printer problem? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on printer problem? - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu 7.10 Optra R printer Printer was installed automatically by Ubuntu. Sometimes the printer responds immediately to a print command and sometimes it indicates "busy" and sits for minutes/hours to print. It seems worse when trying to print a PDF ...

  1. printer problem?

    Ubuntu 7.10
    Optra R printer

    Printer was installed automatically by Ubuntu. Sometimes the printer
    responds immediately to a print command and sometimes it indicates "busy"
    and sits for minutes/hours to print. It seems worse when trying to print
    a PDF file using evince.

    Printing was never an issue with 7.04.

    Any ideas why printing is slower or erratic?

  2. Re: printer problem?

    franz frippl wrote:

    > Printer was installed automatically by Ubuntu. Sometimes the printer
    > responds immediately to a print command and sometimes it indicates "busy"
    > and sits for minutes/hours to print. It seems worse when trying to print
    > a PDF file using evince.
    >
    > Printing was never an issue with 7.04.
    >
    > Any ideas why printing is slower or erratic?

    Change as root in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf the line
    LogLevel warning
    LogLevel debug
    and restart cups (sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart)

    Then run
    sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log > /tmp/cups.log
    and print one of the "bad" things. Hit Ctrl-C to end the above comand.

    Now /tmp/cups.log contains a log of what CUPS is doing. You may post it
    here if it doesn't help you.

    Don't forget to change the LogLevel back.

    Florian