Encrypting a removable hard drive with data on it - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Encrypting a removable hard drive with data on it - Ubuntu ; Hello I have a 300GB hard disk that I have been using for a backup solution for 4 different machines for the past two months. About half of it is full. I wish to know if it is possible to ...

  1. Encrypting a removable hard drive with data on it

    Hello

    I have a 300GB hard disk that I have been using for a backup solution for 4
    different machines for the past two months. About half of it is full.

    I wish to know if it is possible to encrypt the hard disk without erasing
    any of the data. The reason is that I do not have any hard disks that are
    large enough to hold the data temporarily while I encrypt the disk.

    I am using kernel 2.6.x on all of the machines with access to the hard
    disk.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Encrypting a removable hard drive with data on it

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:18:46 -0700, Geico Caveman wrote:

    > I wish to know if it is possible to encrypt the hard disk
    > without erasing
    > any of the data. The reason is that I do not have any hard disks that
    > are large enough to hold the data temporarily while I encrypt the disk.

    encfs maybe?

    --
    John Stumbles

    Testiculate [v.t]
    To wave one's arms around while talking bollocks.

  3. Re: Encrypting a removable hard drive with data on it

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:18:46 -0700, Geico Caveman wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have a 300GB hard disk that I have been using for a backup solution for 4
    > different machines for the past two months. About half of it is full.
    >
    > I wish to know if it is possible to encrypt the hard disk without erasing
    > any of the data. The reason is that I do not have any hard disks that are
    > large enough to hold the data temporarily while I encrypt the disk.

    encfs?

    --
    John Stumbles

    Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

+ Reply to Thread