Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show - Ubuntu ; In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do ...

  1. Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red
    dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do the
    purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show only a
    black window.

    It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times and
    it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not happen.

  2. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    Rob wrote:

    > In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    > clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red
    > dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do the
    > purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show only a
    > black window.

    I have no solution to your problem.
    Only want to report that this does NOT happen and my pc with (K)ubuntu. I
    installed Google Earth via Automatix2 and it works perfectly.(inlcuding
    photos.)

    > It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times and
    > it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not happen.

  3. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    Rob wrote:
    > In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    > clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red
    > dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do the
    > purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show only a
    > black window.
    >
    > It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times and
    > it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not happen.

    Providing it's not a software/hardware fault these little dots are
    enabled via the settings menu.

    For the pictures:
    Layers/Core/Geographical web/Panoramio

    (This is translated from a Dutch version so there might be small
    differences)

  4. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:49:40 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >> In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    >> clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the
    >> red dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do
    >> the purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show
    >> only a black window.
    >>
    >> It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times
    >> and it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not
    >> happen.

    > Providing it's not a software/hardware fault these little dots are
    > enabled via the settings menu.
    >
    > For the pictures:
    > Layers/Core/Geographical web/Panoramio
    >
    > (This is translated from a Dutch version so there might be small
    > differences)

    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked, though, and everything under
    Geographical Web -- including Panoramio -- is selected.

  5. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:02 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    > clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red
    > dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do the
    > purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show only a
    > black window.
    >
    > It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times and
    > it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not happen.

    What do the purple ones do on XP?

    stonerfish

  6. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:02 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    >> clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the red
    >> dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do the
    >> purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show only a
    >> black window.
    >>
    >> It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times and
    >> it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not happen.

    > What do the purple ones do on XP?

    I don't know about XP but on the Linux version they refer to Wikipedia.

    > stonerfish

  7. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:45:27 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:02 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    >> clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the
    >> red dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do
    >> the purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show
    >> only a black window.
    >>
    >> It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times
    >> and it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not
    >> happen.

    > What do the purple ones do on XP?
    >
    > stonerfish

    Good question. I was posting on Ubuntu and didn't want to reboot to
    Windows just to check that, but I have now. They are a text plus
    (sometimes) photo panel of places of interest, including towns, in which
    case they give more detail than the window opened by the larger red dots.

    There's a curious related issue. In the brief town items (red dot) there
    is a link to view images. This opens in Firefox. In my case it opens
    Firefox but with the completely black window. Only the title bar visible.
    And I can't close it, only minimise it. And after this if I opened Pan it
    opened with a black window, too. I then rebooted and opened Firefox,
    without opening Google Earth. It showed me the photo page I should have
    seen before when I in fact got the black screen. But Firefox would not
    close normally (not responding) and I had to force it to close.

    I have Googled a bit and it looks as though others have various issues
    with Google Earth on Linux. So I guess I have to use Windows for it.

  8. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:04:50 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:45:27 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:02 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate
    >>> by clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and
    >>> the red dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't,
    >>> nor do the purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open
    >>> but show only a black window.
    >>>
    >>> It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times
    >>> and it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not
    >>> happen.

    >> What do the purple ones do on XP?
    >>
    >> stonerfish

    > Good question. I was posting on Ubuntu and didn't want to reboot to
    > Windows just to check that, but I have now. They are a text plus
    > (sometimes) photo panel of places of interest, including towns, in which
    > case they give more detail than the window opened by the larger red
    > dots.
    >
    > There's a curious related issue. In the brief town items (red dot) there
    > is a link to view images. This opens in Firefox. In my case it opens
    > Firefox but with the completely black window. Only the title bar
    > visible. And I can't close it, only minimise it. And after this if I
    > opened Pan it opened with a black window, too. I then rebooted and
    > opened Firefox, without opening Google Earth. It showed me the photo
    > page I should have seen before when I in fact got the black screen. But
    > Firefox would not close normally (not responding) and I had to force it
    > to close.
    >
    > I have Googled a bit and it looks as though others have various issues
    > with Google Earth on Linux. So I guess I have to use Windows for it.

    I've realised now that the "Images" link referred to above just enters
    the name of the town on images.google.com.

  9. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    Rob wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:45:27 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:02 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> In Google Earth there are photos, descriptions etc that you activate by
    >>> clicking on dots on the map. The yellow dots for information and the
    >>> red dots for towns open OK, but the blue dots for photos don't, nor do
    >>> the purple ones (not sure what they are for) which both open but show
    >>> only a black window.
    >>>
    >>> It's not a one-off fault, as I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times
    >>> and it always happens. In Windows XP on the same PC this does not
    >>> happen.

    >> What do the purple ones do on XP?
    >>
    >> stonerfish

    > Good question. I was posting on Ubuntu and didn't want to reboot to
    > Windows just to check that, but I have now. They are a text plus
    > (sometimes) photo panel of places of interest, including towns,

    It's part of Wikipedia.

    > in which
    > case they give more detail than the window opened by the larger red dots.
    >
    > There's a curious related issue. In the brief town items (red dot) there
    > is a link to view images. This opens in Firefox. In my case it opens
    > Firefox but with the completely black window. Only the title bar visible.
    > And I can't close it, only minimise it. And after this if I opened Pan it
    > opened with a black window, too. I then rebooted and opened Firefox,
    > without opening Google Earth. It showed me the photo page I should have
    > seen before when I in fact got the black screen. But Firefox would not
    > close normally (not responding) and I had to force it to close.
    >
    > I have Googled a bit and it looks as though others have various issues
    > with Google Earth on Linux. So I guess I have to use Windows for it.

    It is an issue with the 3D video display.
    Google can only run or even start up when you have 3D rendering enabled.
    Due to the not mature nature of the Video drivers made available for
    Linux this can cause conflicts with other applications.
    Especially running Google in Compiz can cause this black screen stuff,
    in straight KDE or Gnome it should not happen.

    Do you know you can usually kill a 'stuck' application by pressing
    Ctrl+Alt+Esc? This will place a skull&bones above the locked window and
    then pressing Enter will usually kill it.

  10. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:19:27 +0100, "Dirk T. Verbeek"
    wrote:

    >Rob wrote:

    >>> What do the purple ones do on XP?
    >>>
    >>> stonerfish

    >> Good question. I was posting on Ubuntu and didn't want to reboot to
    >> Windows just to check that, but I have now. They are a text plus
    >> (sometimes) photo panel of places of interest, including towns,

    >It's part of Wikipedia.
    >
    >> in which
    >> case they give more detail than the window opened by the larger red dots.
    >>
    >> There's a curious related issue. In the brief town items (red dot) there
    >> is a link to view images. This opens in Firefox. In my case it opens
    >> Firefox but with the completely black window. Only the title bar visible.
    >> And I can't close it, only minimise it. And after this if I opened Pan it
    >> opened with a black window, too. I then rebooted and opened Firefox,
    >> without opening Google Earth. It showed me the photo page I should have
    >> seen before when I in fact got the black screen. But Firefox would not
    >> close normally (not responding) and I had to force it to close.
    >>
    >> I have Googled a bit and it looks as though others have various issues
    >> with Google Earth on Linux. So I guess I have to use Windows for it.

    >It is an issue with the 3D video display.
    >Google can only run or even start up when you have 3D rendering enabled.
    >Due to the not mature nature of the Video drivers made available for
    >Linux this can cause conflicts with other applications.
    >Especially running Google in Compiz can cause this black screen stuff,
    >in straight KDE or Gnome it should not happen.
    >
    >Do you know you can usually kill a 'stuck' application by pressing
    >Ctrl+Alt+Esc? This will place a skull&bones above the locked window and
    >then pressing Enter will usually kill it.

    You are right. I went back to Windows for another look and there is a
    massive Wikipedia logo .

    So it seems clear now that there is no problem opening the items which
    are native to Google Earth, but that there is an issue with the link
    betweeen GE and Firefox. I'll see if reinstalling FF helps. And maybe
    seeing if using Opera as default browser helps. Is there anather
    browser in Ubuntu at all?

    As for Ctrl, Alt, Esc, no I didn't know that. Thanks. I tried the
    Windows Ctrl, Alt, Delete to no avail.

  11. Re: Google Earth on Ubuntu Gutsy: pics don't show

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:30:22 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:19:27 +0100, "Dirk T. Verbeek"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Rob wrote:

    >>> Good question. I was posting on Ubuntu and didn't want to reboot to
    >>> Windows just to check that, but I have now. They are a text plus
    >>> (sometimes) photo panel of places of interest, including towns,

    >>It's part of Wikipedia.
    >>
    >>> in which
    >>> case they give more detail than the window opened by the larger red
    >>> dots.
    >>>
    >>> There's a curious related issue. In the brief town items (red dot)
    >>> there is a link to view images. This opens in Firefox. In my case it
    >>> opens Firefox but with the completely black window. Only the title bar
    >>> visible. And I can't close it, only minimise it. And after this if I
    >>> opened Pan it opened with a black window, too. I then rebooted and
    >>> opened Firefox, without opening Google Earth. It showed me the photo
    >>> page I should have seen before when I in fact got the black screen.
    >>> But Firefox would not close normally (not responding) and I had to
    >>> force it to close.
    >>>
    >>> I have Googled a bit and it looks as though others have various issues
    >>> with Google Earth on Linux. So I guess I have to use Windows for it.

    >>It is an issue with the 3D video display. Google can only run or even
    >>start up when you have 3D rendering enabled. Due to the not mature
    >>nature of the Video drivers made available for Linux this can cause
    >>conflicts with other applications. Especially running Google in Compiz
    >>can cause this black screen stuff, in straight KDE or Gnome it should
    >>not happen.
    >>
    >>Do you know you can usually kill a 'stuck' application by pressing
    >>Ctrl+Alt+Esc? This will place a skull&bones above the locked window and
    >>then pressing Enter will usually kill it.

    > You are right. I went back to Windows for another look and there is a
    > massive Wikipedia logo .
    >
    > So it seems clear now that there is no problem opening the items which
    > are native to Google Earth, but that there is an issue with the link
    > betweeen GE and Firefox. I'll see if reinstalling FF helps. And maybe
    > seeing if using Opera as default browser helps. Is there anather browser
    > in Ubuntu at all?
    >
    > As for Ctrl, Alt, Esc, no I didn't know that. Thanks. I tried the
    > Windows Ctrl, Alt, Delete to no avail.

    I uninstalled Firefox, and Opera appears to have made itself the default
    browser as the windows in question now open in Opera, but they are still
    black. Open cleanly most of the time. No flickering or appearing to open
    twice. Freezing doesn't seem to happen now though. I can close these
    windows and the GE application normally. I don't know anything about
    Compiz, but I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 out of the box so I presume I'm using
    Gnome.

+ Reply to Thread