn't claimed, the manual shows a Red Hat OS connected,
    > so /some/ Linux is ok...
    >
    > Whilst both units are happy serving to Windows, file writing from Ub
    > results in an 8k truncated file which cannot be deleted using either
    > Ub or Windows 2k ("Directory busy", Ub; "File in use", Windows). I
    > presume that actual error is because the file hasn't been closed;
    > but I would appreciate thoughts as to how to get these NAS's to
    > work...

    Do you use nautilus? if yes, try using another one or copy files using
    terminal shell just to see if it behaves in the same way. I run into
    similar issues from time to time with Gnome's browser (nautilus) with
    mounted FAT32 partitions using a USB connection. This maybe a bug.

  3. Re: SmartDisk NAS problem

    In message <4739333c$0$1753$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>
    "A. Ben Hmeda" wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    > > I did post about this earlier, but nobody took it up. My supplier has
    > > sent me a second identical SmartDisk SOHO NAS unit in case the first
    > > was defective, but the results are the same. Whilst Ubuntu
    > > compatibility isn't claimed, the manual shows a Red Hat OS connected,
    > > so /some/ Linux is ok...
    > >
    > > Whilst both units are happy serving to Windows, file writing from Ub
    > > results in an 8k truncated file which cannot be deleted using either
    > > Ub or Windows 2k ("Directory busy", Ub; "File in use", Windows). I
    > > presume that actual error is because the file hasn't been closed;
    > > but I would appreciate thoughts as to how to get these NAS's to
    > > work...
    > >

    > Do you use nautilus? if yes, try using another one or copy files using
    > terminal shell just to see if it behaves in the same way. I run into
    > similar issues from time to time with Gnome's browser (nautilus) with
    > mounted FAT32 partitions using a USB connection. This maybe a bug.

    Dolphin and Konqueror both show a block being written, then they
    stall...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies