Re: Dell dumps Ubintu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Dell dumps Ubintu - Ubuntu ; Guy Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > Dell dumps Ubuntu > No demand for open sores > > By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Tuesday, 06 November 2007, 5:47 PM > > > DELL APPEARS TO have dumped its flirtation with Ubuntu, in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Guy Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dell dumps Ubuntu
    > No demand for open sores
    >
    > By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Tuesday, 06 November 2007, 5:47 PM
    >

    > DELL APPEARS TO have dumped its flirtation with Ubuntu, in the UK at least.
    > One bloke who tried to order a Dell Ubuntu system told the Ubuntu forums he
    > couldn't get one. According to his posting here, Dell says the machine is
    > unavailable. Another poster reckons the whole thing was a publicity stunt.
    >
    > And if you visit the Dell UK site, the page either hangs or ends up with a
    > 'discontinued' sign.
    >
    > A call to Dell's marketing folk in the UK confirms Dell no longer supplies
    > Ubuntu pre-installed. "It has been discontinued in the UK," a closed source
    > said. µ

    I smell FUD

    Here's the output of an order I've just placed

    =====
    Congratulations! Your system is ready to be built.
    Components
    PROCESSOR N-Series-Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E2140 Processor
    (1.6GHz,800MHz,1MB cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Ubuntu Desktop Edition Version 7.04 edit
    MONITOR Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish edit
    MEMORY 512MB 667MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB
    DataBurst™ cache edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8300GS Turbocache graphics card
    edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD +/- RW Drive edit
    KEYBOARD Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    edit
    MOUSE Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black edit
    Accessories
    SOUND SOFTWARE Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio edit
    SPEAKERS No Speakers edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive edit
    MODEMS No Modem edit
    Services & Software
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return edit
    LINUX SUPPORT No Ubuntu Support edit
    ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT No Accidental Damage Support edit
    Also included with your system
    Gedis Bundle Reference Inspiron 530 - Ubuntu
    Dell System Media Kit N-Series Resource DVD - contains Diagnostics
    and Drivers
    Shipping Documents English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord
    Order Information Inspiron Desktop Order Uk
    Standard Warranty 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    Online Promotion Option for GEDIS Configs Dell Internet Order.
    =====

    So there you go.

    10 seconds to built an order a Dell Ubuntu PC from www.dell.co.uk, no
    hangs, no sign of them not delivering.

    Why does this crap "journalism" exist? Does nobody actually do any
    research anymore?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  2. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    In <5pch0gFqli6mU1@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > I smell FUD

    A dead giveaway:

    No demand for open sores

    WTF? No names, no links, no Dell announcement--nothing but trolling.

    > Why does this crap "journalism" exist? Does nobody actually do any
    > research anymore?

    They're too busy trying to smokescreen bigger fish fries, like this:

    Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it fired its chief information officer
    Stuart Scott for "violation of company policies" without providing any
    details.

    As I've said, the SCOx debacle has taught me a LOT about M$ astroturfing.

    More:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071106/1546786.html?.v=2

  3. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 01:16:35 -0000, Harold Stevens
    wrote:

    > A dead giveaway:
    >
    > No demand for open sores

    Oh, NOW I get it. The dimwit wanted to write "open source". I wondered
    why the lack of demand for open sores would be news to anyone.

    --
    Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project number #10548

    The "mypacks.net" address from which this message was sent is
    legitimate and not spam-trapped. It is, however, disposable.

  4. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-07, Moog hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Guy Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dell dumps Ubuntu
    >> No demand for open sores
    >>
    >> By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Tuesday, 06 November 2007, 5:47 PM
    >>

    >> DELL APPEARS TO have dumped its flirtation with Ubuntu, in the UK at least.
    >> One bloke who tried to order a Dell Ubuntu system told the Ubuntu forums he
    >> couldn't get one. According to his posting here, Dell says the machine is
    >> unavailable. Another poster reckons the whole thing was a publicity stunt.
    >>
    >> And if you visit the Dell UK site, the page either hangs or ends up with a
    >> 'discontinued' sign.
    >>
    >> A call to Dell's marketing folk in the UK confirms Dell no longer supplies
    >> Ubuntu pre-installed. "It has been discontinued in the UK," a closed source
    >> said. µ

    > I smell FUD
    >
    > Here's the output of an order I've just placed

    Thanks dude :-)

    I went to their website and I had no problems at all.
    It looks like some wintard's are also journalists..and getting a bit
    desperate...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  5. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In <5pch0gFqli6mU1@mid.individual.net> Moog:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> I smell FUD

    > A dead giveaway:
    >
    > No demand for open sores
    >
    > WTF? No names, no links, no Dell announcement--nothing but trolling.

    It was an article at the inquirer, and it was lazy journalism.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Dragomir Kollaric illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2007-11-07, Moog hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Guy Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Dell dumps Ubuntu
    >>> No demand for open sores
    >>>
    >>> By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Tuesday, 06 November 2007, 5:47 PM
    >>>

    >>> DELL APPEARS TO have dumped its flirtation with Ubuntu, in the UK at least.
    >>> One bloke who tried to order a Dell Ubuntu system told the Ubuntu forums he
    >>> couldn't get one. According to his posting here, Dell says the machine is
    >>> unavailable. Another poster reckons the whole thing was a publicity stunt.
    >>>
    >>> And if you visit the Dell UK site, the page either hangs or ends up with a
    >>> 'discontinued' sign.
    >>>
    >>> A call to Dell's marketing folk in the UK confirms Dell no longer supplies
    >>> Ubuntu pre-installed. "It has been discontinued in the UK," a closed source
    >>> said. µ

    >> I smell FUD
    >>
    >> Here's the output of an order I've just placed

    > Thanks dude :-)
    >
    > I went to their website and I had no problems at all.
    > It looks like some wintard's are also journalists..and getting a bit
    > desperate...

    Quite. I don't understand this style of FUD. It's so easily seen
    through that it just makes the people perpetrating it to seem like
    complete and utter buffoons.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-07, Moog wrote:

    >>> I smell FUD
    >>>

    > Quite. I don't understand this style of FUD. It's so easily seen

    Just out of curiosity, having seen the FUD acronym flying around like
    a soaring eagle the past little while, I am wondering if this link:

    http://www.cavcomp.demon.co.uk/halloween/fuddef.html

    is what the common meaning is or is there something else, like
    something with a word that rhymes with mucked at the beginning?

  8. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    "Harold Stevens" wrote in message

    > I smell FUD
    >
    > A dead giveaway:
    >
    > No demand for open sores
    >
    > WTF? No names, no links, no Dell announcement--nothing but trolling.

    Make yourself happy, dud...
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...l-dumps-ubuntu

  9. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    "Moog" wrote in message

    -------------- much childish whining snipped --------------------
    > Quite. I don't understand this style of FUD. It's so easily seen
    > through that it just makes the people perpetrating it to seem like
    > complete and utter buffoons.
    >
    > --
    > Moog

    Yup, buffoon just like you

  10. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 08 Nov 2007 02:13:16 GMT, Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    >Just out of curiosity, having seen the FUD acronym flying around like
    >a soaring eagle the past little while, I am wondering if this link:
    >
    >http://www.cavcomp.demon.co.uk/halloween/fuddef.html
    >
    >is what the common meaning is or is there something else, like
    >something with a word that rhymes with mucked at the beginning?

    http://www.acronymfinder.com

    I always thought it stood for Female Urinary Device!

  11. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-08, Guy Wilson hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >

    >> --
    >> Moog

    > Yup, buffoon just like you

    Strange why is "Hardon" not complaining about the insults
    this person tosses out? I guess to him if a Linux user gets
    insulted this is fine by him....

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-11-08, Guy Wilson hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> --
    >>> Moog

    >> Yup, buffoon just like you

    > Strange why is "Hardon" not complaining about the insults
    > this person tosses out? I guess to him if a Linux user gets
    > insulted this is fine by him....

    It is.
    In COLA he exclusivly sides with the worst of the scum
    And attacks *every* linux advocate. Apart from lying constantly, naturally
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Form follows malfunction.

  13. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-08, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-08, Guy Wilson hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Moog" wrote in message

    >>> Yup, buffoon just like you

    >> Strange why is "Hardon" not complaining about the insults
    >> this person tosses out? I guess to him if a Linux user gets
    >> insulted this is fine by him....
    >>

    > It is. In COLA he exclusivly sides with the worst of the
    > scum And attacks *every* linux advocate. Apart from lying
    > constantly, naturally

    When the entertaining factor wears off, he'll find a eternal
    resting place in my "Score-file" :-)

    PS: of course I reserve me the right to change my mind...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  14. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Dragomir Kollaric writes:

    > On 2007-11-08, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> Strange why is "Hardon" not complaining about the insults
    >>> this person tosses out? I guess to him if a Linux user gets
    >>> insulted this is fine by him....

    I had the thead killed. Easy when you know what you are doing ...

    >> It is. In COLA he exclusivly sides with the worst of the
    >> scum And attacks *every* linux advocate. Apart from lying
    >> constantly, naturally

    What advocates in COLA? I just see a bunch of weeners who pop in here
    every now and again to insult people.

    > When the entertaining factor wears off, he'll find a eternal
    > resting place in my "Score-file" :-)
    >
    > PS: of course I reserve me the right to change my mind...

    Well done. You are fast becoming another Peter lackey. I thought better of
    you. But if you want to become an "advocate" like Peter and William
    Poaster then be my guest. I would strongly advise not doing that and
    concentrating on trying to make the Linux world a better place as opposed
    to insulting users of other Operating Systems.

    Hint : google their contribution to *this* group. COLA must be taken
    with a pinch of salt.

    --
    Raising pet electric eels is gaining a lot of current popularity.

  15. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-08, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Well done. You are fast becoming another Peter lackey. I thought better of
    > you. But if you want to become an "advocate" like Peter and William
    > Poaster then be my guest. I would strongly advise not doing that and
    > concentrating on trying to make the Linux world a better place as opposed
    > to insulting users of other Operating Systems.

    If you thought better of me, why did you call me "fanboi" in
    the third or forth reply of yours? You did it as soon as I
    said something negative about WindowsME.

    Again, Take your own medicine. You bemoan the usage of
    "wintard" but find it perfectly alright to call a person
    after the third or fourth post to this ng a "fanboi" as in
    my case. And I'm sure this wasn't the first occasion.

    > Hint : google their contribution to *this* group. COLA
    > must be taken with a pinch of salt.

    Now if you feel they don't contribute to the group, so why
    do you continue to read them?

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Dragomir Kollaric writes:

    > On 2007-11-08, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >> Well done. You are fast becoming another Peter lackey. I thought better of
    >> you. But if you want to become an "advocate" like Peter and William
    >> Poaster then be my guest. I would strongly advise not doing that and
    >> concentrating on trying to make the Linux world a better place as opposed
    >> to insulting users of other Operating Systems.

    > If you thought better of me, why did you call me "fanboi" in
    > the third or forth reply of yours? You did it as soon as I
    > said something negative about WindowsME.

    No. I said it when wintard etc was used.

    > Again, Take your own medicine. You bemoan the usage of
    > "wintard" but find it perfectly alright to call a person
    > after the third or fourth post to this ng a "fanboi" as in
    > my case. And I'm sure this wasn't the first occasion.

    You are either a troll or an idiot. Work it out what the difference is.

    The FACT that you abuse and call names to anyone who uses Windows does
    indeed make you a fanboy.

    A person who uses Windows and Linux is NOT a "Wintard" or a "Windummy".

    YOu're clearly another zealot. You have found your niche. Enjoy the
    morons you have joined.

    Bye now.

    --
    ***
    *******

  17. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-09, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric writes:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-08, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well done. You are fast becoming another Peter lackey. I thought better of
    >>> you. But if you want to become an "advocate" like Peter and William
    >>> Poaster then be my guest. I would strongly advise not doing that and
    >>> concentrating on trying to make the Linux world a better place as opposed
    >>> to insulting users of other Operating Systems.

    >> If you thought better of me, why did you call me "fanboi" in
    >> the third or forth reply of yours? You did it as soon as I
    >> said something negative about WindowsME.

    > No. I said it when wintard etc was used.

    Again in context please. And some people come here to this ng and
    prove to be "wintards".

    >> Again, Take your own medicine. You bemoan the usage of
    >> "wintard" but find it perfectly alright to call a person
    >> after the third or fourth post to this ng a "fanboi" as in
    >> my case. And I'm sure this wasn't the first occasion.

    > You are either a troll or an idiot. Work it out what the difference is.

    See how easy it is for you to call another person "idiot".
    When one has no more arguments left the last recourse for
    them is call names.

    > The FACT that you abuse and call names to anyone who uses
    > Windows does indeed make you a fanboy.

    If this was a "FACT" that I called anybody names, then you
    would have posted it here. Fact is *YOU* can't find such a
    post of mine, so you are just blowing hot air. It comes easy
    enough for you to toss out unproven allegations, and since
    I'm reading this ng, you have failed several times to come
    up with the goods. Maybe this is accepted behavior over in
    COLA, and you better take your war there.

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    Dragomir Kollaric

  18. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-11-09, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:

    < snip >

    >> The FACT that you abuse and call names to anyone who uses
    >> Windows does indeed make you a fanboy.

    > If this was a "FACT" that I called anybody names, then you
    > would have posted it here. Fact is *YOU* can't find such a
    > post of mine, so you are just blowing hot air. It comes easy
    > enough for you to toss out unproven allegations, and since
    > I'm reading this ng, you have failed several times to come
    > up with the goods. Maybe this is accepted behavior over in
    > COLA, and you better take your war there.

    It isn't accepted behaviourt in COLA. And he has failed to come up with
    *anything* to substantiate his lies dozens of times already.

    Hadron Quark seems to think that if he often enough calls someone a "fanboy"
    or "member of the COLA crew" or "(insert your deragatory description here)"
    it will stick a little.
    What he fails to see is that this makes him the lying twit he really is, and
    that people see him that way because of his behaviour.
    Besides his constant siding with the real twits and wintards, which exist in
    all computer related groups, no matter how much he tries to deflect from
    that fact. That filthy scum tries to overwhelm any group with their garbage
    --
    Windows was created to keep stupid people away from UNIX."
    -- Tom Christiansen

  19. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:48:13 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >> The FACT that you abuse and call names to anyone who uses
    >> Windows does indeed make you a fanboy.

    > If this was a "FACT" that I called anybody names, then you
    > would have posted it here. Fact is *YOU* can't find such a
    > post of mine, so you are just blowing hot air. It comes easy
    > enough for you to toss out unproven allegations

    hardon is a dick, but you did post this.

    "I went to their website and I had no problems at all.
    It looks like some wintard's are also journalists..and getting a bit
    desperate... "

    stonerfish

  20. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    In Dragomir Kollaric:

    [Snip...]

    > you are just blowing hot air. It comes easy enough for you

    Re: Mr. Hotshot CERN Contractor. 'Nuff said...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast