Steam / Half Life - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Steam / Half Life - Ubuntu ; Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed it and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications - it just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors. I have ...

  1. Steam / Half Life

    Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed it
    and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications - it
    just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors.

    I have the Nvidia binary driver installed with tv output enabled.

  2. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed it
    > and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications - it
    > just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors.
    >
    > I have the Nvidia binary driver installed with tv output enabled.

    Yes, to steam
    No, to Halflife
    I have CS:S running.

    Software:
    Gusty 64bit
    Wine 0.9.46
    I don't have the fonts installed, I've edited the system.reg file so I
    don't need the tahoma font "tahoma" = "courier"
    I am using the restricted driver for my nvidia card.

    MSI Motherboard.
    AMD 3500 CPU
    1 gig ram ( upgrading to 2 this week should help push up frame rate. )
    AOpen N41.1 NVidia 6800??? with 256mb memory.
    Samsung 2232bw ( CS:S running at 1650 * 1050 )

    Ram

  3. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Ram wrote:

    > Demosthenes wrote:
    >> Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed
    >> it and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications -
    >> it just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors.
    >>
    >> I have the Nvidia binary driver installed with tv output enabled.

    > Yes, to steam
    > No, to Halflife
    > I have CS:S running.
    >
    > Software:
    > Gusty 64bit

    Maybe that's why - 64 bit OS requires 64 bit software..

    I rebooted and Half Life 2 deathmatch comes up now although a bit
    stuttery and when I tried it in a Internet match with other players it
    often stalled (got stuck with a repeating sound loop), but hey it's a
    start.

  4. Re: Steam / Half Life

    just did it again, with players in the map over an Internet game it gets
    stuck on a sound sample loop and freezes..

  5. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:18:31 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:

    > just did it again, with players in the map over an Internet game it gets
    > stuck on a sound sample loop and freezes..

    and it remained that way even after logging out to kill it, and I killed
    it from a console and then the whole machine was unusable (no console
    access - just a flashing cursor).

    Well it's a start anyway - at least it *works* just clearly some bugs to
    work out..

  6. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:18:31 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:
    >
    >> just did it again, with players in the map over an Internet game it gets
    >> stuck on a sound sample loop and freezes..

    > and it remained that way even after logging out to kill it, and I killed
    > it from a console and then the whole machine was unusable (no console
    > access - just a flashing cursor).
    >
    > Well it's a start anyway - at least it *works* just clearly some bugs to
    > work out..

    make sure wine is using OSS, run winecfg in a console.

    Ram

  7. Re: Steam / Half Life

    > > just did it again, with players in the map over an Internet game it gets
    > > stuck on a sound sample loop and freezes..

    If it's any consolation, it does that to me under Windows too on a
    fairly regular basis !

    > and it remained that way even after logging out to kill it, and I killed
    > it from a console and then the whole machine was unusable (no console
    > access - just a flashing cursor).

    When mine does the above, I have to force a reset - I can't see
    anything other than the glitched graphics of a stuck game.

  8. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On 10 Nov 2007 06:45:04 GMT
    Demosthenes wrote:

    > Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed it
    > and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications - it
    > just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors.
    >
    > I have the Nvidia binary driver installed with tv output enabled.

    Steam works like a charm here, but none of the programs I can install
    under that actually work.

    I dual boot with XP for playing games, Steam and most of the programs
    (including HL2) work in that.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  9. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:58:07 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > I dual boot with XP for playing games, Steam and most of the programs
    > (including HL2) work in that.

    no way, I'm not doing that! I am like a recovering smoker, I don't want
    that in my house at all!

  10. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > Has anyone got Steam or Half Life working on Linux? I have installed it
    > and have installed the fonts but it won't launch any applications - it
    > just stalls with high CPU usage or crashes with no errors.
    >
    > I have the Nvidia binary driver installed with tv output enabled.

    I'm using wine 0.9.49, nvidia-glx-new (100.14.19), and alsa, Steam and
    all games in it work perfectly for me (HL1 and HL2+Episodes). This guide
    may be of use getting HL2 to work properly, and in turn other games.
    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/15/how...tu-using-wine/

    Hope this helps,
    jscinoz

  11. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:32:13 +1100, Jack Coulter wrote:

    > http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/15/how...2-half-life-2-

    hl2-ep-12-in-ubuntu-using-wine/

    > Hope this helps,
    > jscinoz

    thanks! Basically it seems to differ by suggesting I use ALSA instead of
    OSS.. I'll give it a shot.. cheers!

  12. Re: Steam / Half Life

    just tried running with Alsa instead of OSS and same problem - after a
    short while it hangs (graphics freezes and stuck on a sound sample loop).

  13. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:11:34 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:58:07 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> I dual boot with XP for playing games, Steam and most of the programs
    >> (including HL2) work in that.

    > no way, I'm not doing that! I am like a recovering smoker, I don't want
    > that in my house at all!

    While I am pretty much with you on that, it is the best way.

    I do not play many PC games. If I were to decide to start again, though,
    I would use a WinXP dual-boot, and play the games on XP. I much prefer
    Linux to Windows, but most of the games are written for Windows, and
    you'll just get better performance running them on their native platform.

    Besides, I still have plenty of Windows machines in the house. The fact
    that I rarely touch them (except to fix them) doesn't stop them from
    existing... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On 10 Nov 2007 22:11:34 GMT
    Demosthenes wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:58:07 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > I dual boot with XP for playing games, Steam and most of the programs
    > > (including HL2) work in that.

    > no way, I'm not doing that! I am like a recovering smoker, I don't want
    > that in my house at all!

    Hope you like Tux Racer then :-)

    There are some games that will run in Wine (or Cedega or whatever) and
    there's some Linux ports of games, notably ID games but by discounting
    Windows altogether you are seriously restricting yourself to the amount
    of choice you will have.

    You might switch from a hammer to a more elegant screwdriver but now
    and again there's still a nail that needs knocking in.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  15. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:11:31 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    you are seriously restricting yourself to the amount
    > of choice you will have.

    I rarely play games so it's no big deal, I just purchased Half Life 2 so
    would be nice to play it, and some other games as well.. I guess you're
    right that you get better performance in the 'native' platform?

    I thought Cedega was doing a good job though?

  16. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > just tried running with Alsa instead of OSS and same problem - after a
    > short while it hangs (graphics freezes and stuck on a sound sample loop).

    Initially I had it running on Feisty without a hitch, I then install
    Quake Wars ( Linux Demo ) for that to run smoothly I had to change my
    base system sound over from OSS to ALSA. not exactly sure what I did or
    which module I changed, I can't find the page I got the info from.
    However I'm not 100% sure I'd ran CSS after that. Then I upgraded to
    Gusty and Wine itself as also been updated. Anyway it's broke now with
    the looping sound.

    Anyhow over the weekend I tested CSS on a clean installs of Gusty and
    Feisty both have the looping issue, this may point to an issue with Wine
    or with one of the recent updates.

    In a bid to get to the bottom of this I install Crossover from
    CodeWeavers. Free 30 try-out. CSS played without a problem in the sound
    when I tested tonight for about an hour.

    Ram

  17. Re: Steam / Half Life

    what is crossover?

  18. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > what is crossover?

    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

    Ram

  19. Re: Steam / Half Life

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:02:55 +0000, Ram wrote:

    > http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
    >
    > Ram

    US$40 - well that's not too bad I suppose if it is a usable supported
    version of WINE - is that what it is?

  20. Re: Steam / Half Life

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:02:55 +0000, Ram wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
    >>
    >> Ram

    > US$40 - well that's not too bad I suppose if it is a usable supported
    > version of WINE - is that what it is?

    Basically, but it's aimed more at office apps but works for Halflife and
    WOW. As I said you can try it out for 30 days so give it a try.

    Ram

+ Reply to Thread