New scanner not seen by Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New scanner not seen by Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Dirk T. Verbeek wrote: > > But a google for "linux detect usb scanner" can probably give you > insight in the way Linux detects USB scanners, yes it is different from > the Windows world. > > A start ...

  1. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > But a google for "linux detect usb scanner" can probably give you
    > insight in the way Linux detects USB scanners, yes it is different from
    > the Windows world.
    >
    > A start is the CLI command:
    > $ lsusb

    OK, that's got me on the right track. Thanks. Still think the Windows
    way is better for adding new hardware.

  2. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Joe wrote:

    > You need to throw it in the trash and get a different brand. Canon does
    > not support linux, nor do they release open source drivers so that others
    > may write them.
    >
    > As for installing a driver, Linux is not Windows. If you install
    > compatible hardware, you will not likely need to do anything but boot
    > your computer...

    They have OSX driver and that is unix based so why can't someone hack
    those drivers to use in Linux? I am not trashing my scanner. It's a good
    bit of kit. Besides Ubuntu I also have WinME, Win2Kpro, XP, and Vista
    all installed currently so it's not like I am out of options to use my
    scanner.

  3. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    > Well, at least your's works in Vista. My understanding is my Visioneer
    > 7300usb is not supported in that release that I neither have nor want.
    >
    > Sane didn't find mine in 6.06.1 Ubuntu. In my case I had to use the file
    > that Visioneer use in windows, referenced that in the gt68xx.conf file and
    > create a directory to put the file.
    > Look here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/16895
    > that site gives a lot of info but the command they say to use
    > "sane-find-scanner -q" didn't work for me unless I typed it wrong.
    > Believe it or not, I got the info I needed from a SUSE hardware site,
    > http://admin.math.cmu.edu/linux/pub/.../hardware.html
    > Now that is specific to my Visioneer but the details of what you have to
    > do is probably similar, you just need to find the equivalent file for your
    > scanner. Good luck (ps, I didn't know what the hell I was doing at that
    > time, I now know a little more but not much more.)
    > Dave Cohen

    Hmm, might help but I think this url should get me going.

    http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-usb.5.html

    Someone posted that they have the same scanner working in Ubuntu so it
    is just a USB detection issue.

  4. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Derek Turner írta:

    > My Lide30 works perfectly under sane but it usually takes a

    I have a scanner Canon Lide60 type : perfect and works quickly.
    (Ubuntu 7.10)

    warp

  5. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:45:11 GMT, John Adams wrote:

    >Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Check the Cannon site for the driver.

    >Nope, OSX and Windows only. I wasn't expecting Ubuntu to have a driver
    >for it but I was at least expecting it to see new unknown hardware. If
    >the OS doesn't see the hardware at all then how is the driver (when I
    >find one) supposed to know you even have one installed?

    I don't know the answer to your last query but I have an AS6E scanner
    that has never been seen by any distro I've tried in the last 10
    years. This year I found a driver that some kind person had developed,
    installed it and voila! the scanner was there. Another obstruction to
    moving full time to Linux gone.

  6. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:13:30 GMT, John Adams wrote:

    >Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >

    >> But a google for "linux detect usb scanner" can probably give you
    >> insight in the way Linux detects USB scanners, yes it is different from
    >> the Windows world.
    >>
    >> A start is the CLI command:
    >> $ lsusb

    >OK, that's got me on the right track. Thanks. Still think the Windows
    >way is better for adding new hardware.

    Windows doesn't always see new hardware. Or even old hardware. I
    frequently have to install drivers for things like network cards on XP
    installs. Had one today where I'm going to have to search the net for
    a driver for it.

    If it worked in one distro there should be a driver for it somewhere.
    I did find this
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/canon-fb330p/

  7. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On 2007-11-06, John Adams wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> You need to throw it in the trash and get a different brand. Canon does
    >> not support linux, nor do they release open source drivers so that others
    >> may write them.
    >>
    >> As for installing a driver, Linux is not Windows. If you install
    >> compatible hardware, you will not likely need to do anything but boot
    >> your computer...

    > They have OSX driver and that is unix based so why can't someone hack
    > those drivers to use in Linux?

    Because Apple do not release the source. Check up on the BSD licence.

  8. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Alang wrote:

    > Windows doesn't always see new hardware.

    Yes, it does. It may not have a driver for it but at least you can see
    unknown device listed in device manager so you know you need to find a
    driver for it. Ubuntu doesn't even show and unknown device. I had sane
    scan for a scanner and while it did find the Canon Scanner it still
    can't make it usable, I need a driver and can't find one. That link you
    provided is for parallel port drive but it had one for USB. Doesn't look
    promising. Good thing I can use the scanner under Vista.

    http://canon-fb630u.sourceforge.net/

  9. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Alang wrote:

    > I don't know the answer to your last query but I have an AS6E scanner
    > that has never been seen by any distro I've tried in the last 10
    > years. This year I found a driver that some kind person had developed,
    > installed it and voila! the scanner was there. Another obstruction to
    > moving full time to Linux gone.

    I won't be moving to Linux full time, nor do I want to.

  10. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:33:44 +0000, John Adams wrote:

    > Why wasn't I born with a brain?

    TROLL ALERT

    adjust killfiles to -never expire

  11. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    "mr.b" writes:

    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:33:44 +0000, John Adams wrote:
    >
    >> Why wasn't I born with a brain?

    > TROLL ALERT
    >
    > adjust killfiles to -never expire

    Why are you telling people who they should kill file? But thanks for
    heads up about yourself.

  12. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:50:44 GMT, John Adams wrote:

    >Alang wrote:
    >
    >> Windows doesn't always see new hardware.

    >Yes, it does. It may not have a driver for it but at least you can see
    >unknown device listed in device manager so you know you need to find a
    >driver for it.

    I can assure you it doesn't always see unknown devices. I had the
    experience earlier this week of having to replace a network card in a
    machine I was upgrading to XP. Windows couldn't see it at all.
    Replaced it with a spare from an older machine and that was seen and
    installed. The card had been working under W98. Doesn't happen often
    but it does happen

    >Ubuntu doesn't even show and unknown device. I had sane
    >scan for a scanner and while it did find the Canon Scanner it still
    >can't make it usable, I need a driver and can't find one. That link you
    >provided is for parallel port drive but it had one for USB. Doesn't look
    >promising. Good thing I can use the scanner under Vista.
    >
    >http://canon-fb630u.sourceforge.net/

  13. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:52:05 GMT, John Adams wrote:

    >Alang wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know the answer to your last query but I have an AS6E scanner
    >> that has never been seen by any distro I've tried in the last 10
    >> years. This year I found a driver that some kind person had developed,
    >> installed it and voila! the scanner was there. Another obstruction to
    >> moving full time to Linux gone.

    >I won't be moving to Linux full time, nor do I want to.

    I only use Windows at home because I'm employed to look after windows
    systems. W2000 is the last windows system I'll have on any of my
    drives. I'll be retiring sometime in the next year and after that
    microsoft can take a running jump

  14. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    John Adams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Alang wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know the answer to your last query but I have an AS6E scanner
    >> that has never been seen by any distro I've tried in the last 10
    >> years. This year I found a driver that some kind person had developed,
    >> installed it and voila! the scanner was there. Another obstruction to
    >> moving full time to Linux gone.

    > I won't be moving to Linux full time, nor do I want to.

    Well thanks for that comment.

    In which case, why on earth are you here?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  15. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    In <5pej6iFqhqfoU1@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > In which case, why on earth are you here?

    Like Chrissie, it's totally MISSION CRITICAL, you see...

    (As in: a CRITICAL MISSION of wintards is FUD and pointless whining)

  16. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > John Adams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Alang wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know the answer to your last query but I have an AS6E scanner
    >>> that has never been seen by any distro I've tried in the last 10
    >>> years. This year I found a driver that some kind person had developed,
    >>> installed it and voila! the scanner was there. Another obstruction to
    >>> moving full time to Linux gone.

    >> I won't be moving to Linux full time, nor do I want to.

    > Well thanks for that comment.
    >
    > In which case, why on earth are you here?

    Stupid question moog.

    There are many reasons people dabble with non-microSoft operating systems.
    I do it because Linux is often more robust than Windows.
    And also as I see it as a challenge, a hobby.
    But not because I hate MS, I don't like the lack of ethic that company
    continues to show but their stuff IS very useful for large swaths of
    computer users.
    It's just that I like to be in control of what my computer is doing
    instead of following the dark and misty path MS forces it's users along.

  17. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In <5pej6iFqhqfoU1@mid.individual.net> Moog:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> In which case, why on earth are you here?

    > Like Chrissie, it's totally MISSION CRITICAL, you see...
    >
    > (As in: a CRITICAL MISSION of wintards is FUD and pointless whining)

    CG is getting some stick lately, I see.

    What goes around comes around.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Dirk T. Verbeek illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> John Adams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I won't be moving to Linux full time, nor do I want to.

    >> Well thanks for that comment.
    >>
    >> In which case, why on earth are you here?
    >>

    > Stupid question moog.

    Not really Dirk, if you consider Mr. Adams posting history in here. He
    has very little to say in here, but just seems to want to knock the OS
    that this group was created for.

    > There are many reasons people dabble with non-microSoft operating systems.
    > I do it because Linux is often more robust than Windows.

    Me too.

    > And also as I see it as a challenge, a hobby.

    Yup. I tick that box too.

    > But not because I hate MS, I don't like the lack of ethic that company
    > continues to show but their stuff IS very useful for large swaths of
    > computer users.

    I'm ticking another box here too.

    > It's just that I like to be in control of what my computer is doing
    > instead of following the dark and misty path MS forces it's users along.

    I'm nearly out of ink due to box-ticking.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Alang wrote:

    > I only use Windows at home because I'm employed to look after windows
    > systems. W2000 is the last windows system I'll have on any of my
    > drives. I'll be retiring sometime in the next year and after that
    > microsoft can take a running jump

    I have over 80 games installed on my XP box so I won't be dumping XP
    anytime soon. I also have about 20 games on a Win98 box, a few on my
    Win2K box and even a couple on Vista. On Linux I have one game that I
    consider worth playing, NeverWinter Nights. If you are not a gamer then
    saying you don't need Windows is easy but I am and I like choice too.

  20. Re: New scanner not seen by Ubuntu

    Moog wrote:

    > Well thanks for that comment.
    >
    > In which case, why on earth are you here?

    Because I am also running Ubuntu? Duh!