    Name: Ubuntu Linux
    Author: William von Hagen
    Publisher: Wiley Publishing Company
    ISBN Number: 0-470-03899-3

    The book goes into the following subjects which, while not being absolutely
    detailed, covers a lot of the terms, methods of setup and basic operations:

    Mastering the fundamentals for desktop and networks
    Sending e-mail, file sharing, text editing and printins
    Music downloads, DVD usage and game playing
    Laptop and wireless setup and synching with a PDA
    Server setup for Web, mail, ;rint, DNS, DHCP and others.
    Manage groups and secure your network.

    Hope this is helpful to others as it is to me.

    The only drawback that I can see is that the reference system is version
    7.04 (feisty) and there are some minor differences as a result.

    Tom

  2. Re: Info for Newbies

    Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > Name: Ubuntu Linux
    > Author: William von Hagen
    > Publisher: Wiley Publishing Company
    > ISBN Number: 0-470-03899-3

    ISBN-10: 0470038993 = ISBN-13: 978-0470038994 =
    Ubuntu Linux Bible (Paperback)
    Paperback: 936 pages
    Publisher: Wiley; Pap/Cdr edition (January 3, 2007)
    Author: William von Hagen

    The top left of the front cover sez Ubuntu Linux and the lower right
    gray graphic holds/surrounds the word Bible http://snipurl.com/1tfqb

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Info for Newbies

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:21:39 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > Being a relative newbie myself I have repeatedly experienced the frustration
    > of understanding many of the references put forth in this newsgroup and have
    > struggled to make things work. Recently I found a book at Borders which has
    > cleared up much of the confusion and provided a guidance to me and I thought
    > someone else might find it equally useful so here goes!
    >
    > Name: Ubuntu Linux
    > Author: William von Hagen
    > Publisher: Wiley Publishing Company
    > ISBN Number: 0-470-03899-3
    >
    > The book goes into the following subjects which, while not being absolutely
    > detailed, covers a lot of the terms, methods of setup and basic operations:
    >
    > Mastering the fundamentals for desktop and networks
    > Sending e-mail, file sharing, text editing and printins
    > Music downloads, DVD usage and game playing
    > Laptop and wireless setup and synching with a PDA
    > Server setup for Web, mail, ;rint, DNS, DHCP and others.
    > Manage groups and secure your network.
    >
    > Hope this is helpful to others as it is to me.
    >
    > The only drawback that I can see is that the reference system is version
    > 7.04 (feisty) and there are some minor differences as a result.
    >
    > Tom

    There are several good ubuntu books - I think 'Ubuntu Linux for non-geeks'
    is a very good one. Also 'Ubuntu Hacks' is worth a look.

  4. Re: Info for Newbies

    "Tom Clydesdale" wrote in

    > Being a relative newbie myself I have repeatedly experienced the
    > frustration of understanding many of the references put forth in this
    > newsgroup and have struggled to make things work. Recently I found a
    > book at Borders which has cleared up much of the confusion and
    > provided a guidance to me and I thought someone else might find it
    > equally useful so here goes!
    >
    > Name: Ubuntu Linux
    > Author: William von Hagen
    > Publisher: Wiley Publishing Company
    > ISBN Number: 0-470-03899-3
    >
    > The book goes into the following subjects which, while not being
    > absolutely detailed, covers a lot of the terms, methods of setup and
    > basic operations:
    >
    > Mastering the fundamentals for desktop and networks
    > Sending e-mail, file sharing, text editing and printins
    > Music downloads, DVD usage and game playing
    > Laptop and wireless setup and synching with a PDA
    > Server setup for Web, mail, ;rint, DNS, DHCP and others.
    > Manage groups and secure your network.
    >
    > Hope this is helpful to others as it is to me.
    >
    > The only drawback that I can see is that the reference system is
    > version 7.04 (feisty) and there are some minor differences as a
    > result.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for the reference, I went looking last June or July and couldn't
    find one in my Borders (I live in the heart of Microsoftville) so I will
    go check it out.

  5. Re: Info for Newbies

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:21:39 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    >
    >> Being a relative newbie myself I have repeatedly experienced the frustration
    >> of understanding many of the references put forth in this newsgroup and have
    >> struggled to make things work. Recently I found a book at Borders which has
    >> cleared up much of the confusion and provided a guidance to me and I thought
    >> someone else might find it equally useful so here goes!
    >>
    >> Name: Ubuntu Linux
    >> Author: William von Hagen
    >> Publisher: Wiley Publishing Company
    >> ISBN Number: 0-470-03899-3

    >> Hope this is helpful to others as it is to me.
    >>
    >> The only drawback that I can see is that the reference system is version
    >> 7.04 (feisty) and there are some minor differences as a result.
    >>
    >> Tom

    > There are several good ubuntu books - I think 'Ubuntu Linux for non-geeks'
    > is a very good one. Also 'Ubuntu Hacks' is worth a look.

    Another one i use and like:
    A good ubuntu linux starter book can be: beginning ubuntu linux, from
    novice to professional. by Keir Thomas. ($40,- or so, or lend it.)

    Starts from the install and continues with configuration, explanantions,
    and additional software ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  6. Re: Info for Newbies

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <_aidnTsrXqxcmavanZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@comcast.com>, Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    >Being a relative newbie myself I have repeatedly experienced the
    >frustration of understanding many of the references put forth in
    >this newsgroup and have struggled to make things work.

    If you do run into problems understanding things, your first
    step is to use your favorite search engine to see if additional
    (or more understandable) help is available. If that fails, then
    post the question with some indication of what it is that you are
    missing. Specifically, what are you trying to do - what did you
    try, what were the results - including exact error messages.

    >The only drawback that I can see is that the reference system is
    >version 7.04 (feisty) and there are some minor differences as a result.

    That's always been a problem with _any_ dead-tree book. It takes a
    while to write this stuff. Then the editor has to review the material,
    before passing it to the printers. Someone then has to distribute it,
    and before you know it, it's been four to six months, and there is a
    new release with new bells, whistles, and everything else. You may
    notice those books in the stores with GPL CDs - the distributions are
    almost always "older".

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread