New scanner not seen by Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New scanner not seen by Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 127

  1. New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

  2. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    Because Canon don't support linux?

    Have you got sane installed? what happens when sane tries to detect
    scanners? My Lide30 works perfectly under sane but it usually takes a
    little while for newer models to be got working because Canon are
    notorious for not releasing the info needed to the open-source
    community. Google 'linux [model name]' or 'ubuntu [model name]' to see
    if anyone has got it working. NB sane is not installed by default unless
    a scanner is connected at install time: use synaptic or apt-get to
    install sane and its libraries.

  3. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > John Adams wrote:
    >> Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    >> Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    >> scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    > Because Canon don't support linux?
    >
    > Have you got sane installed? what happens when sane tries to detect
    > scanners? My Lide30 works perfectly under sane but it usually takes a
    > little while for newer models to be got working because Canon are
    > notorious for not releasing the info needed to the open-source
    > community. Google 'linux [model name]' or 'ubuntu [model name]' to see
    > if anyone has got it working. NB sane is not installed by default unless
    > a scanner is connected at install time: use synaptic or apt-get to
    > install sane and its libraries.

    PS sane = Scanner Access Now Easy (and, usually, it is!)

  4. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:33:44 +0000, John Adams wrote:

    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    It could be because Canon has zero support for Linux - IMHO you'd be much
    better off with Epson or HP.

  5. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    Check the Cannon site for the driver.

  6. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > Because Canon don't support linux?

    What's that got to do with new hardware being detected by the OS or not?
    There is no unknown device even listed in Ubuntu's hardware list as it
    would show in Windows.

    > Have you got sane installed? what happens when sane tries to detect
    > scanners? My Lide30 works perfectly under sane but it usually takes a
    > little while for newer models to be got working because Canon are
    > notorious for not releasing the info needed to the open-source
    > community. Google 'linux [model name]' or 'ubuntu [model name]' to see
    > if anyone has got it working. NB sane is not installed by default unless
    > a scanner is connected at install time: use synaptic or apt-get to
    > install sane and its libraries.

    No, don't have Sane installed but will go install it now and search for
    clues if it doesn't work after that. Thanks.

  7. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    ray wrote:

    > It could be because Canon has zero support for Linux - IMHO you'd be much
    > better off with Epson or HP.

    Can't find an Epson or HP with slide/negative scanner for the same
    price. No matter as I have Vista to scan with but will try to get it
    going in Linux too.

  8. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> Because Canon don't support linux?

    > What's that got to do with new hardware being detected by the OS or not?
    > There is no unknown device even listed in Ubuntu's hardware list as it
    > would show in Windows.
    >
    >> Have you got sane installed? what happens when sane tries to detect
    >> scanners? My Lide30 works perfectly under sane but it usually takes a
    >> little while for newer models to be got working because Canon are
    >> notorious for not releasing the info needed to the open-source
    >> community. Google 'linux [model name]' or 'ubuntu [model name]' to see
    >> if anyone has got it working. NB sane is not installed by default
    >> unless a scanner is connected at install time: use synaptic or apt-get
    >> to install sane and its libraries.

    > No, don't have Sane installed but will go install it now and search for
    > clues if it doesn't work after that. Thanks.

    NO scanner will ever be detected without sane, I think.

  9. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Check the Cannon site for the driver.

    Nope, OSX and Windows only. I wasn't expecting Ubuntu to have a driver
    for it but I was at least expecting it to see new unknown hardware. If
    the OS doesn't see the hardware at all then how is the driver (when I
    find one) supposed to know you even have one installed?

  10. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    I use the same scanner, and it works fine.
    I use ubuntu 7.10.

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop killing each other, lets all live in peace.
    Too much pain, too much suffering.

  11. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Primax wrote:
    > John Adams wrote:
    >> Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    >> Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    >> scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    > I use the same scanner, and it works fine.
    > I use ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > Mike.

    OK, thanks. I'm using Feisty so need to upgrade to Gutsy. I came across
    a post on the web where someone said it worked on Dapper but not when he
    upgraded to Feisty. I already had SANE installed but when I scan for
    scanner devices in The Gimp no scanner is seen. The below lists some
    Canon scanners that are known to work or not work in Ubuntu but the
    4400F is not even listed.

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...sScannersCanon

  12. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > NO scanner will ever be detected without sane, I think.

    Turns out I already had XSANE installed and it is still not detected.
    Seems it may be an issue with Feisty and I need to upgrade to Gutsy.
    Apparently this scanner worked in Dapper too but Feisty broke that somehow.

  13. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> NO scanner will ever be detected without sane, I think.

    > Turns out I already had XSANE installed and it is still not detected.
    > Seems it may be an issue with Feisty and I need to upgrade to Gutsy.
    > Apparently this scanner worked in Dapper too but Feisty broke that somehow.

    or downgrade to 6.06 LTS ;-)

  14. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Primax wrote:

    > I use the same scanner, and it works fine.
    > I use ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > Mike.

    Hmm, this person couldn't get it recognized in 7.10 but that must have
    been when it was beta still.

  15. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams wrote:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Check the Cannon site for the driver.

    > Nope, OSX and Windows only. I wasn't expecting Ubuntu to have a driver
    > for it but I was at least expecting it to see new unknown hardware. If
    > the OS doesn't see the hardware at all then how is the driver (when I
    > find one) supposed to know you even have one installed?

    Good, you got the point of my (cynical) remark.
    The problem lies with Canon, not Linux or Ubuntu.

    But a google for "linux detect usb scanner" can probably give you
    insight in the way Linux detects USB scanners, yes it is different from
    the Windows world.

    A start is the CLI command:
    $ lsusb

  16. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:39:25 +0000, John Adams wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> It could be because Canon has zero support for Linux - IMHO you'd be much
    >> better off with Epson or HP.
    >>

    > Can't find an Epson or HP with slide/negative scanner for the same
    > price. No matter as I have Vista to scan with but will try to get it
    > going in Linux too.

    I have no idea what you paid, but I have a very nice Epson slide/negative
    scanner which I got refurb from the Epson online store for under $100.

  17. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:33:44 +0000, John Adams wrote:

    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    Well, at least your's works in Vista. My understanding is my Visioneer
    7300usb is not supported in that release that I neither have nor want.

    Sane didn't find mine in 6.06.1 Ubuntu. In my case I had to use the file
    that Visioneer use in windows, referenced that in the gt68xx.conf file and
    create a directory to put the file.
    Look here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/16895
    that site gives a lot of info but the command they say to use
    "sane-find-scanner -q" didn't work for me unless I typed it wrong.
    Believe it or not, I got the info I needed from a SUSE hardware site,
    http://admin.math.cmu.edu/linux/pub/.../hardware.html
    Now that is specific to my Visioneer but the details of what you have to
    do is probably similar, you just need to find the equivalent file for your
    scanner. Good luck (ps, I didn't know what the hell I was doing at that
    time, I now know a little more but not much more.)
    Dave Cohen

  18. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:33:44 +0000, John Adams wrote:

    > Why isn't new hardware detected in Ubuntu like it is in Windows XP or
    > Vista and then prompt me to install a driver? It's a Canon Canoscan
    > scanner. What do I need to install to get it working in Ubuntu?

    You need to throw it in the trash and get a different brand. Canon does
    not support linux, nor do they release open source drivers so that others
    may write them.

    As for installing a driver, Linux is not Windows. If you install
    compatible hardware, you will not likely need to do anything but boot
    your computer...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  19. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > or downgrade to 6.06 LTS ;-)

    I would rather not downgrade or upgrade as Ubuntu is working really well
    right now and don't want to possibly have to go through hours of fixing
    things. The scanner works fine in Vista so will just use it there instead.

  20. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    ray wrote:

    > I have no idea what you paid, but I have a very nice Epson slide/negative
    > scanner which I got refurb from the Epson online store for under $100.

    I paid $150.00 new. Already have the Canon so am not going to go buy
    another scanner now. I've read this one can be made to work in Ubuntu
    once I upgrade to Gutsy. Thanks anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast