Will setting remain in 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will setting remain in 7.10 - Ubuntu ; Hi All, I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put ...

  1. Will setting remain in 7.10

    Hi All,

    I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I perform
    the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem
    bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything back to
    frsh and new?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  2. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    dreamer wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I perform
    > the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem
    > bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything back to
    > frsh and new?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Yeah I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 and all my settings was left
    intact no problems.

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop killing each other, lets all live in peace.
    Too much pain, too much suffering.

  3. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I perform
    > the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem
    > bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything back to
    > frsh and new?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    The concept of an upgrade is to upgrade. If you wish to loose settings, do
    a fresh install.

  4. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    Thanks all for the assistance.

    Sam
    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.11.10.17.43.51.50847@zianet.com...
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    >> perform
    >> the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem
    >> bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything back to
    >> frsh and new?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Sam

    > The concept of an upgrade is to upgrade. If you wish to loose settings, do
    > a fresh install.

  5. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    dreamer wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    > perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games
    > I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything
    > back to frsh and new?

    Nothing to worry about. Even though, when I updated my daughters kubuntu, it
    told me it would uninstall beryl-manager, I disagreed and it's still there.
    Now, in addition, thanks to the new kernel, finally the canon scanner works
    out-of-the-box.

  6. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    dreamer wrote:
    > I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I perform
    > the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as games I havem
    > bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put everything back to
    > frsh and new?

    Dream on. :-)

    I do believe a FEW of my settings changed, but I am not completely
    certain. I am certain that most of them did not change.

    I was very irritated that it said it was going to install
    dhcp, bluetooth, and other NON-ESSENTIAL items I had explicitly removed.

    But after the upgrade, when I went to re-remove them, they were not
    installed.

    It did appear to have broken something in ADEPT.
    apt-get check says there are no problems, but every time I install
    or remove anything with ADEPT, the bar goes between 50% and 80% and then
    "there was a problem" If I click OK, three of four times, ADEPT crashes.

    When I clean up (apt-get clean) and come back, I always find that my
    requested changes have been done. (and apt-get check doesn't report
    anything wrong)

  7. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:50:28 +0000, someone purporting to be Head Geek
    scrawled firmly:

    > It did appear to have broken something in ADEPT.
    > apt-get check says there are no problems, but every time I install
    > or remove anything with ADEPT, the bar goes between 50% and 80% and then
    > "there was a problem" If I click OK, three of four times, ADEPT crashes.
    >
    > When I clean up (apt-get clean) and come back, I always find that my
    > requested changes have been done. (and apt-get check doesn't report
    > anything wrong)

    Perhaps you should see your /etc/apt/sources.list and just check that
    youve got the default repositories enabled and nothing else. Perhaps theres
    something there that youve added that isn't supported in 7.10.

  8. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    Oddity wrote:
    > Perhaps you should see your /etc/apt/sources.list and just check that
    > youve got the default repositories enabled and nothing else. Perhaps theres

    Worth a try. Thanks. The list in ADEPT looks good, though.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ------

  9. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    > perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as
    > games I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put
    > everything back to frsh and new?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    that may not have distributions for the new version.

    For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    functionality. I am patiently waiting.

    Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  10. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    In message of Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Joe writes
    >On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    >> perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as
    >> games I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put
    >> everything back to frsh and new?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Sam

    >Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    >that may not have distributions for the new version.
    >
    >For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    >does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    >functionality. I am patiently waiting.
    >
    >Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.

    Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?

    I'm pretty new at this and thinking of upgrading to 7.10.

    David

  11. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:29:26 +0000, David Floyd wrote:

    >>Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.
    >>

    > Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?

    If you don't, the upgrade will throw about a thousand errors and then fail**.

    Does that count as a reason?

