Need a replacement for Quickbooks - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need a replacement for Quickbooks - Ubuntu ; I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux- replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a Quickbooks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.

    Does such a package exist in the Linux world?

    Thanks for your help!

  2. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Phil Buchman (Phil Buchman ) gurgled happily,
    sounding much like they were saying:

    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a
    > Linux- replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?

    Don't think it's going to happen... Unfortunately.

    I'm using QB in a WinXP virtual machine - Innotek VirtualBox, rather than
    vmWare or any of the other big names. Works well, and hammers the host
    box less.

  3. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Phil Buchman wrote:
    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    > replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?

    My understanding is that you're not the only one.

    The problem is with the Quickbooks files. They're proprietary,
    closed-source, and Windows-only, and haven't (yet) been
    hacked/cracked/reverse-engineered. Others will no doubt have much more
    specific knowledge than me, but all my reading tells that this is one of
    the most significant roadblocks to wider adoption of Linux in the SOHO
    market.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:13:23 -0600, Phil Buchman wrote:

    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a
    > Linux- replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    There is no Linux equivalent of Quickbooks. I use VMware to run Win2K on
    top of Fedora and I run Quickbooks in that.

  5. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On 04 Nov 2007 21:48:54 GMT, Adrian wrote:

    >I'm using QB in a WinXP virtual machine - Innotek VirtualBox, rather than
    >vmWare or any of the other big names. Works well, and hammers the host
    >box less.

    Hey thanks. I was unaware of this one. Extremely cool.

  6. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    > Phil Buchman wrote:
    >> I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    >> specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    >> replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    >> Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    >> data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    >> bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >>
    >> Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!

    I went trough that long search and it is a big pain to setup a set books
    and then find out you are wasting time on a loser.

    So keep one old laptop set up on W2K and Peachtree, and my pet laptop
    running Ubuntu.

    That way when bad storms are near by, or when something else of interest
    is going on, I can watch the outside world on my favorite while I am
    using PeachTree.

    Works much better for me and two laptops fit in the briefcase.

    CSSJR

    --
    If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom

  7. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:13:23 -0600, Phil Buchman wrote:

    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    > replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    Can you export the data into some other format, maybe text?

  8. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Phil Buchman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    > replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    I've not really done a full test of it yet, but the following software
    looks more than promising....Specifically for UK use though, although
    it may be worth checking if they do any international versions.

    In the price, you get free lifetime support and they may well be able to
    convert from quickbooks to accountz format for you.

    Ask before you buy.

    http://www.accountz.com

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:56:22 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Phil Buchman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    >> specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a
    >> Linux- replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from
    >> a Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current
    >> Quickbooks data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply
    >> continue the bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >>
    >> Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!

    > I've not really done a full test of it yet, but the following software
    > looks more than promising....Specifically for UK use though, although it
    > may be worth checking if they do any international versions.
    >
    > In the price, you get free lifetime support and they may well be able to
    > convert from quickbooks to accountz format for you.
    >
    > Ask before you buy.
    >
    > http://www.accountz.com

    *perk*. Looks useful. Bookmarked for further research.

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

  10. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Phil Buchman wrote:
    > I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    > replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    GnuCash says it will import OFX/QFX and QIF files. Not aure if this is
    any use to you.

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    Running Linux Suse 10.1 in deepest Dorset

  11. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    My thanks to everyone who responded!

    I am currently evaluating GNUcash as a possible alternative in Linux
    for Quickbooks.

    It's a bummer that no other program will open or import Quickbooks
    backup files.

    Thanks again!

  12. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Hugh Newbury wrote:
    > Phil Buchman wrote:
    >> I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    >> specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    >> replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    >> Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    >> data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    >> bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >>
    >> Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!

    > GnuCash says it will import OFX/QFX and QIF files. Not aure if this is
    > any use to you.
    >
    > Hugh

    Isn't Gnu cash more like Quicken than Quickbooks?
    caver1

  13. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:58:05 -0700, Phil Buchman wrote:

    > My thanks to everyone who responded!
    >
    > I am currently evaluating GNUcash as a possible alternative in Linux for
    > Quickbooks.
    >
    > It's a bummer that no other program will open or import Quickbooks
    > backup files.
    >
    > Thanks again!

    Forget about it, once you are in Quickbooks its nearly impossible to move
    to anything else. The export from Quickbooks leaves lots of things out.
    I've been using Quickbooks for 15 years so I'm stuck, I run it in VMware
    and I grit my teeth and pay the subscription fees. For someone who is
    just starting a business I'd recommend that you look at alternatives but
    it you have been using it for a while there are no good options for
    switching to anything else.

  14. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:58:05 -0700, Phil Buchman wrote:
    >
    >> My thanks to everyone who responded!
    >>
    >> I am currently evaluating GNUcash as a possible alternative in Linux for
    >> Quickbooks.
    >>
    >> It's a bummer that no other program will open or import Quickbooks
    >> backup files.
    >>
    >> Thanks again!

    > Forget about it, once you are in Quickbooks its nearly impossible to move
    > to anything else. The export from Quickbooks leaves lots of things out.
    > I've been using Quickbooks for 15 years so I'm stuck, I run it in VMware
    > and I grit my teeth and pay the subscription fees. For someone who is
    > just starting a business I'd recommend that you look at alternatives but
    > it you have been using it for a while there are no good options for
    > switching to anything else.

    Why? It's just a ****ing accounting program isn't it? To use another
    accounting program, simply setup the new one with the debit and credit
    accounts you need and their balances in the general ledger and go on from
    there. This type of thing is done all the time. Surely a business isn't
    going to be wed to a particular accounting package for all time. One could
    do the above at anytime, but probably it would be adviseable to do it at
    year end.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  15. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:10:35 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:58:05 -0700, Phil Buchman wrote:
    >>
    >>> My thanks to everyone who responded!
    >>>
    >>> I am currently evaluating GNUcash as a possible alternative in Linux
    >>> for Quickbooks.
    >>>
    >>> It's a bummer that no other program will open or import Quickbooks
    >>> backup files.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again!

    >> Forget about it, once you are in Quickbooks its nearly impossible to
    >> move to anything else. The export from Quickbooks leaves lots of things
    >> out. I've been using Quickbooks for 15 years so I'm stuck, I run it in
    >> VMware and I grit my teeth and pay the subscription fees. For someone
    >> who is just starting a business I'd recommend that you look at
    >> alternatives but it you have been using it for a while there are no
    >> good options for switching to anything else.

    > Why? It's just a ****ing accounting program isn't it? To use another
    > accounting program, simply setup the new one with the debit and credit
    > accounts you need and their balances in the general ledger and go on
    > from there. This type of thing is done all the time. Surely a business
    > isn't going to be wed to a particular accounting package for all time.
    > One could do the above at anytime, but probably it would be adviseable
    > to do it at year end.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Every transaction for the last 12 years has been categorized, those
    categories don't get exported. If I were to move to something else then I
    would lose the entire history of my business. Even if I moved to
    something else it would have to be a commercial program like Peachtree
    which is also on Windows. Gnucash doesn't know anything about payroll
    taxes.

  16. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:10:35 +0000, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >>> Forget about it, once you are in Quickbooks its nearly impossible to
    >>> move to anything else. The export from Quickbooks leaves lots of things
    >>> out. I've been using Quickbooks for 15 years so I'm stuck, I run it in
    >>> VMware and I grit my teeth and pay the subscription fees. For someone
    >>> who is just starting a business I'd recommend that you look at
    >>> alternatives but it you have been using it for a while there are no
    >>> good options for switching to anything else.

    >> Why? It's just a ****ing accounting program isn't it? To use another
    >> accounting program, simply setup the new one with the debit and credit
    >> accounts you need and their balances in the general ledger and go on
    >> from there. This type of thing is done all the time. Surely a business
    >> isn't going to be wed to a particular accounting package for all time.
    >> One could do the above at anytime, but probably it would be adviseable
    >> to do it at year end.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Every transaction for the last 12 years has been categorized, those
    > categories don't get exported. If I were to move to something else then I
    > would lose the entire history of my business.

    I don't know what you mean by "categorized", as this is not my understanding
    of accounting, nor the need for it? If I pay a telephone bill, I'd
    designate the expense to a telephone bill expense account. That would allow
    me to easily see how much I've paid on telephone at any given time. That's
    the way a double-entry accounting system works, as far as I'm familiar with
    accounting practises. If your software is doing something else when it
    is "categorized", I can't imagine what that would be.

    > Even if I moved to
    > something else it would have to be a commercial program like Peachtree
    > which is also on Windows. Gnucash doesn't know anything about payroll
    > taxes.

    Fair enough. I'm not familiar with what is out there in terms of Linux
    software to do something like payroll. It's been years since I've needed to
    do any bookkeeping, so haven't kept up with what's available today.

    Best of luck finding something that will work for you.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  17. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:06:03 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> Why? It's just a ****ing accounting program isn't it? To use another
    >>> accounting program, simply setup the new one with the debit and credit
    >>> accounts you need and their balances in the general ledger and go on
    >>> from there. This type of thing is done all the time. Surely a business
    >>> isn't going to be wed to a particular accounting package for all time.
    >>> One could do the above at anytime, but probably it would be adviseable
    >>> to do it at year end.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> Every transaction for the last 12 years has been categorized, those
    >> categories don't get exported. If I were to move to something else then
    >> I would lose the entire history of my business.

    > I don't know what you mean by "categorized", as this is not my
    > understanding of accounting, nor the need for it? If I pay a telephone
    > bill, I'd designate the expense to a telephone bill expense account.
    > That would allow me to easily see how much I've paid on telephone at any
    > given time. That's the way a double-entry accounting system works, as
    > far as I'm familiar with accounting practises. If your software is doing
    > something else when it is "categorized", I can't imagine what that would
    > be.
    >

    >> Even if I moved to
    >> something else it would have to be a commercial program like Peachtree
    >> which is also on Windows. Gnucash doesn't know anything about payroll
    >> taxes.

    > Fair enough. I'm not familiar with what is out there in terms of Linux
    > software to do something like payroll. It's been years since I've needed
    > to do any bookkeeping, so haven't kept up with what's available today.
    >
    > Best of luck finding something that will work for you.
    >
    > Cheers.

    As I said on my first response on this thread, the solution is VMware.
    There is never going to be open source accounting software because of the
    requirement that the tax tables be maintained for so many different
    places. There also isn't going to be a Linux port of Quickbooks because
    there is no market for Quickbooks on Linux, maybe a few hundred copies
    certainly no more that a few thousand. However virtualization is a great
    solution. I run a Win2K VM on top of Fedora. Win2K has the advantage of
    not having the Activation requirements of XP, it's also faster. As a
    Linux user I don't give a damn about any of the OS improvements that they
    made in XP, none of that matters to me. All I need is for Quickbooks to
    work, which it does. I'm also not interested in any of the fancier
    Windows networking features, all I care about is that the VM be able to
    see a SAMBA share, which works fine in 2K. However if you don't own a
    copy of 2K then XP works fine on VMware. Once you've built a VM you can
    copy it to as many systems as you want because a VMware machine looks the
    same to XP so the reactivation never gets triggered.

  18. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    NoStop writes:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> Why? It's just a ****ing accounting program isn't it? To use another
    >>> accounting program, simply setup the new one with the debit and credit
    >>> accounts you need and their balances in the general ledger and go on
    >>> from there. This type of thing is done all the time. Surely a business
    >>> isn't going to be wed to a particular accounting package for all time.
    >>> One could do the above at anytime, but probably it would be adviseable
    >>> to do it at year end.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> Every transaction for the last 12 years has been categorized, those
    >> categories don't get exported. If I were to move to something else then I
    >> would lose the entire history of my business.

    > I don't know what you mean by "categorized", as this is not my understanding
    > of accounting, nor the need for it? If I pay a telephone bill, I'd
    > designate the expense to a telephone bill expense account. That would allow
    > me to easily see how much I've paid on telephone at any given time. That's
    > the way a double-entry accounting system works, as far as I'm familiar with
    > accounting practises. If your software is doing something else when it
    > is "categorized", I can't imagine what that would be.

    Double entry book keeping is one tiny part of accounting. There are
    things categorised as overs/unders, follow throughs, yearly write offs
    etc etc etc. Your simplification of this shows you mistake your needs
    for that of a real business.

  19. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    Yep, I agree. I run W2K in vmplayer.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  20. Re: Need a replacement for Quickbooks

    There is none
    "Phil Buchman" wrote in message
    news:c4GdnXOV2ZJuqLPanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >I am trying to locate a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks, but I need a
    > specific feature that I can't seem to use Google to find. I need a Linux-
    > replacement for Quickbooks that will open and extract data from a
    > Quickbooks backup (.qbb) file. My idea is to load the current Quickbooks
    > data into a Linux-replacement for Quickbooks and simply continue the
    > bookkeeping without re-inputting prior data.
    >
    > Does such a package exist in the Linux world?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast