Bluetooth mouse behaviour? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bluetooth mouse behaviour? - Ubuntu ; Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B., most wireless mice are actually RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here). I know that when using my PDA to send files via bluetooth to my KDE desktop, kbluetooth ...

  1. Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B., most wireless mice are actually
    RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).

    I know that when using my PDA to send files via bluetooth to my KDE desktop,
    kbluetooth only shows its presence on the first GUI login (ctrl-alt-F7) and
    does not show it's presence on the 2nd login (F8).

    I wonder - is the same true of mice? If I buy a bluetooth mouse will I only be
    able to use it to control the first GUI login?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:00:01 +0000, someone purporting to be Toby Newman
    scrawled firmly:

    > Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B. most wireless mice are actually
    > RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).
    >
    > I know that when using my PDA to send files via bluetooth to my KDE desktop,
    > kbluetooth only shows its presence on the first GUI login (ctrl-alt-F7) and
    > does not show it's presence on the 2nd login (F8).
    >
    > I wonder - is the same true of mice? If I buy a bluetooth mouse will I only be
    > able to use it to control the first GUI login?

    The bluetooth mouse has a receiver that plugs either into the USB or PS/2
    ports on your computer. Right? Therefore the computer interprets the
    signal as a normal PS/2 or USB connection effectively removing bluetooth
    from the loop at that point.

    Try to think about things more logically.

  3. Re: Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    On 2007-11-08, Oddity wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:00:01 +0000, someone purporting to be Toby Newman
    > scrawled firmly:
    >
    >> Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B. most wireless mice are actually
    >> RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).
    >>
    >> I know that when using my PDA to send files via bluetooth to my KDE desktop,
    >> kbluetooth only shows its presence on the first GUI login (ctrl-alt-F7) and
    >> does not show it's presence on the 2nd login (F8).
    >>
    >> I wonder - is the same true of mice? If I buy a bluetooth mouse will I only be
    >> able to use it to control the first GUI login?
    >>

    > The bluetooth mouse has a receiver that plugs either into the USB or PS/2
    > ports on your computer. Right? Therefore the computer interprets the
    > signal as a normal PS/2 or USB connection effectively removing bluetooth
    > from the loop at that point.
    >
    > Try to think about things more logically.

    I'm trying

    I actually don't have a bluetooth mouse so I did not know that they had a
    dongle which outputs PS/2 or USB. I imagined when you bought a bluetooth mouse
    it didn't have a dongle, and used an available bluetooth connection on your
    computer.

    To be honest I'm not even sure you're correct. Are you sure you are not thinking
    of RF mice? It would seem a little silly to ship every bluetooth mouse with a
    USB bluetooth receiver. It's sort of like shipping a bluetooth headset with a free
    mobile phone in the box!

    --
    -Toby

  4. Re: Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:19:22 +0000, someone purporting to be Toby Newman
    scrawled firmly:

    > On 2007-11-08, Oddity wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:00:01 +0000, someone purporting to be Toby Newman
    >> scrawled firmly:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B. most wireless mice are actually
    >>> RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).
    >>>
    >>> I know that when using my PDA to send files via bluetooth to my KDE desktop,
    >>> kbluetooth only shows its presence on the first GUI login (ctrl-alt-F7) and
    >>> does not show it's presence on the 2nd login (F8).
    >>>
    >>> I wonder - is the same true of mice? If I buy a bluetooth mouse will I only be
    >>> able to use it to control the first GUI login?
    >>>

    >> The bluetooth mouse has a receiver that plugs either into the USB or PS/2
    >> ports on your computer. Right? Therefore the computer interprets the
    >> signal as a normal PS/2 or USB connection effectively removing bluetooth
    >> from the loop at that point.
    >>
    >> Try to think about things more logically.

    > I'm trying
    >
    > I actually don't have a bluetooth mouse so I did not know that they had a
    > dongle which outputs PS/2 or USB. I imagined when you bought a bluetooth mouse
    > it didn't have a dongle, and used an available bluetooth connection on your
    > computer.
    >
    > To be honest I'm not even sure you're correct. Are you sure you are not thinking
    > of RF mice? It would seem a little silly to ship every bluetooth mouse with a
    > USB bluetooth receiver. It's sort of like shipping a bluetooth headset with afree
    > mobile phone in the box!

    I can only go on past experience.. A friend of mine bought a logitech
    bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo and the receiver had two ports on it that
    plugged into the usb and ps2 if i remember correctly.

    I myself have the RF version, both have receiver pods that act as chargers
    when you stand the mouse in.

    I think the reason for this is so you can use the devices without having
    to load the bluetooth driver from within your O/S.

    I.E you can use the devices for important things like the BIOS.

    Whether this is true for all mice i couldn't tell you, but i dont think it
    would make much sense to HAVE to load a driver to use it.

    YMMV but i dont think you can go wrong with logitech.

    Sorry if i sounded a little brash before - one of those days.

    All the best

  5. Re: Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B., most wireless mice are actually
    > RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).

    If Bluetooth is not RF, how does it communicate?

    Ultra-sound? Infrared? FM? (no, that's not RF, it's a Navy term for
    "any sufficiently advanced technology.")

  6. Re: Bluetooth mouse behaviour?

    On 2007-11-10, Head Geek wrote:
    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >> Does anyone here have a Bluetooth mouse? (N.B., most wireless mice are actually
    >> RF, not bluetooth, and I'm specifically interested in Bluetooth here).

    > If Bluetooth is not RF, how does it communicate?

    With teeth

    But, yes, you're quite right. I meant "mice that communicate using bluetooth
    as opposed to those which communicate using their own proprietary standard
    and requre a dedicated RF receiver be connected to the computer".

    --
    -Toby