phishing? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on phishing? - Ubuntu ; this morning I were in the Italian home page of AOL. I see to open a windows by toolsicuro.com I click on 'yes'. But the program do not start lol I am happy to use Linux :-)...

  1. phishing?

    this morning I were in the Italian home page of AOL.
    I see to open a windows by toolsicuro.com
    I click on 'yes'. But the program do not start lol
    I am happy to use Linux :-)

  2. Re: phishing?

    Daniel NA wrote:
    > this morning I were in the Italian home page of AOL.
    > I see to open a windows by toolsicuro.com
    > I click on 'yes'. But the program do not start lol
    > I am happy to use Linux :-)

    If we're collecting stories:

    I was looking for some icons the other day. When I visited some page, a
    popup window appeared and told my that my machine maybe was infected and
    asked if I wanted to do an online virus check. It offered "Cancel" and
    "Ok". Obviously I selected "Cancel", but the thing started its scan
    anyway and searched my entire C: drive, C:\Windows and all. In the end,
    it told me that it had found a virus somewhere in
    C:\Windows\System32\... and that I could d/l a tool to remove the virus.

    Odd, on a Kubuntu 7.04 based system ;-)

    Josef
    Josef M÷llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: phishing?

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Daniel NA wrote:
    >> this morning I were in the Italian home page of AOL.
    >> I see to open a windows by toolsicuro.com
    >> I click on 'yes'. But the program do not start lol
    >> I am happy to use Linux :-)
    >>

    > If we're collecting stories:
    >
    > I was looking for some icons the other day. When I visited some page, a
    > popup window appeared and told my that my machine maybe was infected and
    > asked if I wanted to do an online virus check. It offered "Cancel" and
    > "Ok". Obviously I selected "Cancel", but the thing started its scan
    > anyway and searched my entire C: drive, C:\Windows and all. In the end,
    > it told me that it had found a virus somewhere in
    > C:\Windows\System32\... and that I could d/l a tool to remove the virus.
    >
    > Odd, on a Kubuntu 7.04 based system ;-)

    Not odd on any system. I heard of a site that offers a file for Mac,
    then tells Mac users that they need to download a codec to view it. If
    they download the "codec," they get malware installed and have betrayed
    their password to the villains.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  4. Re: phishing?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:58:13 -0500, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Daniel NA wrote:
    >>> this morning I were in the Italian home page of AOL. I see to open a
    >>> windows by toolsicuro.com I click on 'yes'. But the program do not
    >>> start lol I am happy to use Linux :-)
    >>>

    >> If we're collecting stories:
    >>
    >> I was looking for some icons the other day. When I visited some page, a
    >> popup window appeared and told my that my machine maybe was infected
    >> and asked if I wanted to do an online virus check. It offered "Cancel"
    >> and "Ok". Obviously I selected "Cancel", but the thing started its scan
    >> anyway and searched my entire C: drive, C:\Windows and all. In the end,
    >> it told me that it had found a virus somewhere in
    >> C:\Windows\System32\... and that I could d/l a tool to remove the
    >> virus.
    >>
    >> Odd, on a Kubuntu 7.04 based system ;-)
    >>

    > Not odd on any system. I heard of a site that offers a file for Mac,
    > then tells Mac users that they need to download a codec to view it. If
    > they download the "codec," they get malware installed and have betrayed
    > their password to the villains.

    From the earliest days of Usenet: "If it's spam, it's a scam!"
    You'd think that people could generalize that to recognize that any
    unexpected Web popup that announces that your machine has a virus, and
    offers to "remove" it is a trap.

+ Reply to Thread