3D Desktop in Kubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 3D Desktop in Kubuntu - Ubuntu ; I installed Compiz 3D desktop for my Kubuntu 7.10, following the guide lines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion During the installation I got no error messages. So I suppose the installation was ok. My Nvidia 3D accelerator is also enabled. However.... I don't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    I installed Compiz 3D desktop for my Kubuntu 7.10, following the guide lines
    in
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion

    During the installation I got no error messages.
    So I suppose the installation was ok.
    My Nvidia 3D accelerator is also enabled.

    However.... I don't see any 3D cube.

    In Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings -> Desktop , I
    have Desktop Cube enabled

    I also have 3D Desktop enabled at start:
    echo "compiz --replace" > ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh
    chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh

    What more do I need to do ?

    Rgds
    Henk

  2. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > I installed Compiz 3D desktop for my Kubuntu 7.10, following the guide lines
    > in
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion
    >
    > During the installation I got no error messages.
    > So I suppose the installation was ok.
    > My Nvidia 3D accelerator is also enabled.
    >
    > However.... I don't see any 3D cube.
    >
    > In Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings -> Desktop , I
    > have Desktop Cube enabled
    >
    > I also have 3D Desktop enabled at start:
    > echo "compiz --replace" > ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh
    > chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh
    >
    > What more do I need to do ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Henk

    Ubuntu kde ...
    Well, in xubuntu after installing a vga (vesa, in my case) driver:

    VGA 3D: (ubuntu) nvidia-glx: NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver.
    Shell: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    for: Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  3. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    xubunt6 wrote:

    > Ubuntu kde ...
    > Well, in xubuntu after installing a vga (vesa, in my case) driver:
    >
    > VGA 3D: (ubuntu) nvidia-glx: NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver.
    > Shell: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

    I'm not sure what I should do in this case.
    I also tried: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    However, that gives me error:

    Error: your X configuration has been altered.
    This script cannot proceed automatically. If you believe that this is not
    correct, you can update the md5sum entry executing the following command:
    md5sum /etc/Xaa/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    otherwise edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the Driver section from
    nv to vidia.

    Can I do this? (without messing up my system !)

    > for: Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x

  4. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > I installed Compiz 3D desktop for my Kubuntu 7.10, following the guide lines
    > in
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion
    >
    > During the installation I got no error messages.
    > So I suppose the installation was ok.
    > My Nvidia 3D accelerator is also enabled.

    Do a $ ps -A | grep compiz
    It will tell if compiz.real is running

    > However.... I don't see any 3D cube.

    But do you see any other 3D effects, like several desktops that you van
    switch to by dragging a window to the left or right?
    Or Ctrl+Alt+ down arrow to see a strip with your desktops?

    Maybe a stupid remark but you need to have at least 2 desktops enabled
    to make anything rotate and 4 desktops to make it a cube.

    > In Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings -> Desktop , I
    > have Desktop Cube enabled
    >
    > I also have 3D Desktop enabled at start:
    > echo "compiz --replace" > ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh
    > chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh

    Personally I prefer to start and stop Compiz manually or via the Compiz
    Fusion Icon, a little utility with short cuts to the various settings:
    http://wiki.opencompositing.org/CompizFusionIcon

    > What more do I need to do ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Henk

  5. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> I installed Compiz 3D desktop for my Kubuntu 7.10, following the guide
    >> lines in
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion
    >>
    >> During the installation I got no error messages.
    >> So I suppose the installation was ok.
    >> My Nvidia 3D accelerator is also enabled.

    > Do a $ ps -A | grep compiz
    > It will tell if compiz.real is running

    You are right.
    $ ps -A | grep compiz does NOT give me any output.

    When I do
    $ compiz --replace

    I get:
    Checking for Xgl: not present <-----------??????
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: ....
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present
    Checking for non power of two supported: present
    checking for composite extension: present
    Comparing resolution (1280X1024) to maximum 3D texture size(2048): Passed
    Checking for nVidia: present
    Less tahn 65536kb of memory and nVidiaaborting and using
    fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
    no /usr/bin/metacity found. exiting

    >> However.... I don't see any 3D cube.

    > But do you see any other 3D effects, like several desktops that you van
    > switch to by dragging a window to the left or right?

    NO
    > Or Ctrl+Alt+ down arrow to see a strip with your desktops?

    NO

    > Maybe a stupid remark but you need to have at least 2 desktops enabled
    > to make anything rotate and 4 desktops to make it a cube.

    I have 4 desktops

    >> In Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings -> Desktop , I
    >> have Desktop Cube enabled
    >>
    >> I also have 3D Desktop enabled at start:
    >> echo "compiz --replace" > ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh
    >> chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startcompiz.sh

    > Personally I prefer to start and stop Compiz manually or via the Compiz
    > Fusion Icon, a little utility with short cuts to the various settings:
    > http://wiki.opencompositing.org/CompizFusionIcon
    >>
    >> What more do I need to do ?
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >> Henk

  6. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >> Ubuntu kde ...
    >> Well, in xubuntu after installing a vga (vesa, in my case) driver:
    >>
    >> VGA 3D: (ubuntu) nvidia-glx: NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver.
    >> Shell: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

    > I'm not sure what I should do in this case.
    > I also tried: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    > However, that gives me error:
    >
    > Error: your X configuration has been altered.
    > This script cannot proceed automatically. If you believe that this is not
    > correct, you can update the md5sum entry executing the following command:
    > md5sum /etc/Xaa/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    > otherwise edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the Driver section from
    > nv to vidia.
    >
    > Can I do this? (without messing up my system !)
    >
    >> for: Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x

    Sorry, i have to quit here ...
    I will not suggest something to someone else here when i am not sure
    what to do now, here.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  7. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Checking for nVidia: present
    > Less tahn 65536kb of memory and nVidia aborting and using
    > fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

    Seems that the failure point is the memory check. The config file is
    looking for 64MB and maybe you only have 32MB. So, try the following:

    Edit the config file with this command in Terminal:
    sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz
    Then edit the file with this:
    # NVIDIA_MEMORY="65536" # 64MB ==> comment out the 64MB line
    NVIDIA_MEMORY="32768" # 32MB ==> add the 32MB line
    Save and exit the file.

    Try compiz again. See if that helps.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> Checking for nVidia: present
    >> Less tahn 65536kb of memory and nVidia aborting and using
    >> fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

    > Seems that the failure point is the memory check. The config file is
    > looking for 64MB and maybe you only have 32MB. So, try the following:
    >
    > Edit the config file with this command in Terminal:
    > sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz
    > Then edit the file with this:
    > # NVIDIA_MEMORY="65536" # 64MB ==> comment out the 64MB line
    > NVIDIA_MEMORY="32768" # 32MB ==> add the 32MB line
    > Save and exit the file.
    >
    > Try compiz again. See if that helps.

    It helps a lot !
    I'm nearly there now.

    What I notice now is following:
    In the taskbar (down on the screen), it looks like that I have 16 desktops
    (??). In reality I only have four. Desktop numbers 5-16 all show Desktop 1
    when I move the mouse over the desktop.
    The desktop are numbered like this:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Desktop 1-5-9-13 represents desktop 1
    Desktop 2-6-10-14 represents desktop 2
    Desktop 3-7-11-15 represents desktop 3
    Desktop 4-8-12-16 represents desktop 4

    Is it suppose to be like this?

    When I change desktop(by clicking on the desktop number, or with
    CTRL+ALT+left(right) arrow key, the desktop window turns left or right.
    How do I make the cube visible?

  9. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > What I notice now is following:
    > In the taskbar (down on the screen), it looks like that I have 16 desktops

    Are you now getting some effects, at least?

    > Is it suppose to be like this?

    No. Maybe, depends. I don't use KDE (right now), so not sure if Advanced
    Desktop Effects Settings are the same.

    Make sure you have ccsm installed. apt-get install
    compizconfig-settings-manager. Then from terminal type ccsm.

    When you open it, do you see a "General Options" tab? Go there, then to
    "Desktop Size" tab, and make sure "Horizontal Virtual Size" is set to 4.
    Then back to the main settings page and make sure the "Rotate Cube" tab
    is checked.

    > When I change desktop(by clicking on the desktop number, or with
    > CTRL+ALT+left(right) arrow key, the desktop window turns left or right.
    > How do I make the cube visible?

    Make sure you did above steps, then try again.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  10. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Henk Oegema wrote:
    >>> Checking for nVidia: present
    >>> Less tahn 65536kb of memory and nVidia aborting and using
    >>> fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

    >> Seems that the failure point is the memory check. The config file is
    >> looking for 64MB and maybe you only have 32MB. So, try the following:
    >>
    >> Edit the config file with this command in Terminal:
    >> sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz
    >> Then edit the file with this:
    >> # NVIDIA_MEMORY="65536" # 64MB ==> comment out the 64MB line
    >> NVIDIA_MEMORY="32768" # 32MB ==> add the 32MB line
    >> Save and exit the file.
    >>
    >> Try compiz again. See if that helps.

    > It helps a lot !
    > I'm nearly there now.
    >
    > What I notice now is following:
    > In the taskbar (down on the screen), it looks like that I have 16 desktops

    Yep there is a conflict between KDE and Compiz, both add desktops.
    So when you have set 4 in KDE Compiz will set 4 desktops too,
    regretfully for EVERY kde desktop; 4x4=16.

    > (??). In reality I only have four. Desktop numbers 5-16 all show Desktop 1
    > when I move the mouse over the desktop.
    > The desktop are numbered like this:
    > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    > 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    > Desktop 1-5-9-13 represents desktop 1
    > Desktop 2-6-10-14 represents desktop 2
    > Desktop 3-7-11-15 represents desktop 3
    > Desktop 4-8-12-16 represents desktop 4

    In case Johnny Bobby Bee's message did not fix it see the Kubuntu forums:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088518.0

    > Is it suppose to be like this?
    >
    > When I change desktop(by clicking on the desktop number, or with
    > CTRL+ALT+left(right) arrow key, the desktop window turns left or right.
    > How do I make the cube visible?

    The cube becomes 3D when you press Ctrl+Alt and left click anywhere in
    the screen.

  11. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> What I notice now is following:
    >> In the taskbar (down on the screen), it looks like that I have 16
    >> desktops

    > Are you now getting some effects, at least?

    Yes, I get.
    Wobbly windows. Rotating desktop (NO CUBE)

    >> Is it suppose to be like this?

    > No. Maybe, depends. I don't use KDE (right now), so not sure if Advanced
    > Desktop Effects Settings are the same.
    >
    > Make sure you have ccsm installed.

    I have.
    > apt-get install
    > compizconfig-settings-manager. Then from terminal type ccsm.
    >
    > When you open it, do you see a "General Options" tab? Go there, then to
    > "Desktop Size" tab, and make sure "Horizontal Virtual Size" is set to 4.

    I have done that
    > Then back to the main settings page and make sure the "Rotate Cube" tab
    > is checked.

    That one is checked.

    >> When I change desktop(by clicking on the desktop number, or with
    >> CTRL+ALT+left(right) arrow key, the desktop window turns left or right.
    >> How do I make the cube visible?

    > Make sure you did above steps, then try again.

    I did all steps, but...... NO CUBE

  12. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > In case Johnny Bobby Bee's message did not fix it see the Kubuntu forums:
    > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088518.0

    I have read this article now.
    The problem with the desktops is fixed.
    I choose one (1) desktop in Configure Desktop in KDE and 4 windows in
    Kmenu -> Settings -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

    >> When I change desktop(by clicking on the desktop number, or with
    >> CTRL+ALT+left(right) arrow key, the desktop window turns left or right.
    >> How do I make the cube visible?
    >>

    > The cube becomes 3D when you press Ctrl+Alt and left click anywhere in
    > the screen.

    Unfortunately the cube doesn't show up with CTRL+ALT+left click.
    I can only change desktop by CTR+ALT+<- (or ->) (arrow keys) or clicking on
    the desktop number.

  13. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:22:50 +0000, Henk Oegema wrote:

    >> Make sure you did above steps, then try again.

    > I did all steps, but...... NO CUBE

    Somewhere there is a setting for the rotation speed of the cube. If it's
    set too fast you won't see the cube rotate.

  14. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:22:50 +0000, Henk Oegema wrote:
    >
    >>> Make sure you did above steps, then try again.

    >> I did all steps, but...... NO CUBE

    > Somewhere there is a setting for the rotation speed of the cube. If it's
    > set too fast you won't see the cube rotate.

    Do you know where that setting is?

    I have in the meantime installed Ubuntu i.s.o Kubuntu, just to test the
    effect of the 3D Cube.

    The behaviour in Ubuntu, is (nearly) the same as in Kubuntu.
    Wobbly windows etc. but NO cube.
    When changing to another desktop (by clicking on it in the taskbar, or with
    CTRL+ALT+arrow key ), I see for half a second a window with four slides and
    an arrow indication the direction left or right.

    These are my CompizConfig Settings:
    General:
    Audible Bell: ticked
    Hide Skip taskbar windows: ticked
    Ignore Hints When Maximised: ticked
    Terminal command line: gnome-terminal
    Cursor size: 18
    Ping delay: 5000
    Underect Fullscreen Windows: ticked
    Default icon: icon

    Commands:
    empty

    Desktop size:
    Horizontal Virtual Size: 4
    Vertical Virtual size: 1
    Number of Desktops: 1

    Display Settings:
    Texture Filter: Good
    Detect Refresh Rate: ticked
    Lighting: ticked
    Refresh Rate 25
    Sync To VBlank: not ticked
    Detect Outputs: ticked
    Outputs: 640x480+0+0

    Focus & Raise Behaviour
    Click to Focus: ticked
    Auto_raise: not ticked
    Auto-Raise Delay: 500
    Raise o click: ticked
    Focus Prevention windows: any

    Opacity Settings
    Opacity Step: 10

    Are these settings correct ?

    Rgds
    Henk

  15. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Why is a window sometimes black ?

    When I make the window smaller, the contents of the window becomes visible.
    When I make the window bigger again, that the window is black insite ?

  16. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Why is a window sometimes black ?
    >
    > When I make the window smaller, the contents of the window becomes visible.
    > When I make the window bigger again, that the window is black insite ?

    A window can turn black inside due to problems with the 3D rendering.
    It is often caused by a conflict between two 3d applications, Compiz
    being one of them.
    My Toshiba laptop has an Intel video card (i85x) and sometimes exhibits
    this problem, restarting X (Ctrl+Alt+BkSp) sometimes helps.
    Running Google Earth in Compiz is definitely a challenge for my system.

  17. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:

    >>> I did all steps, but...... NO CUBE

    >> Somewhere there is a setting for the rotation speed of the cube. If it's
    >> set too fast you won't see the cube rotate.

    > Do you know where that setting is?

    (Excuse me when I repeat something)
    Both the 'Cube' settings have to be enabled in ccsm, Desktop Cube and
    Rotate Cube.

    In the Rotate Cube settings is a slider, 3d. from bottom, that's
    labelled 'speed', when set to the minimum (0.1) the rotation becoms very
    slow.
    Set the 'zoom' (bottom) slider to 0.5, that should shrink the cube to
    half the screen size during rotation.

    > I have in the meantime installed Ubuntu i.s.o Kubuntu, just to test the
    > effect of the 3D Cube.
    >
    > The behaviour in Ubuntu, is (nearly) the same as in Kubuntu.
    > Wobbly windows etc. but NO cube.
    > When changing to another desktop (by clicking on it in the taskbar, or with
    > CTRL+ALT+arrow key ), I see for half a second a window with four slides and
    > an arrow indication the direction left or right.

    Hmm, sounds indeed like a very fast rotation, the zoom function might
    shed some light...

    > These are my CompizConfig Settings:
    > General:
    > Audible Bell: ticked
    > Hide Skip taskbar windows: ticked
    > Ignore Hints When Maximised: ticked
    > Terminal command line: gnome-terminal
    > Cursor size: 18
    > Ping delay: 5000
    > Underect Fullscreen Windows: ticked
    > Default icon: icon
    >
    > Commands:
    > empty
    >
    > Desktop size:
    > Horizontal Virtual Size: 4
    > Vertical Virtual size: 1
    > Number of Desktops: 1
    >
    > Display Settings:
    > Texture Filter: Good
    > Detect Refresh Rate: ticked
    > Lighting: ticked
    > Refresh Rate 25
    > Sync To VBlank: not ticked
    > Detect Outputs: ticked
    > Outputs: 640x480+0+0
    >
    > Focus & Raise Behaviour
    > Click to Focus: ticked
    > Auto_raise: not ticked
    > Auto-Raise Delay: 500
    > Raise o click: ticked

    This one does not function on my system, the tick will last for only
    half a second.

    > Focus Prevention windows: any
    >
    > Opacity Settings
    > Opacity Step: 10
    >

    > Are these settings correct ?

    I would say so.

    But for the rotation the two Cube settings are at least as important!

    > Rgds
    > Henk

  18. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >(Excuse me when I repeat something)

    No problem
    > Both the 'Cube' settings have to be enabled in ccsm, Desktop Cube and
    > Rotate Cube.

    They are.

    > In the Rotate Cube settings is a slider, 3d. from bottom, that's
    > labelled 'speed', when set to the minimum (0.1) the rotation becoms very
    > slow.

    I was not even aware that I could click on the items in CCSM to open a new
    window (shame shame). I was thinking I could only tick them on or off.
    I only clicked on General Options.
    > Set the 'zoom' (bottom) slider to 0.5, that should shrink the cube to
    > half the screen size during rotation.

    Correct

    > Hmm, sounds indeed like a very fast rotation, the zoom function might
    > shed some light...

    Your right.

    > But for the rotation the two Cube settings are at least as important!

    Yes, now I know.

    THANKS ALL FOR HELPING.

    (Should never have solved it alone !)

  19. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Usenet Reader wrote:
    > Just one more silly question, maybe, are you SURE that you REALLY have
    > more than 2 desktops available (the strange behavior of your system
    > makes me question this). The cube will not appear unless you have at
    > least 3 desktops available - that it recognizes. The default Ubuntu
    > only slaps 2 into your session. What your describe sounds like proper
    > behavior for 2 desktops (a flip left or right).

    Thanks for your comment.
    The problem has been solved.
    It was a timing issue.The cube was rotating so fast, they it was not
    possible to see that it was a cube.

  20. Re: 3D Desktop in Kubuntu

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:22:50 +0000, Henk Oegema wrote:
    >
    >>> Make sure you did above steps, then try again.

    >> I did all steps, but...... NO CUBE

    > Somewhere there is a setting for the rotation speed of the cube. If it's
    > set too fast you won't see the cube rotate.

    You are right. That was the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast