    Anyone here using the free PC to PC service?
    How about the PC to phone service, the one you need to pay for?
    I am attempting to configure for the PC to telephone service after
    getting an account and am having trouble configuring, help would be
    appreciated.
    TIA
    Richard

  2. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On 2007-11-09, Me hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Anyone here using the free PC to PC service?
    > How about the PC to phone service, the one you need to pay for?
    > I am attempting to configure for the PC to telephone service after
    > getting an account and am having trouble configuring, help would be
    > appreciated.

    I was in the process of setting up a account with them when my man-PC
    died.
    It was rather straightforward.

    As my Crystal-ball is also in the shop, I can't see *which* problems
    you have, so please be more specific.
    In this box I don't have sound (well too lazy to put a sound-card into it)
    to go through all the steps, but if this problems is something I want to
    tackle, then I'll do it, In this case we could then see if the
    configuration works.

    OK ?

    So tell me, what exactly is your problem?

    > TIA
    > Richard

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:41:21 -0600, Me wrote:

    > Anyone here using the free PC to PC service?
    > How about the PC to phone service, the one you need to pay for?
    > I am attempting to configure for the PC to telephone service after
    > getting an account and am having trouble configuring, help would be
    > appreciated.
    > TIA
    > Richard

    I have a voipbuster account and I looked at
    there website how to configure a
    router with an hardware internet telephone.
    I just copied all these setting in the Ekiga
    prefs and settings.
    It works OK but on my rather "slow" computer
    there is some delay in speach.
    I have a Hard disk with Debian on it too and
    here I use "Twinkle", Twinkle is much better
    but I am not sure if that is due to Twinkle or
    Debian.
    Debian is faster then Ubuntu and eats less
    memory.

    Edmund

  4. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    I have Ekiga 2.0.11 installed on Linux Gutsy.
    I have an account with Diamondcard and a credit in my account.
    I have a sip and can make a test call successfully (voice both ways) to
    500@ekiga.net. This being PC to PC
    I want to call from my PC to telephones around the world. I am in Canada.
    I have an account # and PIN from Diamondcard as well as a login and
    password from Ekiga.
    Questions:
    What number do I prefix to call a telephone in Canada. I am using my
    home phone as a test and cannot call from my PC to my phone. I may not
    have the account set up correctly because I don't know what code/login
    or pin/password to use when I am setting up the account in Ekiga.
    Do I need a country code? If so, where do I find it? I assume an area
    code. Let's assume my area code is 205 and my home telephone is
    555-5555. What do I input to call?
    I have subscribed and been welcomed to the list and here is a quote from
    the email.

    > mailing list!
    >
    > To post to this list, send your email to:
    >
    > ekiga-list@gnome.org

    When I send an email to them, I get a message saying that my email must
    be checked by a moderator because I am a non member, so I have not been
    able to get there to get related info. That's why I posted here.

    That's basically it for my Linux machine. I can call PC to PC, not PC to
    telephone.

    Now my Windows XP on the laptop, that's another story. If you can
    provide some assistance with my first problem, I would greatly
    appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Richard

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-09, Me hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Anyone here using the free PC to PC service?
    >> How about the PC to phone service, the one you need to pay for?
    >> I am attempting to configure for the PC to telephone service after
    >> getting an account and am having trouble configuring, help would be
    >> appreciated.

    > I was in the process of setting up a account with them when my man-PC
    > died.
    > It was rather straightforward.
    >
    > As my Crystal-ball is also in the shop, I can't see *which* problems
    > you have, so please be more specific.
    > In this box I don't have sound (well too lazy to put a sound-card into it)
    > to go through all the steps, but if this problems is something I want to
    > tackle, then I'll do it, In this case we could then see if the
    > configuration works.
    >
    > OK ?
    >
    > So tell me, what exactly is your problem?
    >

    >> TIA
    >> Richard

    > Dragomir Kollaric

  5. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    > Debian is faster then Ubuntu and eats less memory.
    >
    > Edmund

    but isn't Debian for the 'hard core' and would have less features and not
    look as nice?

  6. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Debian is faster then Ubuntu and eats less memory.
    >>
    >> Edmund

    > but isn't Debian for the 'hard core' and would have less features and not
    > look as nice?

    Not at all. Debian is a fairly easy distribution to install. If you
    want "HardCore" go with Slackware.

    The differences between Ubuntu and both Debian and Slackware is down
    to "stability". Debian and Slackware go for stable above cutting edge.

    With Ubuntu you'll find a little more in the way of cutting edge
    programs and features than in a basic install of either of the other
    two. However, if you do want cutting edge, you can certainly do it
    with Debian and Slackware. It's just a little harder to set up.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    However, if you do want cutting edge, you can certainly do it with
    > Debian and Slackware. It's just a little harder to set up.

    What is Slackware anyway? That's been around for a *long* time right? I
    don't hear much about it. And Debian is the 'real' Linux right? The
    core..

    I'm pretty happy with features like Nvidia binary drivers and tv-output
    as I am still learning and not really that technically good then the more
    user friendly for fun stuff the better I suppose. I'll stick with Ubuntu
    for now. I have it working with everything I need and I'm over the moon
    about that!

    Except for Steam with HL2, that's all that's missing..

  8. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > However, if you do want cutting edge, you can certainly do it with
    >> Debian and Slackware. It's just a little harder to set up.

    > What is Slackware anyway? That's been around for a *long* time right? I
    > don't hear much about it. And Debian is the 'real' Linux right? The
    > core..

    Slackware is one of the first ever Linux Distro's. It is the ultimate
    hobbyists distribution. Ideal for people that want to compile their
    own kernels.

    Debian is very polished. I don't know about "real" linux. To be
    honest, it is extremely similar to most distro that use .deb files
    and the synaptic package manager. Obviously it was the first one to
    employ these tools and was created as an alternative to using the red
    hat .rpm way of installing.

    > I'm pretty happy with features like Nvidia binary drivers and tv-output
    > as I am still learning and not really that technically good then the more
    > user friendly for fun stuff the better I suppose. I'll stick with Ubuntu
    > for now. I have it working with everything I need and I'm over the moon
    > about that!

    Ubuntu is great. Highly configurable and a very frinedly and pentiful
    community for those times when you need a little help.

    > Except for Steam with HL2, that's all that's missing..

    I couldn't tell you about that. I never use a computer for gaming. I
    have a console and a PSP for that.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:25:28 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Ubuntu is great. Highly configurable and a very frinedly and pentiful
    > community for those times when you need a little help.

    you got that right! So far the 'rtfm' / 'dumb newbie' responses have
    been maybe less than 1 out of 10. 9 out of 10 responses in the Ubuntu
    community have been very helpful! I'm hooked.. Thanks to all!

  10. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:25:28 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >> Ubuntu is great. Highly configurable and a very frinedly and pentiful
    >> community for those times when you need a little help.

    > you got that right! So far the 'rtfm' / 'dumb newbie' responses have
    > been maybe less than 1 out of 10. 9 out of 10 responses in the Ubuntu
    > community have been very helpful! I'm hooked.. Thanks to all!

    That's the way it should be. I don't understand some Linux users who
    who wrap their arms around *their* distro and seem to actively
    discourage new users.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:16:04 +0000, Moog wrote:

    I don't understand some Linux users who who
    > wrap their arms around *their* distro and seem to actively discourage
    > new users.

    and then scoff at people who don't use their distro or bemoan the Windows
    dominated world.. always makes me laugh.

  12. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    I just got a friend a NodePhone (Internode) VoIP account (Australia) and
    he tells me that he has enabled port forwarding for port 5060 but it is
    still not working - basically he hears a 'ring' about 30 seconds after I
    try calling and he can't dial out.

    He is using Ubuntu.

    Any thoughts?

  13. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:43:44 +0000, Moog wrote:
    > Debian and Slackware go for stable above cutting edge.

    Actually, you have a choice with Debian. E.g. I run the Debian
    sid/unstable distribution which is extremely cutting edge but admittedly
    occasionally unstable.

  14. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:09:44 +0000, Mark wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:43:44 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >> Debian and Slackware go for stable above cutting edge.

    > Actually, you have a choice with Debian. E.g. I run the Debian
    > sid/unstable distribution which is extremely cutting edge but admittedly
    > occasionally unstable.

    You have a choice with Slackware too, you can run -RELEASE or -CURRENT,
    which correspond to Debian's Stable and Unstable.

  15. Re: Anyone using Ekiga softphone?

    Demosthenes illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:16:04 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    > I don't understand some Linux users who who
    >> wrap their arms around *their* distro and seem to actively discourage
    >> new users.

    > and then scoff at people who don't use their distro or bemoan the Windows
    > dominated world.. always makes me laugh.

    Indeed. I don't understand it. I certainly do not see the need for any
    of it in this Newsgroup. This place is turning into dog-turd recently.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread