Help!!!!! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help!!!!! - Ubuntu ; I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me ...

  1. Help!!!!!

    I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb
    sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me
    an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going
    wrong? TIA, Mike

  2. Re: Help!!!!!

    Hi Michael,

    > I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb sata,
    > 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me an error
    > cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going wrong? TIA, Mike

    Did you burn the iso to a DVD?

    The first time that I downloaded Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, I burned the
    iso onto a DVD, put the disc into the CD/DVD drive and restarted my
    computer to begin the installation process.

    I don't recall the error message(s) that I received, but the install
    didn't happen.

    Once I burned the iso to a regular CD, the installation was smooth and
    easy.

  3. Re: Help!!!!!

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:03:18 -0600, Michael Proctor wrote:

    > I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb
    > sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me
    > an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going
    > wrong? TIA, Mike

    Google on "burn iso image to CD".

  4. Re: Help!!!!!

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:03:18 -0600, Michael Proctor wrote:

    > I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb
    > sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me
    > an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going
    > wrong? TIA, Mike

    uh i have to agree with other posters, so far every ubuntu .iso i have
    downloaded has been for a CD disk not DVD maybe you should try your .iso
    on a CD.

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: Help!!!!!

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:01:11 +0000, Christopher Thompson wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:03:18 -0600, Michael Proctor wrote:
    >
    >> I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb
    >> sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives me
    >> an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going
    >> wrong? TIA, Mike

    > uh i have to agree with other posters, so far every ubuntu .iso i have
    > downloaded has been for a CD disk not DVD maybe you should try your .iso
    > on a CD.

    Quite often one can get away with that and burn the CD image to a DVD and
    it will work. It may depend on the drive to some extent.

    However, the OP's problem is that he has done the "make a bootable disk"
    thing (hence the error message), instead of burning the iso as an image.

  6. Re: Help!!!!!

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:39:34 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:01:11 +0000, Christopher Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:03:18 -0600, Michael Proctor wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am wanting to run Ububtu on my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, 160 gb
    >>> sata, 1 gig memory. When I try to install it off of the dvd it gives
    >>> me an error cant find sh? Can anybody give me an idea of what's going
    >>> wrong? TIA, Mike

    >> uh i have to agree with other posters, so far every ubuntu .iso i have
    >> downloaded has been for a CD disk not DVD maybe you should try your
    >> .iso on a CD.

    > Quite often one can get away with that and burn the CD image to a DVD
    > and it will work. It may depend on the drive to some extent.
    >
    > However, the OP's problem is that he has done the "make a bootable disk"
    > thing (hence the error message), instead of burning the iso as an image.

    ah got ya!

    hadnt thought that way, but yup.............

    --
    Chris

  7. Re: Help!!!!!

    Christopher Thompson wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:39:34 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    >>> uh i have to agree with other posters, so far every ubuntu .iso i have
    >>> downloaded has been for a CD disk not DVD maybe you should try your
    >>> .iso on a CD.

    >> Quite often one can get away with that and burn the CD image to a DVD
    >> and it will work. It may depend on the drive to some extent.
    >>
    >> However, the OP's problem is that he has done the "make a bootable disk"
    >> thing (hence the error message), instead of burning the iso as an image.

    > ah got ya!
    >
    > hadnt thought that way, but yup.............

    Another thing you might want to think about. If
    you are using Grub you might want to make a 100mb
    boot partition since you have a 160gb hd.
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread