silence not golden - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on silence not golden - Ubuntu ; Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes found on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily fixed after revisiting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: silence not golden

  1. silence not golden

    Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until
    play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes found
    on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily fixed
    after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer. Sound has since quit
    working, but I don't know why. This is silly and I'd really like to
    avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: silence not golden

    Ubuntu User illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until
    > play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes found
    > on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily fixed
    > after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer. Sound has since quit
    > working, but I don't know why. This is silly and I'd really like to
    > avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.
    >
    > Thanks.


    Frist thing to try is

    Top Gnome Menu Bar.. System -> Preferences -> Sound.

    Instead of using the "autodetect" try and force either ALSA or OSS
    (and any other drivers you may have listed) and seeing which one
    gives any output...and even better output.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  3. Re: silence not golden

    Ubuntu User wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until
    > play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes found
    > on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily fixed
    > after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer. Sound has since quit
    > working, but I don't know why. This is silly and I'd really like to
    > avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.
    >
    > Thanks.


    You probably already checked (via top etc.) there is no orphaned
    instance of Real still running?

    I have several times had great success running Alsamixergui to get sound
    back after some 'upgrade'.

  4. Re: silence not golden

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:57:58 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Ubuntu User illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until
    >> play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes
    >> found on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily
    >> fixed after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer. Sound has
    >> since quit working, but I don't know why. This is silly and I'd really
    >> like to avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > Frist thing to try is
    >
    > Top Gnome Menu Bar.. System -> Preferences -> Sound.
    >
    > Instead of using the "autodetect" try and force either ALSA or OSS (and
    > any other drivers you may have listed) and seeing which one gives any
    > output...and even better output.
    >
    > HTH.


    Thanks for the reply.

    Devices Tab:

    They are all set to ALSA. Changing them led to continued silence.




  5. Re: silence not golden (SUCCESS!)

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:06:41 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Ubuntu User wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine until
    >> play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various recipes
    >> found on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was temporarily
    >> fixed after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer. Sound has
    >> since quit working, but I don't know why. This is silly and I'd really
    >> like to avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >


    Thanks for your reply.

    > You probably already checked (via top etc.) there is no orphaned
    > instance of Real still running?


    Yes, this first thing I usually do in such circumstances is restart
    the machine to start fresh.

    > I have several times had great success running Alsamixergui to get sound
    > back after some 'upgrade'.


    I tried Alsamixergui and sound is working again, but I haven't the
    foggest why. I simply perused the GUI and sound started working again!

    Thanks again!

  6. Re: silence not golden (SUCCESS!)

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:00:46 +0000, Ubuntu User wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:06:41 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu User wrote:
    >>> Can someone tell me how to fix GG's sound? Sound was working fine
    >>> until play and RealPlayer ran at the same time. I tried various
    >>> recipes found on the web, but nothing worked. However, sound was
    >>> temporarily fixed after revisiting the site that triggered RealPlayer.
    >>> Sound has since quit working, but I don't know why. This is silly and
    >>> I'd really like to avoid a complete re-install over such silliness.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    >> You probably already checked (via top etc.) there is no orphaned
    >> instance of Real still running?

    >
    > Yes, this first thing I usually do in such circumstances is restart the
    > machine to start fresh.
    >
    >> I have several times had great success running Alsamixergui to get
    >> sound back after some 'upgrade'.

    >
    > I tried Alsamixergui and sound is working again, but I haven't the
    > foggest why. I simply perused the GUI and sound started working again!
    >
    > Thanks again!


    I'm icon illiterate, but I think something called PCM was muted and I
    unmuted it while poking around in Alsamixergui.

  7. Re: silence not golden (SUCCESS!)

    Ubuntu User wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:00:46 +0000, Ubuntu User wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:06:41 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>



    >>> I have several times had great success running Alsamixergui to get
    >>> sound back after some 'upgrade'.

    >> I tried Alsamixergui and sound is working again, but I haven't the
    >> foggest why. I simply perused the GUI and sound started working again!
    >>
    >> Thanks again!

    >
    > I'm icon illiterate, but I think something called PCM was muted and I
    > unmuted it while poking around in Alsamixergui.


    Hey thanks for reporting back, the next user of Google Groups might need it.

+ Reply to Thread