New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu ; I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back - Ubuntu 7.04 Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or a system hang. Now in the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 416

  1. New to this Linux lark - advice please

    I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back
    - Ubuntu 7.04

    Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or a
    system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm not so
    bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC with an Abit
    KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add
    another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).

    I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even that threw
    up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the desktop after I left it to
    get on with instaling or somesuch. I also got Kubuntu sort of running albeit at
    the speed of cold treacle, however all the program names beginning with a 'K' is
    a right turn off !

    Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a breeze on
    either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have any advice
    as to any distro to try next ?

    Graham

  2. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error
    > messages or a system hang.

    Maybe there is something wrong with the CD. You can check its integrity
    before/instead of booting it live.

    > Now in the case of my really old PC with a
    > 600MHz P3, I'm not so bothered but the other one is a moderately
    > adequately specced PC with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU.
    > It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add another 128 or 256 M
    > if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).

    I have a similar box with socket A MSI MS-6380E Via chipset 1.25
    gigahertz AMD Athlon XP w/ 394 ram and it does fine. It also does fine
    w/ Win98se.

    How much ram does the 600mhz P3 have? I think I would use a lighter
    distro than Ub for that.

    Ram 'kicking around' instead of populating a ram slot is like runway
    behind you or cold beer somewhere you aren't.

    That is, in case the analogy seems vague, the runway behind you isn't
    doing you any good, neither is the beer that is somewhere else, and I'll
    leave you to your imagination about how useful the ram is in a little
    plastic box and not in a slot. :-)

    > do you have any advice as to any distro to try next ?

    Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:12:41 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages
    > or a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3,
    > I'm not so bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced
    > PC with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at
    > the time but I could add another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have
    > the RAM kicking around).
    >
    > I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even
    > that threw up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the desktop
    > after I left it to get on with instaling or somesuch. I also got Kubuntu
    > sort of running albeit at the speed of cold treacle, however all the
    > program names beginning with a 'K' is a right turn off !
    >
    > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a
    > breeze on either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you
    > have any advice as to any distro to try next ?
    >
    > Graham

    I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer runs in
    text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more out of you
    than the GUI one does.

    Another alternative is to install the regular Ubuntu alternate install cd
    and then install the XFCE desktop by running (IIRC) apt-get install
    xubuntu-desktop. That way you can switch back and forth between the Gnome
    and XFCE desktops and decide which one you prefer.

    I would definitely throw more ram in if you have it, especially if you
    decide to run Gnome or KDE.

    There are lighter weight linuxes out there, but perhaps they're not the
    best choice if you're just getting started. Once you get it installed
    Xubuntu will by and large just work.

  4. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    > >
    > > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error
    > > messages or a system hang.

    > Maybe there is something wrong with the CD. You can check its integrity
    > before/instead of booting it live.

    I already have per the included function on the CD and also with a third party
    utility. No errors were detected.

    > > Now in the case of my really old PC with a
    > > 600MHz P3, I'm not so bothered but the other one is a moderately
    > > adequately specced PC with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU.
    > > It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add another 128 or 256 M
    > > if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).

    > I have a similar box with socket A MSI MS-6380E Via chipset 1.25
    > gigahertz AMD Athlon XP w/ 394 ram and it does fine. It also does fine
    > w/ Win98se.
    >
    > How much ram does the 600mhz P3 have?

    512MB.

    > I think I would use a lighter
    > distro than Ub for that.

    Will try Dapper Duck or whatever it's called.

    > Ram 'kicking around' instead of populating a ram slot is like runway
    > behind you or cold beer somewhere you aren't.
    >
    > That is, in case the analogy seems vague, the runway behind you isn't
    > doing you any good, neither is the beer that is somewhere else, and I'll
    > leave you to your imagination about how useful the ram is in a little
    > plastic box and not in a slot. :-)
    >
    > > do you have any advice as to any distro to try next ?

    > Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    Which one is that ?

    Graham

  5. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Carbon wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    >
    > > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    > >
    > > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages
    > > or a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3,
    > > I'm not so bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced
    > > PC with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at
    > > the time but I could add another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have
    > > the RAM kicking around).
    > >
    > > I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even
    > > that threw up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the desktop
    > > after I left it to get on with instaling or somesuch. I also got Kubuntu
    > > sort of running albeit at the speed of cold treacle, however all the
    > > program names beginning with a 'K' is a right turn off !
    > >
    > > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a
    > > breeze on either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you
    > > have any advice as to any distro to try next ?

    > I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer runs in
    > text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more out of you
    > than the GUI one does.

    Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea how to drive
    Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to that but it's not a
    priority right now.

    > Another alternative is to install the regular Ubuntu alternate install cd
    > and then install the XFCE desktop by running (IIRC) apt-get install
    > xubuntu-desktop. That way you can switch back and forth between the Gnome
    > and XFCE desktops and decide which one you prefer.

    That sounds like a reasonable idea if I knew how to do it !

    > I would definitely throw more ram in if you have it, especially if you
    > decide to run Gnome or KDE.

    OK - will add more.

    > There are lighter weight linuxes out there, but perhaps they're not the
    > best choice if you're just getting started. Once you get it installed
    > Xubuntu will by and large just work.

    You rate Xubuntu over 'full-fat' Ubuntu ? What really are the differences ?

    Graham

  6. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On 2007-11-11, Eeyore wrote:
    > Carbon wrote:

    [...]

    >> I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer runs in
    >> text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more out of you
    >> than the GUI one does.

    > Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea how to drive
    > Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to that but it's not a
    > priority right now.

    Alternate cd does not involve a command line interface. It provides a
    series of menus that you navigate with keyboard. It is pretty
    straightforward and will often succeed IMHO where the more extravagant
    gui installer fails.

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

  7. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:27:36 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

    > Carbon wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    >> > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    >> >
    >> > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error
    >> > messages or a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a
    >> > 600MHz P3, I'm not so bothered but the other one is a moderately
    >> > adequately specced PC with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU.
    >> > It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add another 128 or 256 M
    >> > if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).
    >> >
    >> > I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even
    >> > that threw up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the
    >> > desktop after I left it to get on with instaling or somesuch. I also
    >> > got Kubuntu sort of running albeit at the speed of cold treacle,
    >> > however all the program names beginning with a 'K' is a right turn
    >> > off !
    >> >
    >> > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs
    >> > a breeze on either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy,
    >> > do you have any advice as to any distro to try next ?

    >> I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer runs
    >> in text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more out of
    >> you than the GUI one does.

    > Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea how
    > to drive Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to that but
    > it's not a priority right now.
    >

    >> Another alternative is to install the regular Ubuntu alternate install
    >> cd and then install the XFCE desktop by running (IIRC) apt-get install
    >> xubuntu-desktop. That way you can switch back and forth between the
    >> Gnome and XFCE desktops and decide which one you prefer.

    > That sounds like a reasonable idea if I knew how to do it !
    >

    >> I would definitely throw more ram in if you have it, especially if you
    >> decide to run Gnome or KDE.

    > OK - will add more.
    >

    >> There are lighter weight linuxes out there, but perhaps they're not the
    >> best choice if you're just getting started. Once you get it installed
    >> Xubuntu will by and large just work.

    > You rate Xubuntu over 'full-fat' Ubuntu ? What really are the
    > differences ?

    Lighter user interface that isn't as demanding as Gnome or KDE. Also the
    apps included by default in Xubuntu also have lower requirements more
    suitable for lower spec systems.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:24 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > On 2007-11-11, Eeyore wrote:
    >> Carbon wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer runs
    >>> in text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more out of
    >>> you than the GUI one does.

    >> Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea how
    >> to drive Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to that
    >> but it's not a priority right now.

    > Alternate cd does not involve a command line interface. It provides a
    > series of menus that you navigate with keyboard. It is pretty
    > straightforward and will often succeed IMHO where the more extravagant
    > gui installer fails.

    Think Win9x type installer.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  9. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I think I would use a lighter
    >> distro than Ub for that.

    > Will try Dapper Duck or whatever it's called.

    Xubuntu is the light (GUI) version of Ubuntu, takes a bit of getting
    used to but is very nice.

    >> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    > Which one is that ?

    Puppy Linux.

