Problem with nfs mount - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problem with nfs mount - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu 6.06 server - both machines After I restarted one of my servers yesterday(down to change out a failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was mounted before the shut down, for some time, and ...

  1. Problem with nfs mount

    Ubuntu 6.06 server - both machines

    After I restarted one of my servers yesterday(down to change out a
    failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was
    mounted before the shut down, for some time, and as far as I am aware, I
    have changed nothing on either machine, other than the aforementiond cd
    drive.

    Now when I issue the mount command, it sits there for a minute or so,
    and then comes back with the message

    Mount: RPC: Timed out

    and the remote share is not mounted. I have checked everything I can
    think of:

    I have the correct identification for the remote machine.
    The mount point exists, and has appropriate permissions.
    The remote share exists, and is listed in /etc/exports.
    The remote nfsd is running.
    Both machines are lightly loaded (no run away processes), and have
    plenty of memory (no swapping).
    I am logged in as root on the machine where I am trying to do the mount.
    I can ping from one machine to the other, both ways.
    I don't see anything in any of the logs that is relevant.

    As I say, this was working fine until noon yesterday.
    Anyone seen this, or have a suggestion as to what to try next?

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: Problem with nfs mount

    William Colls wrote:

    > Ubuntu 6.06 server - both machines
    >
    > After I restarted one of my servers yesterday(down to change out a
    > failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was
    > mounted before the shut down, for some time, and as far as I am
    > aware, I have changed nothing on either machine, other than the
    > aforementiond cd drive.
    >
    > Now when I issue the mount command, it sits there for a minute or so,
    > and then comes back with the message
    >
    > Mount: RPC: Timed out
    >
    > and the remote share is not mounted. I have checked everything I can
    > think of:
    >
    > I have the correct identification for the remote machine.
    > The mount point exists, and has appropriate permissions.
    > The remote share exists, and is listed in /etc/exports.
    > The remote nfsd is running.
    > Both machines are lightly loaded (no run away processes), and have
    > plenty of memory (no swapping).
    > I am logged in as root on the machine where I am trying to do the
    > mount. I can ping from one machine to the other, both ways.
    > I don't see anything in any of the logs that is relevant.
    >
    > As I say, this was working fine until noon yesterday.
    > Anyone seen this, or have a suggestion as to what to try next?

    What does your /etc/hosts.allow look like? Hopefully like this (with
    the appropriate IPs substituted for my local and remote examples):

    portmap: localIP remoteIP
    lockd: localIP remoteIP
    rquotad: localIP remoteIP
    mountd: localIP remoteIP
    statd: localIP remoteIP
    nfsd: localIP remoteIP

    You can try running this command in a terminal to verify your NFS
    settings:

    rpcinfo -p

    This will give output like this:

    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100021 1 tcp 34117 nlockmgr
    100021 3 tcp 34117 nlockmgr
    100021 4 tcp 34117 nlockmgr
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 32770 nlockmgr
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
    100005 1 udp 777 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 780 mountd
    100005 2 udp 777 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 780 mountd
    100005 3 udp 777 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 780 mountd
    100024 1 udp 32771 status
    100024 1 tcp 49870 status

    If you don't at least see a line that says portmapper, a line that says
    nfs and a line that says mountd, then you'll need to backtrack and try
    again to start up the daemons.

    You might need an NFS restart:

    sudo exportfs -ar
    sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-common restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

    Or a network restart:

    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

    After the command runs, reboot the computer.

    That's about all I've got diagnostic-wise. Hopefully you already had it
    sorted. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.