Simple Login Tweak - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Simple Login Tweak - Ubuntu ; Running Kubuntu Gutsy Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side. There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not displayed, but I can't find it anywhere. TIA ...

  1. Simple Login Tweak

    Running Kubuntu Gutsy

    Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side.
    There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not
    displayed, but I can't find it anywhere.

    TIA for your help ..

  2. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On 11 Nov 2007 01:32:31 GMT
    George Peatty wrote:

    > Running Kubuntu Gutsy
    >
    > Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side.
    > There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not
    > displayed, but I can't find it anywhere.

    Try running "gdmsetup" from a console.

    You'll need to "sudo" it, not sure of the proper term in KDE though.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  3. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:03:17 +0000
    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On 11 Nov 2007 01:32:31 GMT
    > George Peatty wrote:
    >
    > > Running Kubuntu Gutsy
    > >
    > > Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side.
    > > There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not
    > > displayed, but I can't find it anywhere.

    > Try running "gdmsetup" from a console.
    >
    > You'll need to "sudo" it, not sure of the proper term in KDE though.

    But then is gdm relevant to KDE? Dunno :-\

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  4. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 11 Nov 2007 01:32:31 GMT, George Peatty
    wrote:

    > Running Kubuntu Gutsy
    >
    > Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side.
    > There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not
    > displayed, but I can't find it anywhere.
    >
    > TIA for your help ..

    System Settings / Advanced / Login Manager / Users

    Uncheck "show list".

    --
    PJR :-)

  5. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:25:35 +0000, Peter J Ross
    wrote:

    >System Settings / Advanced / Login Manager / Users

    >Uncheck "show list".

    That worked. Thank you.

    Interestingly, there must be another way to do this. On my other Kubuntu
    Gutsy system, that box is checked, and I get the simple login menu there as
    well.

  6. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    George Peatty wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:25:35 +0000, Peter J Ross
    > wrote:
    >
    >> System Settings / Advanced / Login Manager / Users

    >> Uncheck "show list".

    > That worked. Thank you.
    >
    > Interestingly, there must be another way to do this. On my other Kubuntu
    > Gutsy system, that box is checked, and I get the simple login menu there as
    > well.

    Select another theme, Kubuntu O2 -No User List-

  7. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:03:17 +0000
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On 11 Nov 2007 01:32:31 GMT
    >> George Peatty wrote:
    >>
    >> > Running Kubuntu Gutsy
    >> >
    >> > Default KDE login window has a list of all users on the left-hand side.
    >> > There is a simple way to change the display so that user list is not
    >> > displayed, but I can't find it anywhere.

    >> Try running "gdmsetup" from a console.
    >>
    >> You'll need to "sudo" it, not sure of the proper term in KDE though.

    > But then is gdm relevant to KDE? Dunno :-\

    That would be kdm, would it not?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:03:17 +0000
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> Try running "gdmsetup" from a console.
    >>>
    >>> You'll need to "sudo" it, not sure of the proper term in KDE though.

    >> But then is gdm relevant to KDE? Dunno :-\

    > That would be kdm, would it not?

    You can use both, although kdm makes more sense for KDE
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

  9. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On 11 Nov 2007 11:12:32 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:03:17 +0000
    > > Trevor Best wrote:

    > >> Try running "gdmsetup" from a console.
    > >>
    > >> You'll need to "sudo" it, not sure of the proper term in KDE though.

    > > But then is gdm relevant to KDE? Dunno :-\

    > That would be kdm, would it not?

    I've not installed kubuntu so didn't know if such a thing existed,
    anyway the login window appears before the window manager so I didn't
    know if if was a separate entity or tied into the wm that was installed
    by default.

    What does xubuntu use? Is there an xdm?

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  10. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:18:47 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > What does xubuntu use? Is there an xdm?

    There is an xdm, but Ubuntu does not use it by default.

    Ubuntu uses gdm, Kubuntu uses kdm. If you add gnome-desktop to Kubuntu or
    kde-desktop to Ubuntu you get the option of running one or both. (I once
    managed to have a Kubuntu splash screen that went to a gdm login screen.)

    Probably xdm is too spartan for most people.

    For lightweight installs where network xsession login does not need to be
    supported, slim is the neatest thing in the toolbox.

  11. Re: Simple Login Tweak

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:25:23 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:25:35 +0000, Peter J Ross
    >> wrote:

    >>> System Settings / Advanced / Login Manager / Users

    >>> Uncheck "show list".

    >> That worked. Thank you.

    >> Interestingly, there must be another way to do this. On my other
    >> Kubuntu Gutsy system, that box is checked, and I get the simple login
    >> menu there as well.

    > Select another theme, Kubuntu O2 -No User List-

    What is missing from this otherwise sound advice is that I need to
    install the KDM Theme Manager, which is not installed by default. Then,
    the setting is changed in KControl-->System Administration--->KDM Theme
    Manager ..

    Thanks to all ..

+ Reply to Thread