    > Graham

  10. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > You rate Xubuntu over 'full-fat' Ubuntu ?

    Definitely, if you have either limited hardware resources or a desire
    for /real/ speed!

    > What really are the differences ?

    Xubuntu uses a lightweight desktop - xfce - which runs remarkably well on
    older hardware. Ubuntu or Kubuntu use Gnome and kde respectively which are
    both very large and relatively inefficient, particularly on older hardware.

    C.

  11. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back
    > - Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or a
    > system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm not so
    > bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC with an Abit
    > KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add
    > another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).
    >
    > I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even that threw
    > up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the desktop after I left it to
    > get on with instaling or somesuch. I also got Kubuntu sort of running albeit at
    > the speed of cold treacle, however all the program names beginning with a 'K' is
    > a right turn off !
    >
    > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have any advice
    > as to any distro to try next ?
    >
    > Graham

    I also have an Abit kt7a motherboard except mine
    is with the Athlon 1600xp.
    when it had 256 ram it ran win98 fine when I went
    to change to Gutsy the Live CD ran fine but then
    it always stalled on install. I increased the ram
    to 512 and installation went without problem. Been
    running Gutsy and lovin it ever since.
    caver1

  12. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sunday 11 Nov 2007 06:12 Eeyore licked a pencil and jotted:

    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or
    > a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm
    > not so bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC
    > with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the
    > time but I could add another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the
    > RAM kicking around).

    snip

    I see lots of people have suggested extra ram, IIUC the GUI installer needs
    256MB minimum to run, you have 256, have you got integrated graphics by any
    chance? That will take you below the minimum.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  13. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:12:41 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back
    > - Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or a
    > system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm not so
    > bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC with an Abit
    > KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the time but I could add
    > another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the RAM kicking around).
    >
    > I fared slightly better with a copy of Xubuntu I downloaded but even that threw
    > up an 'unexpected process termination' message on the desktop after I left it to
    > get on with instaling or somesuch. I also got Kubuntu sort of running albeit at
    > the speed of cold treacle, however all the program names beginning with a 'K' is
    > a right turn off !
    >
    > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have any advice
    > as to any distro to try next ?
    >
    > Graham

    I have a similar problem. Nothing I've tried (except as noted) using live
    cd's has stayed up on my machine. I don't get any error message, machine
    just tries to restart but hangs after running a while.
    Ubuntu version 6.06.1 is what I have installed, I've been running it for a
    number of weeks now and it seems quite stable. I have 512mb ram with
    shared built in video. I suspect but cannot be sure that this is the
    problem. The installation is on a 2nd hd which is only 4gb. I thought if I
    liked Linux I would throw in something larger, which I will do when I get
    around to it.
    Dave Cohen

  14. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have any advice
    > as to any distro to try next ?

    One reason Windows installs easier is that you're not running the OS
    from a Live CD. The Windows installers are analogous to the text-based
    installers on the *buntu Alternate CDs.

    My mainstream machine sometimes has trouble with some Live CDs. Gutsy is
    one. But after installing with the Alternate CD, it runs great. In my
    experience, the *buntu Live CDs just don't do as well as some of the others.

    If you're experimenting and just want to check things out, you don't
    need to limit yourself to *buntu. My recommendations would be
    SimplyMEPIS and PCLinuxOS. Both are Live CDs with installers, running
    the KDE desktop. I personally find them to be better implementations of
    KDE that Kubuntu. The current stable MEPIS offering is based on Ubuntu
    6.06 (Dapper Drake); it will soon be replaced by a new version based on
    Debian Etch, with certain applications brought in from Lenny. PCLinuxOS
    is a thoroughly massaged Mandriva derivative, currently #1 on the
    DistroWatch.com Page Hit Rankings.

    As for your older machine, you're up against a performance vs. usability
    wall. In my experience, on nearly identical hardware, the best option is
    Vector 5.8 SOHO. With that, you'll get the performance of a Slackware
    base and the usability of a full KDE desktop.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  15. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> How much ram does the 600mhz P3 have?

    > 512MB.

    >> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    > Which one is that ?

    http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 Puppy Linux is a
    fast, small, free, fully featured Linux distribution (distro). -- Puppy
    Linux is described as AMAZING in the Ubuntu Forums. Top off your
    surprise with this video clip.

    That old P3 with plenty of ram for puppy will make whatever OS you are
    running in there, such as XP look like molasses.

    --
    Mike Easter

  16. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On 2007-11-11, Eeyore hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got
    > a live CD a while back - Ubuntu 7.04

    I've read all responses in the thread, and there is nothing
    left in terms of giving more advice... :-)

    I'll just tell you the "Specs" on this PC.

    product: AcerPower
    vendor: Acer Computer GmbH
    version: 1.0
    ------------

    *-cpu
    product: Pentium II (Deschutes)
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    version: 6.5.2
    size: 350MHz
    capacity: 450MHz
    -------------------------

    RAM size: 512MB

    size: 350MHz <-- Does this mean it runs right now only at
    350MHz? Well then this definitely a candidate for overclocking :-) :-)

    I used Xfce before, and I switched to ICEWM another lightweight WM.
    Here on this "GG" I use XFCE because when I set up the PC I didn't think
    I'll be using it a long time as I'm in the process of building a liquid
    cooled system. Still waiting for the GrCArd to arrive.

    What I'm getting at is that a lightweight WM will serve you very good on
    your PIII.

    > Graham

    Dragomir Kollaric

  17. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:32:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    OK, I think we have to accept that Puppy advocacy is seriously off-topic
    in a.o.l.u, right?

    However, just to clear up some issues that Mike has raised, I'm going to
    add some remarks.

    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> How much ram does the 600mhz P3 have?

    >> 512MB.

    >>> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    Lots of Linux liveCDs will run completely in RAM, in fact all of them will.
    It just depends how much RAM. DSL will run in about 32MB, Puppy takes
    about 150MB or so, Knoppix needs a full GB.

    >> Which one is that ?

    > http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 Puppy Linux is a
    > fast, small, free, fully featured Linux distribution (distro). -- Puppy
    > Linux is described as AMAZING in the Ubuntu Forums. Top off your
    > surprise with this video clip.

    Fast, small, and free are all relative terms. Especially when
    leading lights on the Puppy forum have stated publicly that they
    don't care about the ideals of free software.

    "Fully featured" is an absolute claim, and definitely not justified for a
    distro with no development environment included and no coherent package
    management system.

    > That old P3 with plenty of ram for puppy will make whatever OS you are
    > running in there, such as XP look like molasses.

    That's true, but the same is true of many Linux distros, and on an old P3
    with 128MB of RAM there are many choices that will be faster and more
    productive, such as a minimal Ubuntu install, a minimal Debian** install,
    a minimal Slackware**** install, .... Well, you get the idea.

    ** AntiX Mepis is a great way to get started on this, and runs on stuff
    Puppy will choke on.

    **** Absolute Linux being a prepackaged example that I have tested as being
    much faster in every way than Puppy on the same hardware.

  18. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:44:20 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > size: 350MHz <-- Does this mean it runs right now only at
    > 350MHz? Well then this definitely a candidate for overclocking

    That's only a myth. Most modern machines spend most of their wait time
    waiting on memory. Overclocking them only means they spend more cycles
    waiting and fail quickly.

  19. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Mark South wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    > OK, I think we have to accept that Puppy advocacy is seriously
    > off-topic in a.o.l.u, right?

    Sure, but so is runway behind you and cold beer.

    IMO inmyopinion it is just fine if you want to talk about other distros
    in here and also to express some negative vibes about Puppy.

    We don't need no steenkin' topic badges. (Alfonso Bedoya/ GoldHat/
    'Treasure..')

    > ** AntiX Mepis is a great way to get started on this, and runs on
    > stuff Puppy will choke on.

    I like AntiX.

    > **** Absolute Linux being a prepackaged example that I have tested as
    > being much faster in every way than Puppy on the same hardware.

    I haven't tasted that one.

    But 512 of ram is plenty for a lot of different things.

    --
    Mike Easter

  20. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a
    >> breeze on either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have
    >> any advice as to any distro to try next ?

    > My advice is to stick with Windows. It suits you.

    In what way exactly ?

    Graham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast