New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to this Linux lark - advice please - Ubuntu ; Dirk T. Verbeek wrote: > Eeyore wrote: >> Mike Easter wrote: > >>> I think I would use a lighter distro than Ub for that. >> >> Will try Dapper Duck or whatever it's called. > > Xubuntu is the ...

  1. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I think I would use a lighter distro than Ub for that.

    >> Will try Dapper Duck or whatever it's called.

    > Xubuntu is the light (GUI) version of Ubuntu, takes a bit of getting
    > used to but is very nice.
    >

    >>> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    >> Which one is that ?

    > Puppy Linux.

    I have it running from the Live CD on my P3 right now.

    Nice call and thanks for that.

    Will Puppy impose any restrictions on what Linux apps I might run ?

    Graham

  2. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:32:56 -0800
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > Mike Easter wrote:

    > >> How much ram does the 600mhz P3 have?

    > > 512MB.

    > >> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    > > Which one is that ?

    > http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 Puppy Linux is a
    > fast, small, free, fully featured Linux distribution (distro). -- Puppy
    > Linux is described as AMAZING in the Ubuntu Forums. Top off your
    > surprise with this video clip.

    Nice vid :-\

    Pity they pronounce Linux like Linus Torvalds was a Peanuts
    character, I guess the puppy was called Snoopy :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  3. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > Mike Easter wrote:

    > >> I think I would use a lighter
    > >> distro than Ub for that.

    > > Will try Dapper Duck or whatever it's called.

    > Xubuntu is the light (GUI) version of Ubuntu, takes a bit of getting
    > used to but is very nice.
    >

    > >> Puppy runs completely in ram and it is surprisingly frisky.

    > > Which one is that ?

    > Puppy Linux.

    Goodness, another one !

    Graham

  4. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Sunday 11 Nov 2007 06:12 Eeyore licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    > > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    > > while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    > >
    > > Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or
    > > a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm
    > > not so bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC
    > > with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the
    > > time but I could add another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the
    > > RAM kicking around).

    > I see lots of people have suggested extra ram, IIUC the GUI installer needs
    > 256MB minimum to run, you have 256, have you got integrated graphics by any
    > chance? That will take you below the minimum.

    No, there's no integrated graphics on a KT7A. There's an MX440 64MB card in
    there.

    I'll add some extra RAM and try again.

    Graham

  5. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > andrew wrote:
    > > Eeyore wrote:

    > >> Yes but you don't get a GUI do you ? And I have absolutely NO idea how
    > >> to drive Linux from a command line. I'm sure I will progress to that
    > >> but it's not a priority right now.

    > > Alternate cd does not involve a command line interface. It provides a
    > > series of menus that you navigate with keyboard. It is pretty
    > > straightforward and will often succeed IMHO where the more extravagant
    > > gui installer fails.

    > Think Win9x type installer.

    Understood.

    Graham

  6. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On 2007-11-11, Mark South hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:44:20 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> size: 350MHz <-- Does this mean it runs right now only at
    >> 350MHz? Well then this definitely a candidate for overclocking

    > That's only a myth. Most modern machines spend most of their wait time
    > waiting on memory. Overclocking them only means they spend more cycles
    > waiting and fail quickly.

    Well I can't do it anyway, this old Bios doesn't offer any "OC" choices
    anyway.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  7. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy, do you have any advice
    > as to any distro to try next ?

    My advice is to stick with Windows. It suits you.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 11 Nov 2007 06:12 Eeyore licked a pencil and jotted:
    >>
    >>> I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a
    >>> while back - Ubuntu 7.04
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately it wouldn't run on either of my PCs. I got error messages or
    >>> a system hang. Now in the case of my really old PC with a 600MHz P3, I'm
    >>> not so bothered but the other one is a moderately adequately specced PC
    >>> with an Abit KT7A mobo and Athlon 1900XP CPU. It had 256M of RAM at the
    >>> time but I could add another 128 or 256 M if that's needed ( I have the
    >>> RAM kicking around).

    >> I see lots of people have suggested extra ram, IIUC the GUI installer needs
    >> 256MB minimum to run, you have 256, have you got integrated graphics by any
    >> chance? That will take you below the minimum.

    > No, there's no integrated graphics on a KT7A. There's an MX440 64MB card in
    > there.

    Siluro?
    caver1

  9. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > In what way exactly ?

    1. Subject "Linux lark".

    Vista, now that's funny!

    2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs
    a breeze on
    either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy

    Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written. Or
    better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn hardware.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  10. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:15:39 GMT
    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > In what way exactly ?

    > 1. Subject "Linux lark".
    >
    > Vista, now that's funny!
    >
    > 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs
    > a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy
    >
    > Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    > answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    > release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written. Or
    > better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn hardware.

    Yes. we Linux lot will not stand for any nonsense or your potty mouth.

    In the words of Sgt. Toomey, "Lighten up Francis"

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  11. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > In what way exactly ?

    > 1. Subject "Linux lark".
    >
    > Vista, now that's funny!

    It is. I have no intention to ever let it loose on a PC of mine. It seems to
    have zero benefit to offer over XP and plenty of negatives.

    > > 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP installs
    > > a breeze on either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy

    > Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    > answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    > release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written. Or
    > better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn hardware.

    Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    Graham

  12. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    caver1 wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    > >> On Sunday 11 Nov 2007 06:12 Eeyore licked a pencil and jotted:

    > >> I see lots of people have suggested extra ram, IIUC the GUI installer needs
    > >> 256MB minimum to run, you have 256, have you got integrated graphics by any
    > >> chance? That will take you below the minimum.

    > > No, there's no integrated graphics on a KT7A. There's an MX440 64MB card in
    > > there.

    > Siluro?

    Some 'no name' Asian card stuffer's effort. They're usually pretty much the
    reference designs.

    Graham

  13. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.

    Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    hardware that works with available Linux drivers or stay with Windows,
    since it's easier for you. Just don't try Vista, you'll find it actually
    has worse hardware support than does Linux.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  14. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    > > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    > ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >
    > Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    > hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    Graham

  15. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:44:33 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >> OK, I think we have to accept that Puppy advocacy is seriously
    >> off-topic in a.o.l.u, right?

    > Sure, but so is runway behind you and cold beer.

    Cold beer? Where, where! Oh wait, it's only 9.30am here....

    > IMO inmyopinion it is just fine if you want to talk about other distros
    > in here and also to express some negative vibes about Puppy.

    I'd slice it finer than that and say that Puppy is on-topic in
    alt.os.linux, but not in a.o.l.ubuntu, so (not to make a big issue of it)
    I'll answer this one post and then drop it entirely.

    > We don't need no steenkin' topic badges. (Alfonso Bedoya/ GoldHat/
    > 'Treasure..')

    Great movie. But no matter how many times I see it, I remain convinced
    that he says "Badgers? We don't need no steenking badgers!"

    >> ** AntiX Mepis is a great way to get started on this, and runs on stuff
    >> Puppy will choke on.

    > I like AntiX.

    Is running well on my old Toshiba Satellite: 233MHz PII, 160MB RAM, 6GB
    disk. Fluxbox runs smoothly in 16 bit, sound is good, youtube videos play
    at close to full frame rate, and wireless works well with an almost
    equally old RTL8180 card.

    I used to run Puppy on that machine, until my well publicised departure
    from the Puppy community, when it got wiped and replaced.

    AntiX is faster than Puppy on that machine and has no hardware issues, and
    on top of that there is a proper package manager and regular updates.

    http://www.pcbypaul.com/absolute/

    > But 512 of ram is plenty for a lot of different things.

    Indeed. My old testing machine with a 1GHz PIII and a demiGB of RAM is
    multibooting Mandriva 2008, Suse 10.3, Slackware 12, and Debian Lenny.
    They all run fine.

    Now I'll drop this and we'll go back to Ubuntu :-)

  16. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >> > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?
    >
    > Graham

    You might simply ask. Otherwise, google is your friend. Or sites like
    Sane.org, linuxprinting.org and other sites dedicated to some aspects of
    hardware

    Uusually, a "standard" PC itself will not pose any problems. With
    peripherals like printers and scanners, that /might/ be different, but
    things have improved a lot, and you actually have a better chance of
    getting hardware to work with linux than with Vista
    --
    It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
    'Where am I allowed to go today?'

  17. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    On 2007-11-12, Eeyore hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Eeyore wrote:
    >> > Why should that be down to ME ? I just want something that works.

    >> ME? Windows Millennium Edition. That was a joke, too.
    >>
    >> Because you're the one complaining about a *free* OS. Either get
    >> hardware that works with available Linux drivers

    > And how am I supposed to KNOW that ?

    Install on of them your favorite WinOS, google for a site where the PC
    Hardware is checked against Vista requirements. "You'd be surprised" :-)

    > Graham

    Dragomir Kollaric

  18. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    Eeyore wrote:
    > I've been curious about trying out Linux for ages and got a live CD a while back
    > - Ubuntu 7.04

    Here are a few observations of mine;

    Always burn the CD at a low speed - 4-8Mb/sec
    Always verify writing
    Always check CD at install, be ready to bin it and start again.

    cheers kfg

    Dave Cohen said:
    > The installation is on a 2nd hd which is only 4gb. I thought if I
    > liked Linux I would throw in something larger, which I will do when I
    > get around to it.

    FWIW, I tried installing 7.10 on a virtual machine I had given 4 gigs
    of space. It wouldn't do it. Giving it 8 gigs did the trick.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  20. Re: New to this Linux lark - advice please

    johnny bobby bee writes:

    > Eeyore wrote:
    >> In what way exactly ?

    > 1. Subject "Linux lark".
    >
    > Vista, now that's funny!
    >
    > 2. Now aside from the unfortunate fact that Windows 98SE or XP
    > installs a breeze on
    > either of these PCs and I wonder why Linux is so fussy
    >
    > Linux is fussy. That's hilarious. You want answers; you really want
    > answers? Ask hardware manufacturers. Talk to _them_ ask _them_ to
    > release specs for their hardware, so drivers are more easily written.
    > Or better yet, tell them to release open drivers for their own damn
    > hardware.

    Are you as stupid as you sound. It doesn't *matter* to a new adopter WHO
    is to blame. They come here looking for solutions NOT some wheener
    telling him it's his fault for not picketing Lexmark or something.

    --
    This fortune was brought to you by the people at Hewlett-Packard.