    ** Do not ask me how I know....

  12. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    David Floyd illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In message of Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Joe writes
    >>On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    >>> perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as
    >>> games I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put
    >>> everything back to frsh and new?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Sam

    >>Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    >>that may not have distributions for the new version.
    >>
    >>For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    >>does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    >>functionality. I am patiently waiting.
    >>
    >>Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.
    >>

    > Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?

    Yes. Automatix2 is a third party script installer that gives you one
    interface to install a number of programs, players, drivers and
    libraries. Becuase it uses its own proprietory scripts, it can
    possibly break any upgrade. Uninstall it. You are better safe than
    sorry.

    You will also need to uninstall Easybuntu or Envy if you've used
    either of those script installers too.

    Also, you may want to consider
    www.ubuntuguide.org
    which gives you good step by step instructions on how to install most
    (if not all) of the things that Automatix2 does.

    > I'm pretty new at this and thinking of upgrading to 7.10.

    I'm not sure, but Automatix2 is not compatible with Gutsy anyway. It
    isn't mentioned in the wiki anyway.

    Good luck.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:29:26 +0000, David Floyd wrote:

    > In message of Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Joe writes
    >>On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:54:19 +0000, dreamer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I am currently using 7.04 on my HP laptop on another partition. If I
    >>> perform the upgrade through the manager, will my settings as far as
    >>> games I havem bookmarks, etc. remain intact or will the upgrade put
    >>> everything back to frsh and new?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Sam

    >>Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    >>that may not have distributions for the new version.
    >>
    >>For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    >>does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    >>functionality. I am patiently waiting.
    >>
    >>Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.
    >>

    > Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?
    >
    > I'm pretty new at this and thinking of upgrading to 7.10.

    Automatix is not supported by Ubuntu, and is well known to break many
    systems during an upgrade.

    Honestly, there is little reason to ever use it. Everything that is done
    by Automatix can be pretty easily done without it.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  14. Re: Will setting remain in 7.10

    In message of Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Moog writes
    >David Floyd illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>>Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    >>>that may not have distributions for the new version.
    >>>
    >>>For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    >>>does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    >>>functionality. I am patiently waiting.
    >>>
    >>>Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.
    >>>

    >> Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?

    >Yes. Automatix2 is a third party script installer that gives you one
    >interface to install a number of programs, players, drivers and
    >libraries. Becuase it uses its own proprietory scripts, it can
    >possibly break any upgrade. Uninstall it. You are better safe than
    >sorry.
    >
    >You will also need to uninstall Easybuntu or Envy if you've used
    >either of those script installers too.

    Thanks for that explanation.

    David

  15. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    Hi All;

    I've been running Ubuntu 7.10 since it came out last month, having
    upgraded from 7.04. Not only did my settings hold, but, several things
    I either could no do, or could do only with some difficulty, work right
    out of the box.

    Presently, my 7.10 laptop connects wired and wirelessly to the internet
    (ndiswrapper/bcmwl5), connects wired and wirelessly to my W2k server and
    shares (via WPA-TKIP, reads both FAT32 and NTFS drives), drives my
    Lexmark z35 printer (CUPS) and my HP ScanJet 2300c scanner (hpoj, Xsane,
    lirc libraries).

    Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.
    CUPS (for non-Foomatic printers) and HPOJ/XSANE (for older HP scanners
    and all-in-one units) are not, and still need to be installed.

    OSS sound works better in 7.10 than it did in 7.04 (I used ALSA then...).

    Long and short: You won't lose anything, and you'll gain much in an
    upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10.

    Cheers;

    Ed

    P.S.: I've only used Linux in general, and Ubuntu in particular, since
    February of this year, having migrated from Windoze. Ubuntu isn't yet
    "ready for grandma," as its about where Windoze NT4 was in 1997, but its
    growing and improving fast, and may yet become the panacea most "common"
    users need to finally jump the M$ ship... Comments?

    Joe wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:29:26 +0000, David Floyd wrote:

    >>> Everything should remain intact. The only thing to watch for are apps
    >>> that may not have distributions for the new version.
    >>>
    >>> For instance, I use FreeNX for remote access to my home machine. FreeNX
    >>> does not have a Gutsy distro yet, so if I upgrade, I will lose that
    >>> functionality. I am patiently waiting.
    >>>
    >>> Also, if you use Automatix, remove it before upgrading.
    >>>

    >> Just out of interest, is there a reason for removing Automatix?
    >>
    >> I'm pretty new at this and thinking of upgrading to 7.10.

    > Automatix is not supported by Ubuntu, and is well known to break many
    > systems during an upgrade.
    >
    > Honestly, there is little reason to ever use it. Everything that is done
    > by Automatix can be pretty easily done without it.

  16. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:46:24 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.

    Not true, a clean boot of 7.10 will load bcm43xx.

    BTW, in 7.10 I find that the bcm43xx driver has improved to the stage that
    I no longer feel the need to use ndiswrapper with my bcm4318 card.

  17. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    On 15 Nov 2007 11:44:08 +0100, Mark South
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:46:24 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.

    >Not true, a clean boot of 7.10 will load bcm43xx.
    >
    >BTW, in 7.10 I find that the bcm43xx driver has improved to the stage that
    >I no longer feel the need to use ndiswrapper with my bcm4318 card.

    Wow.
    For a Linux novice here, that is quite the message to decipher! Sounds
    a bit like Window-ese used to back around 3.1, sans 'wireless'.

    I am moving to 7.10 soon--even purchased the disk!
    Bob

  18. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:46:24 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.

    > Not true, a clean boot of 7.10 will load bcm43xx.
    >
    > BTW, in 7.10 I find that the bcm43xx driver has improved to the stage that
    > I no longer feel the need to use ndiswrapper with my bcm4318 card.

    Actually, I did the upgrade from 7.04, where I had the devil's own time
    wrapping bcmwl, and it wrapped bcmwl5. I can see it in my stats...

    Cheers;

    Ed

  19. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:43:22 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:46:24 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.

    >> Not true, a clean boot of 7.10 will load bcm43xx.
    >>
    >> BTW, in 7.10 I find that the bcm43xx driver has improved to the stage
    >> that I no longer feel the need to use ndiswrapper with my bcm4318 card.

    > Actually, I did the upgrade from 7.04, where I had the devil's own time
    > wrapping bcmwl, and it wrapped bcmwl5. I can see it in my stats...

    I don't think he was arguing that. What he said was that in a clean
    install (out of the box), it will load the native driver instead of
    wrapping the Windows driver.

    I have read that elsewhere, as well.

    Unfortunately, I have the Atheros chipset, and it needed to be wrapped,
    and required it to be done manually. Took me a few minutes...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  20. Re: Will settings remain in 7.10

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:43:04 -0500, Bob Bob wrote:

    > On 15 Nov 2007 11:44:08 +0100, Mark South
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:46:24 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wrapping the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless driver is now native in 7.10.

    >>Not true, a clean boot of 7.10 will load bcm43xx.
    >>
    >>BTW, in 7.10 I find that the bcm43xx driver has improved to the stage that
    >>I no longer feel the need to use ndiswrapper with my bcm4318 card.

    > Wow.
    > For a Linux novice here, that is quite the message to decipher! Sounds
    > a bit like Window-ese used to back around 3.1, sans 'wireless'.

    I'm sorry, I was responding in the tone of the original post.

    Nightowl said that ndiswrapper is used natively for the Broadcom 43xx
    series of chipsets in 7.10.

    I dissented, saying that 7.10 uses the native Linux driver (called
    bcm43xx) by default.

    It later transpired that Nightowl had been misled by having done an
    upgrade from 7.04 rather than a fresh install.

    Is that a bit plainer yet?

    > I am moving to 7.10 soon--even purchased the disk!

    Very commendable, although I got mine for free from Shipit :-)

+ Reply to Thread