graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing - Ubuntu ; I have now successfully enabled mrtg traffic and line quality graphing and would like to do something similar if not use mrtg itself to graph hardware information such as temperature from lmsensors that now appears to be working. Any ideas?...

  1. graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing

    I have now successfully enabled mrtg traffic and line quality graphing
    and would like to do something similar if not use mrtg itself to graph
    hardware information such as temperature from lmsensors that now appears
    to be working.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > I have now successfully enabled mrtg traffic and line quality graphing
    > and would like to do something similar if not use mrtg itself to graph
    > hardware information such as temperature from lmsensors that now appears
    > to be working.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Look into munin, it can graph about anything you have, with minimal
    configuration - it's plug-and-play

    Yes, munin does lmsensors, as well as hddtemp output.

    mrtg is soo last century - install and set up cacti if you want some
    real graphing power!

  3. Re: graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:03:46 +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

    > Look into munin, it can graph about anything you have, with minimal
    > configuration - it's plug-and-play
    >
    > Yes, munin does lmsensors, as well as hddtemp output.
    >
    > mrtg is soo last century - install and set up cacti if you want some
    > real graphing power!

    thanks! I have Munin up and running now - just ran the configurator or
    whatever and off it went! Straight up no problem. Do I need to put a
    password around this stuff? I'm pretty new to this so I am not sure if
    it fires up Apache and serves this out to the world or introduces a
    security hole by placing a web server on the Internet from my computer.
    I *am* behind a modem firewall and Nat but can never be too sure. I
    think the firewall blocks incoming port 80 requests anyway, but it would
    be nice to access this stuff from the Net if that is not too insecure.

    I found some plugin pages for Munin but no documentation on how to get
    them going or what is best - so I have every aspect of the system graphed
    except hardware like temperature and HDD temp and usage. Any thoughts?

    What is the advantage of cacti? Munin and mrtg seem to working well to
    graph everything, but you are saying Munin can replace what I have
    achieved with mrtg (line quality graphing)?

  4. Re: graphing hardware (lmsensors) output like mrtg traffic graphing

    Demosthenes wrote:

    > thanks! I have Munin up and running now - just ran the configurator or
    > whatever and off it went! Straight up no problem. Do I need to put a
    > password around this stuff?

    If it's accessible from the internet, then yes, that might be a good idea.

    > I found some plugin pages for Munin but no documentation on how to get
    > them going or what is best - so I have every aspect of the system graphed
    > except hardware like temperature and HDD temp and usage. Any thoughts?

    Hmmm the Munin that comes with Ubuntu Server includes most plugins
    already, so I didn't do anything to get them working...

    > What is the advantage of cacti? Munin and mrtg seem to working well to
    > graph everything, but you are saying Munin can replace what I have
    > achieved with mrtg (line quality graphing)?

    No, I am saying that cacti can do anything that mrtg can, and a lot more
    besides.

    Munin is more limited in the amount of info you can graph, but it is -
    as you have seen - absolutely trivial to set up.

    I run cacti and munin, haven't touched mrtg for years now.

    J.

+ Reply to Thread