    I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On 2007-11-10, Demosthenes wrote:
    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    So what is stopping you? DVDshrink is an across platform programme.

  3. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Thoughts, I have many. For one, what the hell are you asking?

    Learn to ask a better question? Be precise:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#beprecise

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:10:42 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2007-11-10, Demosthenes wrote:
    >> I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > So what is stopping you? DVDshrink is an across platform programme.

    I thought it was windows only. I could not find it in the Synaptic
    package manager. I found many other DVD rippers but nothing I have
    managed to actually get working yet.

    Ripping to xvid would be ideal, if I could find something. Anyone had
    any luck?

  5. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:08:37 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Demosthenes wrote:
    >> I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Thoughts, I have many. For one, what the hell are you asking?
    >
    > Learn to ask a better question? Be precise:
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#beprecise

    This may make more sense if I insert this sentence

    "does anyone know of any good equivalents or better for Linux / Ubuntu?"

    Cheers..

  6. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:08:37 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Demosthenes wrote:
    >>> I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    >> Thoughts, I have many. For one, what the hell are you asking?
    >>
    >> Learn to ask a better question? Be precise:
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#beprecise

    > This may make more sense if I insert this sentence
    >
    > "does anyone know of any good equivalents or better for Linux / Ubuntu?"
    >
    > Cheers..

    k9copy
    --
    Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    a trail of destruction behind it.

  7. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:00:59 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > k9copy

    right on! about to press the green button and see how we go.. after I
    copy to xvid (mpeg4) it seems to output as an ISO - can I mount an ISO
    and play that somehow or will some players play directly from ISO?

  8. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    >>> I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.

    > This may make more sense if I insert this sentence
    >
    > "does anyone know of any good equivalents or better for Linux / Ubuntu?"

    "More sense"? Yes. Still not enough information. You're assuming we know
    what DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter do? We can guess, but I doubt most
    Linux users know exactly what they do. I sure don't!

    We shouldn't have to do your homework for you. Explain what each does,
    and then ask for the 'equivalents or better' question.. How else are we
    to know equivalents for those 2 programs?

    Perhaps though these will get you started.

    K9copy, as someone else has suggested, which is indeed lovely.

    Also, DVD95:
    http://dvd95.sourceforge.net/

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    > We shouldn't have to do your homework for you. Explain what each does,
    > and then ask for the 'equivalents or better' question..

    One decrypts dvds to iso's or files, the other shrinks to a 4.9GB ISO.

    > K9copy, as someone else has suggested, which is indeed lovely.
    >
    > Also, DVD95:
    > http://dvd95.sourceforge.net/

    thank you :-) trying K9copy now..

  10. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    >> k9copy

    > right on! about to press the green button and see how we go.. after I
    > copy to xvid (mpeg4) it seems to output as an ISO - can I mount an ISO
    > and play that somehow or will some players play directly from ISO?

    Output will be .avi if you chose create mpeg-4 instead of DVD. But yes,
    if you chose to copy a DVD to your hard-drive you can choose .iso format
    and a few players will play iso. VLC most impressively (chapters and menus).

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > One decrypts dvds to iso's or files, the other shrinks to a 4.9GB ISO.

    DVD95 does both these things. DVD95 is an gnome application to convert
    DVD9 to DVD5 (4.7GB). 4.9GB won't fit on a normal single layer DVD.

    > thank you :-) trying K9copy now..

    K9copy can shrink entire DVDs like DVD95, to 4.7GB (iso file) or convert
    separate titles of DVD to mpeg-4.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  12. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    thank you everyone for your help :-)

    I tried K9 and it whizzed through everything and produced nothing.. not
    sure what happened there. no errors that I could see. It did recognise
    the DVD though.

    outputting to avi woudl be terrific.

  13. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:29:57 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:

    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I like acidrip... running Gnome desktop here.

  14. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    OS: Linux/Debian(mostly)

    I have used VOBCOOPY to rip onto disk and FFMPEG to compress.
    For '.ogg' video compressiom see also vob2theora.

    VOBCOPY is fast, FFMPEG probably takes 2x play time unless you have a
    very fast processor. I think I damaged a Thinkpad T20 due to
    overheating in compressing some 40+ operas, some over 4hours long
    playing time, all to play on that and present T42 laptop.

    Recently I redid all rips onto (2) 500GB USB disks which I can plug into
    any Linux and play in full mode, allowing even subtitles. FFMPEG and
    OGG-VORBIS compression does not do this yet. Subtitles are useful for
    foreign movies and operas.

    I won't try compression again until (1) I buy and faster CPU, and (2)
    only for those videos where I would not use subtitles until software
    handles it.

    WARNING: I had problems recently with a newly purchased video: I/O
    looping to resolve errors. Fortunatly I pulled plug, tried another DVD
    player and got DVD copied. Some tracks got cooked in process but not
    enough to destroy it, I home never to use it again. As mentioned above,
    if sw or hw goes cookoo you may destroy DVD and possibly cook your CPU.
    A programmer to maintains (author?) of one of these compressor
    agrees.

  15. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    Demosthenes wrote:

    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    You should stick with Windoze.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  16. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:29:57 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:

    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    RipIt4ME used in conjunction with DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter works fine
    in Linux under Wine.

    Jim

  17. Re: DVD ripper / compressor?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:29:57 +0000, Demosthenes wrote:

    > I had DVD Shrink and a DVD decrypter in Windows that worked a charm.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Ubuntu's page for software equivalents

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareEquivalents

    The Linux equivalent project