Re: Dell dumps Ubintu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Dell dumps Ubintu - Ubuntu ; CBFalconer wrote: > caver1 wrote: >> CBFalconer wrote: >>> "mr.b" wrote: >>>> Evil Bert wrote: >>>> >>>>> This group has been hilarious to lurk in for the past several >>>>> days. >>>> oh yeah...and that's one snappy sig you have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

  1. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:

    >>> The second President of the USA. He came from Boston. HTH :-)
    >>>
    >>> (Much better than the 41st).

    >> You really think so?. He had Ben Franklin's grandson arrested for
    >> sedition. Imagine Bush having Lou Dobbs arrested. Jefferson as
    >> the Vice President couldn't say anything against Adams for fear of
    >> arrest. The antisedition act.

    > You have a point(s). I was basically making an anti-Bush rave. Is
    > 41st accurate?

    I'm not sure. Not a fan so I tend to not pay
    attention. I was just trying to point out that not
    alot has changed over the years.
    caver1

  2. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 10 Nov 2007 05:54:22 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> > they do try to redeem themselves
    >> > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sn-dump-ubuntu

    >> Heh. That was a poor effort at a "try".

    > Well, coming from a site that looks like the Sunday Sport it was a try :-)

    Must use more pictures of wimmin with their bazookas oot.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Moog wrote:
    > I think it's important that we are civil yet point themout for what
    > they are. For the benefit of the new user who may not understand what
    > is happening.

    Hear, hear! Too often on Usenet I've seen a purveyor
    of nonsense made to look like a civilized martyr by
    the respondents.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Truth often suffers more from the heat of its defenders
    than from the arguments of its opposers.
    -- William Penn

  4. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:18:24 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Heh. That was a poor effort at a "try".

    >> Well, coming from a site that looks like the Sunday Sport it was a try :-)

    > Must use more pictures of wimmin with their bazookas oot.

    They do normally publish picture sets of the eye candy on the stands at
    the shows they report on.

    Or so I'm told, anyway ;-)

  5. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Wes Groleau writes:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> I think it's important that we are civil yet point themout for what
    >> they are. For the benefit of the new user who may not understand what
    >> is happening.

    > Hear, hear! Too often on Usenet I've seen a purveyor
    > of nonsense made to look like a civilized martyr by
    > the respondents.

    Pointing out nutballs and trolls is fine. And god knows enough of the
    visitors from COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy) fit that description.

    However, calling legitimate Windows users "stupid", "wintards" and
    "windummies" wins Linux no friends. Referring to Vista as "Fista" is,
    well, so juvenile it's not funny. The odd crack or dig is fine, but
    making a habit of it is stupid and demeans the good work done in this NG
    to really advocate Linux and help nOObs get to grips with Linux. A lot
    of people forget how hard it can be to migrate.

    --
    Ieri e' un ricordo. Domani e' una visione. Oggi e' uno schifo.

  6. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    > However, calling legitimate Windows users "stupid", "wintards" and
    > "windummies" wins Linux no friends. Referring to Vista as "Fista" is,
    > well, so juvenile it's not funny. The odd crack or dig is fine, but
    > making a habit of it is stupid and demeans the good work done in this

    NG
    > to really advocate Linux and help nOObs get to grips with Linux. A lot
    > of people forget how hard it can be to migrate.

    You have a point. If the philosophy of the Linux users group is to
    spread the use of Linux to current computer users (mostly Windows users)
    than name calling and denigration of new users is definitely not the way
    to go.

    Very few new linux users are coming to this operating system as virgin
    computer users, they come from the Windows and Mac world. When you do
    decide to switch to Linux, it is a big step because the sytem is
    different. The GUIs in Linux make the transition somewhat easier, but it
    is still different.

    Usually when I see these types of posts from so-called "old time linux
    users" I write it off as insecurity. By making obnoxious comments about
    a user they think it makes them look better or point out that they are
    "experts" and therefore superior. I have seen many times when these so-
    called experts do offer a suggestion and it does not work or they were
    wrong, that instead of admitting they made a mistake they insult the
    poor new user.

  7. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Hadron wrote:

    > Wes Groleau writes:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> I think it's important that we are civil yet point themout for what
    >>> they are. For the benefit of the new user who may not understand what
    >>> is happening.

    >> Hear, hear! Too often on Usenet I've seen a purveyor
    >> of nonsense made to look like a civilized martyr by
    >> the respondents.

    > Pointing out nutballs and trolls is fine. And god knows enough of the
    > visitors from COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy) fit that description.

    And you top that list there.

    > However, calling legitimate Windows users "stupid", "wintards" and
    > "windummies" wins Linux no friends. Referring to Vista as "Fista" is,
    > well, so juvenile it's not funny. The odd crack or dig is fine, but
    > making a habit of it is stupid and demeans the good work done in this NG
    > to really advocate Linux and help nOObs get to grips with Linux. A lot
    > of people forget how hard it can be to migrate.

    Only if one is locked into the Wintard mindset (such as you) is it so
    difficult to migrate. As soon as one unlearns all the bad habits
    MickeyMouse has ingrained in these users and they start to approach their
    computers with a fresh outlook, Linux becomes very easy and LOGICAL to use.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  8. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    NoStop wrote in

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Groleau writes:

    >>> Hear, hear! Too often on Usenet I've seen a purveyor
    >>> of nonsense made to look like a civilized martyr by
    >>> the respondents.

    >> Pointing out nutballs and trolls is fine. And god knows enough of the
    >> visitors from COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy) fit that description.
    >>

    > And you top that list there.
    >
    >> However, calling legitimate Windows users "stupid", "wintards" and
    >> "windummies" wins Linux no friends. Referring to Vista as "Fista" is,
    >> well, so juvenile it's not funny. The odd crack or dig is fine, but
    >> making a habit of it is stupid and demeans the good work done in this
    >> NG to really advocate Linux and help nOObs get to grips with Linux. A
    >> lot of people forget how hard it can be to migrate.
    >>

    > Only if one is locked into the Wintard mindset (such as you) is it so
    > difficult to migrate. As soon as one unlearns all the bad habits
    > MickeyMouse has ingrained in these users and they start to approach
    > their computers with a fresh outlook, Linux becomes very easy and
    > LOGICAL to use.
    >
    > Cheers.

    You have made my point far better than I could!

    First of all, I do not have a Windows mindset. I am merely pointing out
    that Linux is different from Windows, Windows within in its mindset is
    logical. Linux within its mindset is logical. The two are very different
    operating systems.

    I use both systems and find both of them useful. But I use a computer to
    get other things done, the operating system is not an end in itself. As
    long as Windows and Linux can service my needs, both are fine.

    Right now, Linux has a good chance of catching on with the general
    computing public. With the relative poor reception of Vista, I suspect
    that many XP users who have upgraded might consider looking around and
    taking a look at Linux. I doubt that many Mac users will switch since
    they generally seem satisfied with their operating system.

    Both Windows and Linux are far from perfect, both have their hang-ups.
    However, I must admit that I find the Linux group and some of its users,
    such as you, a bit snarky. Your attitude will not bring many new users
    in. As I said, if the goal is to spread the use of Linus, your attitude
    will not help in achieving that goal. Or pehaps you might be a user who
    feels "I'm all right Jack" and don't need anyone else. If so, why do you
    lurk here. You clearly do not wish to help the newbies but instead
    denigrate the new user.

  9. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On 2007-11-10, jellybean stonerfish hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:48:09 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> Disclaimer: I am NOT SAYING STONERFISH is a wintard OK!

    > I am a wintard. When I comes to using widows, I am retarded. I tried the
    > other day on a friends winbox to log in to my box with sftp. There is no
    > such thing installed, so I googled and find different programs, but I
    > don't know how to install them, or if it is safe to install them, as I
    > don't want to have conflicts with the anti-virus or the os.

    OK so we cleared that one up :-)

    Today I tried to help out a friend again, she is still using
    Windows ME. But the "Drive C" on her installation is just
    about 2 Gigs, formatted as Fat16. At the end of July I
    installed *Ubuntu on the same box, and I *know* I gave "C" 4
    Gigs or so, but when Windows ME was installed and we focused
    on Ubuntu, I didn't bother to check with Windows, other if
    it was booting OK.

    At that time she didn't have ISP and was not connected to
    the Internet. In the meantime she got herself broadband, and
    the ISP-Guy had a hell of a time installing her Internet, So
    he re-installed ME, and now it's back to square one, WinME
    has drive "C" as 2 Gigs. But the drive is almost full, about
    300 MB free, but if she isn't careful it gets filled fast
    and some Programs already complain "NO Space left".....

    So I have to install ME again, on a greater partition for "C"
    .... and hope I get the ISP set up right....

    > stonerfish

    Dragomir Kollaric

  10. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:08:11 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Referring to Vista as "Fista" is,
    > well, so juvenile it's not funny. The odd crack

    ^^^^^^^^^

    Now you owe me a new keyboard and a replacement mug of coffee!

  11. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Wes Groleau illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> I think it's important that we are civil yet point themout for what
    >> they are. For the benefit of the new user who may not understand what
    >> is happening.

    > Hear, hear! Too often on Usenet I've seen a purveyor
    > of nonsense made to look like a civilized martyr by
    > the respondents.

    Quite right Wes. Stopping to their level is tempting, but rarely
    achieves anything.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Little Gorm wrote:

    > Both Windows and Linux are far from perfect, both have their hang-ups.
    > However, I must admit that I find the Linux group and some of its users,
    > such as you, a bit snarky. Your attitude will not bring many new users
    > in. As I said, if the goal is to spread the use of Linus, your attitude
    > will not help in achieving that goal. Or pehaps you might be a user who
    > feels "I'm all right Jack" and don't need anyone else. If so, why do you
    > lurk here. You clearly do not wish to help the newbies but instead
    > denigrate the new user.

    Little Gorm, I've been here and helping others for a long time now. Far
    longer and way before you showed up. And, I've been doing more to promote
    Linux and Open Source than I'm sure you'll ever do. So, sorry, I'm not a
    lurker.

    As to attitudes around here ... I've seen this newsgroup starting to really
    go downhill in the last little while, thanks in large part to some of the
    Wintards that have started to come on board and bring with them all the
    Microsoft crap they've been so well schooled in. Don't like it? Sorry. I
    don't denigrate new users who are prepared to drop the Microsoft baggage
    and honestly approach using Linux as a different operating system compared
    to the toy operating system they're so familiar with.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  13. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    NoStop wrote in

    > Little Gorm wrote:
    >

    >> Both Windows and Linux are far from perfect, both have their
    >> hang-ups. However, I must admit that I find the Linux group and some
    >> of its users, such as you, a bit snarky. Your attitude will not bring
    >> many new users in. As I said, if the goal is to spread the use of
    >> Linus, your attitude will not help in achieving that goal. Or pehaps
    >> you might be a user who feels "I'm all right Jack" and don't need
    >> anyone else. If so, why do you lurk here. You clearly do not wish to
    >> help the newbies but instead denigrate the new user.

    > Little Gorm, I've been here and helping others for a long time now.
    > Far longer and way before you showed up. And, I've been doing more to
    > promote Linux and Open Source than I'm sure you'll ever do. So, sorry,
    > I'm not a lurker.
    >
    > As to attitudes around here ... I've seen this newsgroup starting to
    > really go downhill in the last little while, thanks in large part to
    > some of the Wintards that have started to come on board and bring with
    > them all the Microsoft crap they've been so well schooled in. Don't
    > like it? Sorry. I don't denigrate new users who are prepared to drop
    > the Microsoft baggage and honestly approach using Linux as a different
    > operating system compared to the toy operating system they're so
    > familiar with.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Well NoStop I guess you represent the worst of the elitist in the Linux
    world. With an attitude like yours you will not have to worry about
    people coming here I guess. Perhaps you have been at it too long, your
    attitude to newcomers from the Windows world certainly indicates that
    very well. Keep in mind that the over 90% of the PC users are Windows
    users. Where do you expect the new linux user then to come from? I
    seriously doubt that you are going to find many virgin computer users
    jumping into the linux world, they are going to come from the Windows
    world and they will bring with them the attitudes of the Windows world,
    what other attitude can they bring?

    I would hardly call the Microsoft Windows system a "toy operating
    system" since it runs on millions of computers and is used in commercial
    and government enterprises worldwide. I think this prevailing attitude
    among linux users does little to advance linux. Does Windows have
    problems, you bet it does, but so do all the other systems arounds.
    Ubuntu is a good operating system but it still has a way to go before it
    is going to find acceptance among current Windows users. I think it can
    do that. However, denigrating Windows and Windows users is not going to
    help that cause. Far from it, you, and many like you will, will turn
    some erstwhile linux experimenters away. In the end, linux use must
    increase or it is going to wither on the vine and then blow away.

    I make no claims at longevity in this forum since I am a somewhat of a
    newcomer to Linux although I got into it many years ago when Red Hat
    first came out. I have only recently got back into the Linux world
    because I have always felt that Linux was perhaps the better platform
    between Mac, Windows, and other Unix variants. I make no claim in being
    expert on linux or Ubuntu. However, I still feel that Linux/Ubuntu
    represents, for the first time, the best shot of becoming an accepted
    operating system for a mass audience.

  14. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Little Gorm writes:

    > NoStop wrote in
    >
    >> Little Gorm wrote:
    >>

    >>> Both Windows and Linux are far from perfect, both have their
    >>> hang-ups. However, I must admit that I find the Linux group and some
    >>> of its users, such as you, a bit snarky. Your attitude will not bring
    >>> many new users in. As I said, if the goal is to spread the use of
    >>> Linus, your attitude will not help in achieving that goal. Or pehaps
    >>> you might be a user who feels "I'm all right Jack" and don't need
    >>> anyone else. If so, why do you lurk here. You clearly do not wish to
    >>> help the newbies but instead denigrate the new user.

    >> Little Gorm, I've been here and helping others for a long time now.
    >> Far longer and way before you showed up. And, I've been doing more to
    >> promote Linux and Open Source than I'm sure you'll ever do. So, sorry,
    >> I'm not a lurker.
    >>
    >> As to attitudes around here ... I've seen this newsgroup starting to
    >> really go downhill in the last little while, thanks in large part to
    >> some of the Wintards that have started to come on board and bring with
    >> them all the Microsoft crap they've been so well schooled in. Don't
    >> like it? Sorry. I don't denigrate new users who are prepared to drop
    >> the Microsoft baggage and honestly approach using Linux as a different
    >> operating system compared to the toy operating system they're so
    >> familiar with.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Well NoStop I guess you represent the worst of the elitist in the Linux
    > world. With an attitude like yours you will not have to worry about
    > people coming here I guess. Perhaps you have been at it too long, your
    > attitude to newcomers from the Windows world certainly indicates that
    > very well. Keep in mind that the over 90% of the PC users are Windows

    Well said. However onestop is confused. By *far* the biggest spiral this
    group has is the COLA types coming in insulting people and generally
    trying their witch hunts. Fortunately saner posters tend to ignore them
    as a general rule. The COLA types take any negative mentioned as from
    being from a "windummie". Totally untrue. For the COLA types, Linux/Gnu
    has been faultless for "10 years"....

    > users. Where do you expect the new linux user then to come from? I
    > seriously doubt that you are going to find many virgin computer users
    > jumping into the linux world, they are going to come from the Windows
    > world and they will bring with them the attitudes of the Windows world,
    > what other attitude can they bring?

    Again well said.

    > I would hardly call the Microsoft Windows system a "toy operating
    > system" since it runs on millions of computers and is used in commercial
    > and government enterprises worldwide. I think this prevailing attitude

    And this view from these types is what puts a lot of potential
    new linux recruits off.

    > among linux users does little to advance linux. Does Windows have
    > problems, you bet it does, but so do all the other systems arounds.

    Yup. Another 60 odd updates on my Debian system the past few days
    addressing bugs and missing features. It is SW. SW has bugs. See the
    Ubuntu forums for more details. Yes, things get fixed, but things get
    broken alarmingly frequently too. See the posts about OO and Icons for a
    great example.

  15. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    > Only if one is locked into the Wintard mindset (such as you) is it so
    > difficult to migrate. As soon as one unlearns all the bad habits
    > MickeyMouse has ingrained in these users and they start to approach their
    > computers with a fresh outlook, Linux becomes very easy and LOGICAL to
    > use.

    ROFLMAO

  16. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Little Gorm wrote:

    > I would hardly call the Microsoft Windows system a "toy operating
    > system"

    It is. It has no proper security, no proper memory management, incomplete
    file handling and faulty filesystems, tacked-on networking that's
    fundamentally broken and all the rest... It really can't be taken
    seriously.

    > since it runs on millions of computers and is used in commercial
    > and government enterprises worldwide.

    Only because of the illegal business practice of MS forcing manufacturers to
    ship their "operating system" with every machine sold. many governments
    and an increasing number of commercial enterprises are realising that
    Windows is bad for productivity because it's insecure and unreliable and
    it's really expensive.

    > I think this prevailing attitude
    > among linux users does little to advance linux.

    Possibly, but probably not.

    > Does Windows have
    > problems, you bet it does, but so do all the other systems arounds.

    I'd rather have problems /I/ /can/ /fix/ rather than wait for the "fix" from
    the closed-source people.

    > Ubuntu is a good operating system but it still has a way to go before it
    > is going to find acceptance among current Windows users.

    In my recent experience, ex-Windows users find Ubuntu faster, more stable
    and generally easier to use than their old "operating system", and very few
    of them go back to the ancient, more expensive Windows.

    C.

  17. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Little Gorm wrote:
    >
    >> I would hardly call the Microsoft Windows system a "toy operating
    >> system"

    > It is. It has no proper security, no proper memory management, incomplete
    > file handling and faulty filesystems, tacked-on networking that's
    > fundamentally broken and all the rest... It really can't be taken
    > seriously.

    > In my recent experience, ex-Windows users find Ubuntu faster, more stable
    > and generally easier to use than their old "operating system", and very few
    > of them go back to the ancient, more expensive Windows.
    >
    > C.

    xubuntu user since last summer.
    And i still like it.
    Haven't started winxp in weeks.
    Well, only at home not in weeks ... ;-)

    I got a dual processor, scsi machine, 1000 mhz or so, at work.
    Pre-trash hardware ...
    Guess what, i happen to have my xubuntu install cd at work ...
    See what happens, there ...
    :-D

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  18. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

  19. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...oftware-piracy

    > http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/14586/30/
    >
    > http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...ml?id=95000750
    >
    > Enough?
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    Thanks. I couldn't be bothered. He's obviously another MS shill.

    C.

  20. Re: Dell dumps Ubintu

    Christopher Hunter said:
    > > Enough?
    > >
    > > Cybe R. Wizard

    > Thanks. I couldn't be bothered.

    No problem; I had a spare 30 seconds. There seems to be no end to
    Microsoft's crimes, even if restricted to only those for which they
    have been convicted. Should someone invoke the RICO act? The
    extortion part comes easily to mind.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.