How to change the console size? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to change the console size? - Ubuntu ; Hi, can anyone tell me (or give a link to a description) how to change the size of the console? It appears now after booting in a textmode like 80x25. I tried the 'vga='-kernel-parameter as known from other distributions but ...

  1. How to change the console size?

    Hi,

    can anyone tell me (or give a link to a description) how to change the size
    of the console? It appears now after booting in a textmode like 80x25.

    I tried the 'vga='-kernel-parameter as known from other distributions but
    the result is always a hanging console (flashing cursor at the left corner
    on black screen). The system boots and X is available, but the console
    does not work after passing a vga-parameter.

    Martin.
    --
    "Stay out of the road if you want to grow old" (Pink Floyd)

  2. Re: How to change the console size?

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > can anyone tell me (or give a link to a description) how to change
    > the size of the console? It appears now after booting in a textmode
    > like 80x25.
    >
    > I tried the 'vga='-kernel-parameter as known from other distributions
    > but the result is always a hanging console (flashing cursor at the
    > left corner on black screen).

    The initrd in Gutsy lacks some required modules (fbcon and vesafb):
    .

    If you don't remove the default "splash" boot parameter, the xres and
    yres in /etc/uspash.conf must correspond to the provided "vga=" value
    before you generate a new initrd.

    Ilja

  3. Re: How to change the console size?

    Ilja Sekler schrieb:

    > The initrd in Gutsy lacks some required modules (fbcon and vesafb):
    > .
    >
    > If you don't remove the default "splash" boot parameter, the xres and
    > yres in /etc/uspash.conf must correspond to the provided "vga=" value
    > before you generate a new initrd.

    Thank you for your response. I set xres and yres in /etc/uspash.conf to 800
    and 600 and done a 'sudo update-initramfs -u' but the console remains blank
    and not usable after a reboot with parameter vga=0x314.

    Tried also the advice in the given link (added fbcon and vesafb
    to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and disabled vesafb in the blacklist) but
    witn no success.

    Martin.
    --
    Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard
    to understand.

  4. Re: How to change the console size?

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > Ilja Sekler schrieb:
    >
    >> The initrd in Gutsy lacks some required modules (fbcon and vesafb):
    >>
    >> .
    >>
    >> If you don't remove the default "splash" boot parameter, the xres
    >> and yres in /etc/uspash.conf must correspond to the provided "vga="
    >> value before you generate a new initrd.

    > Thank you for your response. I set xres and yres in /etc/uspash.conf
    > to 800 and 600 and done a 'sudo update-initramfs -u' but the console
    > remains blank and not usable after a reboot with parameter vga=0x314.
    >
    > Tried also the advice in the given link (added fbcon and vesafb to
    > /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and disabled vesafb in the blacklist)
    > but witn no success.

    Just to rule out a possible misunderstanding: have you rebuilt the
    initrd after adding fbcon and vesafb to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and
    commenting out vesafb in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer?

    Why only 800x600? Is your graphics card unable to provide a more
    comfortable resolution like 1024x786x16 (vga=791) while in the
    framebuffer mode?

    Ilja

  5. Re: How to change the console size?

    Ilja Sekler schrieb:

    > Just to rule out a possible misunderstanding: have you rebuilt the
    > initrd after adding fbcon and vesafb to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and
    > commenting out vesafb in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer?

    Yes.

    > Why only 800x600? Is your graphics card unable to provide a more
    > comfortable resolution like 1024x786x16 (vga=791) while in the
    > framebuffer mode?

    Not the graphics card, but I still have a 17" Sony-Triniton monitor and
    800x600 looks better for me than a higher resolution.

    Martin.

  6. Re: How to change the console size?

  7. Re: How to change the console size?

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:00:07 -0500, Bolek Mynarski wrote:
    > This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
    > --------------enig866B4E1CBF5FDA8794E2871B
    >

    > --------------enig866B4E1CBF5FDA8794E2871B
    >

    > --------------enig866B4E1CBF5FDA8794E2871B--

    As a gentle reminder, this is usenet, we don't do html here. Please, in
    the future, turn off the html encoding feature of Tbird for Windows.

    Thank you
    Goph

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835