improving appearance of 'panels' / banners - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on improving appearance of 'panels' / banners - Ubuntu ; I am running the default Ubuntu Gnome 'panel' or 'banner' system - is there any way to improve on this appearance to how I remember Linux years ago? With the nice looking Gnome clock and just in general. However I ...

  1. improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    I am running the default Ubuntu Gnome 'panel' or 'banner' system - is
    there any way to improve on this appearance to how I remember Linux years
    ago? With the nice looking Gnome clock and just in general.

    However I have just managed to get full screen video working with
    Xinerama enabled so I can watch videos on the TV so I don't want to mess
    that up.

    Installing and playing around with themes does not seem to have achieved
    much.

  2. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I am running the default Ubuntu Gnome 'panel' or 'banner' system - is
    > there any way to improve on this appearance to how I remember Linux years
    > ago? With the nice looking Gnome clock and just in general.
    >
    > However I have just managed to get full screen video working with
    > Xinerama enabled so I can watch videos on the TV so I don't want to mess
    > that up.
    >
    > Installing and playing around with themes does not seem to have achieved
    > much.

    Demo. Is that you?

    Anyway, what exactly do you want to do with your gnome interface? It's
    all possible. You can tweak to your hearts desire.

    For instance, Right click an empty part of either or both menu bars
    and select properties. Select background and choose a transparent setting
    to allow your wallpaper to show through. The slider on mine is about
    1/3rd of the way to the left? It's a cool effect.

    You may also want to check out "Cairo Clock" from Synaptic. It's the
    one Vista copied for Vista.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:58:21 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I am running the default Ubuntu Gnome 'panel' or 'banner' system - is
    >> there any way to improve on this appearance to how I remember Linux
    >> years ago? With the nice looking Gnome clock and just in general.
    >>
    >> However I have just managed to get full screen video working with
    >> Xinerama enabled so I can watch videos on the TV so I don't want to
    >> mess that up.
    >>
    >> Installing and playing around with themes does not seem to have
    >> achieved much.

    > Demo. Is that you?
    >
    > Anyway, what exactly do you want to do with your gnome interface? It's
    > all possible. You can tweak to your hearts desire.
    >
    > For instance, Right click an empty part of either or both menu bars and
    > select properties. Select background and choose a transparent setting to
    > allow your wallpaper to show through. The slider on mine is about 1/3rd
    > of the way to the left? It's a cool effect.
    >
    > You may also want to check out "Cairo Clock" from Synaptic. It's the one
    > Vista copied for Vista.

    Demo - no I am just Demosthenes... The one and only..

    If you do a search on Google you can find some pretty sweet Gnome desktop
    variations, does Ubuntu use 'panels' to keep it stable? Is there any way
    to try something else than 'panels'? The transparency does look col for
    sure though.

    I received an X error when I tried to load Cairo Clock from the panel.
    How original of Windows to rip off Linux. It's not like they have any
    creative talent.

  4. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:58:21 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I am running the default Ubuntu Gnome 'panel' or 'banner' system - is
    >>> there any way to improve on this appearance to how I remember Linux
    >>> years ago? With the nice looking Gnome clock and just in general.
    >>>
    >>> However I have just managed to get full screen video working with
    >>> Xinerama enabled so I can watch videos on the TV so I don't want to
    >>> mess that up.
    >>>
    >>> Installing and playing around with themes does not seem to have
    >>> achieved much.

    >> Demo. Is that you?
    >>
    >> Anyway, what exactly do you want to do with your gnome interface? It's
    >> all possible. You can tweak to your hearts desire.
    >>
    >> For instance, Right click an empty part of either or both menu bars and
    >> select properties. Select background and choose a transparent setting to
    >> allow your wallpaper to show through. The slider on mine is about 1/3rd
    >> of the way to the left? It's a cool effect.
    >>
    >> You may also want to check out "Cairo Clock" from Synaptic. It's the one
    >> Vista copied for Vista.

    > Demo - no I am just Demosthenes... The one and only..

    Heh. No. There is another. He resides in other NG's I frequent.
    Funnily enough, another antipodean too.

    > If you do a search on Google you can find some pretty sweet Gnome desktop
    > variations, does Ubuntu use 'panels' to keep it stable? Is there any way
    > to try something else than 'panels'? The transparency does look col for
    > sure though.

    I'm not 100% sure what effect or style you're looking for, but there
    are some user contributed themese at the following link
    http://www.gnome-look.org/

    > I received an X error when I tried to load Cairo Clock from the panel.
    > How original of Windows to rip off Linux. It's not like they have any
    > creative talent.

    What video card are you running? You need to have glx capable graphics
    for Cairo Clock (iirc).

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:07:35 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Heh. No. There is another. He resides in other NG's I frequent. Funnily
    > enough, another antipodean too.

    How did you know I was in Aus? I mentioned it another thread, but yeah
    that's observant.

    Guess we like ancient Green philosophers this side of the world.

    > I'm not 100% sure what effect or style you're looking for, but there are
    > some user contributed themese at the following link
    > http://www.gnome-look.org/

    Just anything jazzed up a little, the panel is a bit blase although I
    completely understand that Ubuntu is going for stability and usability
    out of the box, and I like it on an old laptop I gave to my fiance as it
    is resource efficient. But I want something more :-) Google searches on
    Linux desktop images reveal many impressive sights, even Gnome desktops.
    I just recall when I used Mandrake years ago that the basic distribution
    had a nice Gnome desktop or something out of the box. I'll take a look
    at gnome-look - can I break anything by experimenting from that?

    > What video card are you running? You need to have glx capable graphics
    > for Cairo Clock (iirc).

    Nvidia with binary driver and TV output enabled (btw - full screen video
    on the TV to watch downloaded video files is *great* - stoked I finally
    got it working).

  7. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:07:35 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Heh. No. There is another. He resides in other NG's I frequent. Funnily
    >> enough, another antipodean too.

    > How did you know I was in Aus? I mentioned it another thread, but yeah
    > that's observant.

    Yup. I read it in one of your messagesjust prior to posting.

    > Guess we like ancient Green philosophers this side of the world.

    Quite.

    >> I'm not 100% sure what effect or style you're looking for, but there are
    >> some user contributed themese at the following link
    >> http://www.gnome-look.org/

    > Just anything jazzed up a little, the panel is a bit blase although I
    > completely understand that Ubuntu is going for stability and usability
    > out of the box, and I like it on an old laptop I gave to my fiance as it
    > is resource efficient. But I want something more :-) Google searches on
    > Linux desktop images reveal many impressive sights, even Gnome desktops.
    > I just recall when I used Mandrake years ago that the basic distribution
    > had a nice Gnome desktop or something out of the box. I'll take a look
    > at gnome-look - can I break anything by experimenting from that?

    Nah. You simply change the theme from within gnome. You can change it
    back if you don't like it.

    >> What video card are you running? You need to have glx capable graphics
    >> for Cairo Clock (iirc).

    > Nvidia with binary driver and TV output enabled (btw - full screen video
    > on the TV to watch downloaded video files is *great* - stoked I finally
    > got it working).

    Have you got your dekstop effect switched on?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:55:59 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Have you got your dekstop effect switched on?

    said it couldn't for some reason - failed. Could be something to do with
    having the tv output and xinerama enabled?

    I would also like to select more than the two 'levels' of effect
    available, such as everything minus the wobbly windows. It did work
    before I got tv output working, could be that or a coincidence.

    I just tried to enable them again the screen flashed around and then said
    'desktop effects could not be enabled'.

    Well I have tv output working so I can watch full screen video on the TV
    so I'm pretty happy with that, I don't want to risk breaking it with
    'experimental' features.

    Just some skins or something would be nice.

    I remember years ago Enlightenment and stuff like that used to be a lot
    of fun but concerned I will break something if I play too much.

  9. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:55:59 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Have you got your dekstop effect switched on?

    > said it couldn't for some reason - failed. Could be something to do with
    > having the tv output and xinerama enabled?
    >
    > I would also like to select more than the two 'levels' of effect
    > available, such as everything minus the wobbly windows. It did work
    > before I got tv output working, could be that or a coincidence.
    >
    > I just tried to enable them again the screen flashed around and then said
    > 'desktop effects could not be enabled'.
    >
    > Well I have tv output working so I can watch full screen video on the TV
    > so I'm pretty happy with that, I don't want to risk breaking it with
    > 'experimental' features.

    I'm not 1`00% sure, but I think another Ubuntu user (Stephan Rose
    iirc) had exactly the same issue. No desktop effects while using
    twinview/xinerama.

    > Just some skins or something would be nice.

    The gnome look site is ideal for that.

    > I remember years ago Enlightenment and stuff like that used to be a lot
    > of fun but concerned I will break something if I play too much.

    Nah. As long as you make notes regarding what you've done, you should
    always be able to undo ir.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  10. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    On 2007-11-10, Moog wrote:
    >>> Have you got your dekstop effect switched on?

    >> said it couldn't for some reason - failed. Could be something to do with
    >> having the tv output and xinerama enabled?
    >> I would also like to select more than the two 'levels' of effect
    >> available, such as everything minus the wobbly windows. It did work
    >> before I got tv output working, could be that or a coincidence.
    >>
    >> I just tried to enable them again the screen flashed around and then said
    >> 'desktop effects could not be enabled'.
    >>
    >> Well I have tv output working so I can watch full screen video on the TV
    >> so I'm pretty happy with that, I don't want to risk breaking it with
    >> 'experimental' features.

    > I'm not 1`00% sure, but I think another Ubuntu user (Stephan Rose
    > iirc) had exactly the same issue. No desktop effects while using
    > twinview/xinerama.

    FWIW, I have twinview/xinerama working alongside desktop effects, so it is
    possible. Love dragging a window from my PC to my TV and flipping the cube
    around when I have visitors!

    --
    -Toby

  11. Re: improving appearance of 'panels' / banners

    Toby Newman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> said it couldn't for some reason - failed. Could be something to do with
    >>> having the tv output and xinerama enabled?
    >>> I would also like to select more than the two 'levels' of effect
    >>> available, such as everything minus the wobbly windows. It did work
    >>> before I got tv output working, could be that or a coincidence.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried to enable them again the screen flashed around and then said
    >>> 'desktop effects could not be enabled'.
    >>>
    >>> Well I have tv output working so I can watch full screen video on the TV
    >>> so I'm pretty happy with that, I don't want to risk breaking it with
    >>> 'experimental' features.

    >> I'm not 1`00% sure, but I think another Ubuntu user (Stephan Rose
    >> iirc) had exactly the same issue. No desktop effects while using
    >> twinview/xinerama.

    > FWIW, I have twinview/xinerama working alongside desktop effects, so it is
    > possible. Love dragging a window from my PC to my TV and flipping the cube
    > around when I have visitors!

    I may get back into the desktop effects once my new HDMI Large Screen
    1080p TV arrives. I quite fancy seeing it running at a large
    resolution on a huge screen.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."