Moving Home Directory - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Moving Home Directory - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:55:19 +0000, Trevor Best wrote: > Bit Twister wrote: >> nice -n 19 whatever_cmd_here with args if any > > I did try nice-ing it, didn't specify a number but since the process > uses ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:55:19 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> nice -n 19 whatever_cmd_here with args if any

    > I did try nice-ing it, didn't specify a number but since the process
    > uses very little CPU time I didn't expect a difference.

    What can I say, I use nice -n 19 for download/installing updates and it do
    seem to make a difference on my distribution.

  2. Re: Moving Home Directory

    Bit Twister illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 GMT, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> How can I remove my *old* /home folder to free up space on my system
    >> disk?
    >> I've been looking for it everywhere and cannot find it.

    > Hehehe, I'll guess it is hiding under /home.
    > If you try to umount /home it will fail with a busy message.
    >
    > Try this.
    > sudo -i
    > whoami
    > cd /home
    > touch a_new_home <==== just a file name to indicate
    > where you are
    > exit <=== exits root sudo terminal
    > exit
    >
    > Now you know there is a_new_home file in the new home directory.
    > Verify you know the partition number of the old home
    > Insert a rescue cd and reboot the sytem
    >
    > mkdir /junk
    > mount -t auto /dev/old_home_partition /junk
    > cd /junk
    > ls
    >
    > If there is not a_new_home file and you see original home users you
    > know where you are.
    >
    > /bin/rm -r * aught to clean it out.
    > cd
    > umount /junk
    > shutdown -r
    >
    > pop out cd

    Thanks again BT

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Moving Home Directory

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> <...>
    >>> BTW. I forgot to add to the original post that once you are up and
    >>> running, you can safely remove /sda1/home/{username} (or whatever your
    >>> path is. However, it does act as a great fall back if you wish to leave
    >>> it there.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, you can mv rather than cp.

    >> Sorry. Ignore the above. I am drunk...pleased with myself after doing
    >> the /home move. (It's like moving house but quicker)
    >>
    >> The stuff I wrote about mv rather than cp and removing /sda/yadda is
    >> absolute guff.
    >>
    >> I'm quite happy with my install now. I'm hoping BT or Oddity are reading
    >> this......hence......
    >> How can I remove my *old* /home folder to free up space on my system
    >> disk?
    >> I've been looking for it everywhere and cannot find it.
    >>
    >> Bloody Vodka.

    > I assume that your original /home was not a separate partition, but
    > rather just a part of /, correct?

    Quite true.

    > If so, you must unmount /home to see those original files, which are
    > still taking space.
    >
    > Just boot into single user mode. Make sure /home is not mounted. Then
    > just delete everything under /home, of course leaving the /home directory
    > itself.
    >
    > Now when you reboot normally, you will find the space freed on /, and
    > everything should work normally.

    Brilliant. Thanks Joe.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 03:12:53 GMT
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:55:19 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    > > Bit Twister wrote:
    > >> nice -n 19 whatever_cmd_here with args if any

    > > I did try nice-ing it, didn't specify a number but since the process
    > > uses very little CPU time I didn't expect a difference.

    > What can I say, I use nice -n 19 for download/installing updates and it do
    > seem to make a difference on my distribution.

    Is there a way to limit the cache size itself?

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  5. Re: Moving Home Directory

    Moog wrote:
    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> Now when you reboot normally, you will find the space freed on /, and
    >> everything should work normally.

    > Brilliant. Thanks Joe.

    Thanks for your howto. Very worthwhile. Now if only I could find some
    more disk space for another partition..

    I do have a question: what do you attribute the speed increase to?

    --
    Duinen

  6. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:04:29 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Is there a way to limit the cache size itself?

    I have no knowledge of kernel nuts and bolts.

    I think the url I gave is going to be your solution if nice -n 19 does
    not work.

  7. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:30:57 -0500
    Duinen wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    > > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > >> Now when you reboot normally, you will find the space freed on /, and
    > >> everything should work normally.

    > > Brilliant. Thanks Joe.
    > >

    > Thanks for your howto. Very worthwhile. Now if only I could find some
    > more disk space for another partition..
    >
    > I do have a question: what do you attribute the speed increase to?

    two disks doing the work of one :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  8. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:55:18 GMT
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:04:29 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to limit the cache size itself?

    > I have no knowledge of kernel nuts and bolts.
    >
    > I think the url I gave is going to be your solution if nice -n 19 does
    > not work.

    Pity, it's well documented for Windows ME, mainly because you had to if
    you had > 512MB RAM to begin with :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  9. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On 10 Nov 2007 19:44:29 GMT, Moog wrote:
    > Hi all...
    >
    > With all the recent talk of seperate home directories, I decided to
    > take the plunge today to see what all the fuss was about.
    >
    > I hope this helps someone out. I certainly suggest you do this.

    Now that you found the /home gotcha, are you going to post a
    new-n-improved steps. :-D

    with a like Subject Moving /home Directory SOLUTION

  10. Re: Moving Home Directory

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:30:57 -0500, Duinen wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >>> Now when you reboot normally, you will find the space freed on /, and
    >>> everything should work normally.

    >> Brilliant. Thanks Joe.
    >>

    > Thanks for your howto. Very worthwhile. Now if only I could find some
    > more disk space for another partition..
    >
    > I do have a question: what do you attribute the speed increase to?

    Seek times.

    If the /home partition is on a separate drive, each drive is seeking less
    than it was before.

    A /home partition on the same disk will not give a speed improvement, but
    it will give all of the other benefits (portability being the big one).

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  11. Re: Moving Home Directory

    Duinen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:54:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >>> Now when you reboot normally, you will find the space freed on /, and
    >>> everything should work normally.

    >> Brilliant. Thanks Joe.
    >>

    > Thanks for your howto. Very worthwhile. Now if only I could find some
    > more disk space for another partition..
    >
    > I do have a question: what do you attribute the speed increase to?

    Seek times. Also, it is possible to read both the / disk and the /home
    folder at the same time. I have seen considerable speed boosts to the
    like of Open Office.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: Moving Home Directory

    Bit Twister illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 10 Nov 2007 19:44:29 GMT, Moog wrote:
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> With all the recent talk of seperate home directories, I decided to
    >> take the plunge today to see what all the fuss was about.
    >>
    >> I hope this helps someone out. I certainly suggest you do this.

    > Now that you found the /home gotcha, are you going to post a
    > new-n-improved steps. :-D
    >
    > with a like Subject Moving /home Directory SOLUTION

    LOL. Nah. My first one was OK. With one obvious error that I addressed
    within the post anyway.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."