New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu ; Eeyore writes: > johnny bobby bee wrote: > >> Eeyore wrote: >> > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works. >> >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too. >> >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 416

  1. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore writes:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >> > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    Ignore that idiot. It's a trade off. I had to buy new network card, new
    wireless card, more than one video card, get rid of a USB keyboard, a new
    sound card and a new printer to get my first Ubuntu install working.

    On my latest PC, all new HW, it all just worked. After I spent 3 days
    finding a kernel which would correctly talk to the SATA system that it.

    --
    This fortune was brought to you by the people at Hewlett-Packard.

  2. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> In what way exactly ?

    > 1. Subject "Linux lark".
    >
    > Vista, now that's funny!
    >
    > 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs
    > a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy
    >
    > Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    > answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    > release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written. Or
    > better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn hardware.

    What you are saying is true. But....to someone who
    is new to Linux why he can install one OS whith no
    problem and the other not will make you ask the
    question.... WHY?.
    Legitimate if you truly want the answer.
    caver1

  3. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:

    >>> No, there's no integrated graphics on a KT7A. There's an MX440 64MB card in
    >>> there.

    >> Siluro?

    > Some 'no name' Asian card stuffer's effort. They're usually pretty much the
    > reference designs.
    >
    > Graham

    Its an Abit card. Good not the best and definitely
    not 'no name'. Rated as one of the best of its
    class at the time.
    caver1

  4. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >>> Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?
    >
    > Graham

    Research.
    caver1

  5. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please (Correction)

    Keith Gregory wrote:
    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    >> while back
    >> - Ubuntu 7.04
    >>

    > Here are a few observations of mine;
    >
    > Always burn the CD at a low speed - 4-8Mb/sec
    > Always verify writing
    > Always check CD at install, be ready to bin it and start again.
    >
    > cheers kfg

    Duhhhhhhh

    Always burn the CD at a low speed - 4x - 8x

    xcheers kfg

  6. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >>> Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    Take it easy, Linux and more specific *Ubuntu groups have lots of
    helpful people ready to share their knowledge and experiences.

    Yet there are a few out here that have a different axe to grind and are
    at times less than helpful.

    When you bite the bullet and stay here for a while you will soon
    recognise the Real Helpful from the obnoxious.

    They will now claim all kinds of excuses why they don't have time to
    invest in such a Noob but instead they could much better just stay out
    of a thread they apparently don't like to be part of anyway.

    It is a rare case there is no solution for somewhat older hardware and
    for the Real Helpful it'll be a challenge to tickle it to life

    > Graham

  7. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    In <20071112054202.1c2b6c1e@WizardsTower>, on 11/12/07
    at 05:42 AM, "Cybe R. Wizard" said:

    >> > I've had better luck with the alternate install CD. The installer
    >> > runs in text mode but is pretty simple and doesn't require any more
    >> > out of you than the GUI one does.

    >> Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea
    >> how to drive Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to
    >> that but it's not a priority right now.

    >Yes, that command line is /so/ intimidating! How dare a modern and
    >'user-friendly' OS installer ask one to actually /type/ what one desires?
    >It's so /easy/ to massage an iconic picture with a mechanical rat.
    >I mean, really, if a choice is available shouldn't the OS installer pick
    >the best choice /for/ me? Why would it ask me to make my own choices
    >with some esoteric command like:
    >or
    >or
    >when I could look as some pretty color pictures of and
    >then choose which one best fits what I think I think I would like to
    >like?

    I've always been a command line user, but I'm used to the commands that
    worked in Dos, OS/2, and Windows, which, for the most part, were the same.
    Linux commands are different, as is the command line itself. I'm looking
    at learning the Linux commands (is there a good book to check? I have
    "Ubuntu Linux for Dummies.")

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  8. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:28:46 -0500, nobody wrote:

    > I'm looking
    > at learning the Linux commands (is there a good book to check? I have
    > "Ubuntu Linux for Dummies.")

    books!?...we don't need no steenkin' books!!
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/

  9. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    > >>
    > >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    > >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    > You might simply ask. Otherwise, google is your friend. Or sites like
    > Sane.org, linuxprinting.org and other sites dedicated to some aspects of
    > hardware
    >
    > Uusually, a "standard" PC itself will not pose any problems. With
    > peripherals like printers and scanners, that /might/ be different, but
    > things have improved a lot, and you actually have a better chance of
    > getting hardware to work with linux than with Vista

    Well .... the PCs in question are pretty 'plain vanilla' ones anyway.

    Graham

  10. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > Eeyore hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    > >>
    > >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    > >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    > Install on of them your favorite WinOS, google for a site where the PC
    > Hardware is checked against Vista requirements. "You'd be surprised" :-)

    I have NO interest in Vista. It's a ridiculous resource hog.

    Graham

  11. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Keith Gregory wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back
    > > - Ubuntu 7.04

    > Here are a few observations of mine;
    >
    > Always burn the CD at a low speed - 4-8Mb/sec
    > Always verify writing
    > Always check CD at install, be ready to bin it and start again.

    It checks fine.

    Graham

  12. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    caver1 wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    > >>
    > >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    > >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    > Research.

    My 'research' says that the Live Cds should run on typical run-of-the-mill PCs
    without such problems. Which advice am I supposed to believe ?

    Graham

    Hadron wrote:
    > Are you as stupid as you sound. It doesn't *matter* to a new adopter WHO
    > is to blame.

    I'm stupid? You're blaming the World Health Organization?

    >They come here looking for solutions NOT some wheener

    Then stop being a wheener (sic), and provide the OP with a solution.

    --Benjamin Franklin

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:

    >>> And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    >> You might simply ask. Otherwise, google is your friend. Or sites like
    >> Sane.org, linuxprinting.org and other sites dedicated to some aspects of
    >> hardware
    >>
    >> Uusually, a "standard" PC itself will not pose any problems. With
    >> peripherals like printers and scanners, that /might/ be different, but
    >> things have improved a lot, and you actually have a better chance of
    >> getting hardware to work with linux than with Vista

    > Well .... the PCs in question are pretty 'plain vanilla' ones anyway.
    >
    > Graham

    Try here. http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/
    you can also google
    caver1

    Eeyore wrote:

    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:

    >>> And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    >> Research.

    > My 'research' says that the Live Cds should run on typical run-of-the-mill PCs
    > without such problems. Which advice am I supposed to believe ?
    >
    > Graham

    Depends on which distro. some are better than
    others at supporting low resource hardware.
    The newer Gnome and KDE desktops need more
    resources. Depends on what you want.
    Plain Jane or gotchas. Go to Distrowatch.com they
    will link you to distro web pages that will tell
    you what they need.
    or if you do it right you can do it here.
    So what do you have compared to what do you want?
    caver1

  16. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    nobody@junk.min.net said:
    > I've always been a command line user, but I'm used to the commands
    > that worked in Dos, OS/2, and Windows, which, for the most part, were
    > the same. Linux commands are different, as is the command line
    > itself. I'm looking at learning the Linux commands (is there a good
    > book to check? I have "Ubuntu Linux for Dummies.")

    There's the Rute Book:
    (generalized Linux)
    and
    (for the shell you likely will be using for a while)
    or the Official Ubuntu book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubunt.../dp/0132435942
    which, NTITAI, won't have a lot of command line stuff, probably.

    But the first two should do you a lot of good.
    And at no cost, too!

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  17. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:

    >> > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    >> Research.

    > My 'research' says that the Live Cds should run on typical run-of-the-mill PCs
    > without such problems. Which advice am I supposed to believe ?
    >
    > Graham

    After I did several successful installations on some 'nonstandard'
    hardware (Intel Tehama i850E, pc1066 Rambus RIMM) as well as on modern
    hardware, I figured this Linux stuff is a snap.
    Then an old PIII550 Intel se440bx 768 mb pc100 gave me fits!
    Finally got it going by resetting everything I could find in the bios to
    auto, pulling all the cards, using the Xubuntu alternate, and setting
    the video (F4 or F6?) to something reasonable 640x480, 1024x768 @32.
    After the install, reconfigured video and put all the cards back and
    they worked automagically.

  18. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    >> 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP
    >> installs a breeze on
    >> either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy
    >>
    >> Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    >> answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to

    In regard to Linux being "Fussy":
    As a Linux newbie I had attempted to install Ubuntu 6.something on my spare
    PC, a 900Mhz, 512RAM P3.
    Booted ok from the live CD then commenced installing to HD. Stalled at 95%
    forcing me to do a manual shutdown.
    From that moment on the PC was Linux Proof...would no longer complete even a
    live CD boot despite my trying 5 different distros. (yet had no probs
    booting & installing Windows from an XP CD). Google & a number of help
    forums failed to provide a solution.
    So gave up & sampled a few live CDs on my main PC.
    Months later & after obtaining a copy of Gutsy I tried the P3 again, & it
    too failed to complete the boot.
    On impulse I opened the case & re-set the jumpers on the 2 CD drives from
    master/slave to CS.
    Surprise! Gutsy now booted & installed on the HD without a hitch...???
    G.

  19. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Hadron wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee writes:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >>> In what way exactly ?

    >> 1. Subject "Linux lark".
    >>
    >> Vista, now that's funny!
    >>
    >> 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP
    >> installs a breeze on
    >> either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy
    >>
    >> Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    >> answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    >> release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written.
    >> Or better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn
    >> hardware.

    > Are you as stupid as you sound.

    No, he doesn't sound stupid at all. You on the other hand, continue fulfill
    your role as a MickeyMouse apologist.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  20. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >> > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?
    >
    > Graham

    Use Google and do the research. Surely that isn't too difficult?

    Cheers.