Re: KDE - Gnome - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: KDE - Gnome - Ubuntu ; I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, and gnome is the preference of my group and engineering. Of some of the Window users that have come over from the dark side, KDE is a preference for them ...

  1. Re: KDE - Gnome

    I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, and gnome is the
    preference of my group and engineering. Of some of the Window users that
    have come over from the dark side, KDE is a preference for them because
    it reminds them of what they use to have.

    Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    > Please explain the differences between the two.

  2. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    > I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, and gnome is the
    > preference of my group and engineering. Of some of the Window users that
    > have come over from the dark side, KDE is a preference for them because
    > it reminds them of what they use to have.

    This reminds me of something a friend (a developer of Edubuntu) said.
    "In Gnome there is a proper way of doing things. In KDE there are a
    dozen." To which I replied "So you don't like all that freedom". He
    grumbled at me for the rest of the night. ;-)

    I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.

    Frankly it's not a big bother either way. If it's my machine I'll
    install something like Kubuntu. If the machine belongs to someone else,
    I'll use what ever they give me.

    Later
    Mike

    > Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    >> Please explain the differences between the two.

  3. Re: KDE - Gnome

    I agree with you. Right now I am playing with gnome. I have a bunch of
    eye candy working with 7.10 and compiz. I'll use gnome until it bores
    me, then I'll more onto something different.

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    > Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    >> I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, and gnome is the
    >> preference of my group and engineering. Of some of the Window users
    >> that have come over from the dark side, KDE is a preference for them
    >> because it reminds them of what they use to have.

    > This reminds me of something a friend (a developer of Edubuntu)
    > said. "In Gnome there is a proper way of doing things. In KDE there are
    > a dozen." To which I replied "So you don't like all that freedom". He
    > grumbled at me for the rest of the night. ;-)
    >
    > I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.
    >
    > Frankly it's not a big bother either way. If it's my machine I'll
    > install something like Kubuntu. If the machine belongs to someone else,
    > I'll use what ever they give me.
    >
    > Later
    > Mike
    >

    >> Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    >>> Please explain the differences between the two.

  4. Re: KDE - Gnome

    In the words of Richie Cusack (William Hurt) "How do you **** that up?"

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  5. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:

    > I agree with you. Right now I am playing with gnome. I have a bunch of
    > eye candy working with 7.10 and compiz. I'll use gnome until it bores
    > me, then I'll more onto something different.

    While you are thinking about "more"ing over to something different, also
    consider posting to a Linux newsgroup properly. IE ... stop top
    posting. :-) That way, you won't be looked at as just another M$-locked
    Wintard.

    Thanks

    Cheers.

    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >> Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    >>> I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, and gnome is the
    >>> preference of my group and engineering. Of some of the Window users
    >>> that have come over from the dark side, KDE is a preference for them
    >>> because it reminds them of what they use to have.

    >> This reminds me of something a friend (a developer of Edubuntu)
    >> said. "In Gnome there is a proper way of doing things. In KDE there are
    >> a dozen." To which I replied "So you don't like all that freedom". He
    >> grumbled at me for the rest of the night. ;-)
    >>
    >> I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.
    >>
    >> Frankly it's not a big bother either way. If it's my machine I'll
    >> install something like Kubuntu. If the machine belongs to someone else,
    >> I'll use what ever they give me.
    >>
    >> Later
    >> Mike

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  6. Re: KDE - Gnome

    NoStop wrote:
    > Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    >
    >> I agree with you. Right now I am playing with gnome. I have a bunch of
    >> eye candy working with 7.10 and compiz. I'll use gnome until it bores
    >> me, then I'll more onto something different.
    >>

    > While you are thinking about "more"ing over to something different, also
    > consider posting to a Linux newsgroup properly. IE ... stop top
    > posting. :-) That way, you won't be looked at as just another M$-locked
    > Wintard.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    >> The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >>> This reminds me of something a friend (a developer of Edubuntu)
    >>> said. "In Gnome there is a proper way of doing things. In KDE there are
    >>> a dozen." To which I replied "So you don't like all that freedom". He
    >>> grumbled at me for the rest of the night. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.
    >>>
    >>> Frankly it's not a big bother either way. If it's my machine I'll
    >>> install something like Kubuntu. If the machine belongs to someone else,
    >>> I'll use what ever they give me.
    >>>
    >>> Later
    >>> Mike

    Thanks for your advice my very gay friend

  7. Re: KDE - Gnome

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 11:40:37 -0500, Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:

    > I work as QA engineer in a strictly Linux shop, ...

    A rare breed indeed!

    --
    Chris Game

    not tried it." -- Donald E. Knuth

  8. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:59:30 GMT
    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >
    >> I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.

    > In the words of Richie Cusack (William Hurt) "How do you **** that up?"

    I found (in the *Ubuntu world) if I install actual Ubuntu then the KDE
    libraries things are slow and sometimes annoying in KDE. If I install
    Kubuntu then the Gnome libraries then things are faster. When I was
    running Edgy (Ubuntu) I had to go into Gnome to connect through the
    connection manager before I logged out and went into KDE. Yeah, it is
    possible to mess up. Messing up big is harder.

    Later
    Mike

  9. Re: KDE - Gnome

    On 2007-11-04, Philip D. Czajkowski hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > I agree with you. Right now I am playing with gnome. I have a bunch of
    > eye candy working with 7.10 and compiz. I'll use gnome until it bores
    > me, then I'll more onto something different.

    I checked your newsreader, and no you're not using OE, so what prevents
    you from putting your answer below the previous text? The text your
    responding to?

    Dragomir Kollaric

    --
    I use Windows exclusively.......

    ......... to change the cartridge for my printer,
    as this is the ONLY job I'll trust it with, but nothing else.

  10. Re: KDE - Gnome

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:30:26 GMT
    The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    > > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:59:30 GMT
    > > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    > >
    > >> I also find KDE to be ever so slightly faster if installed properly.

    > > In the words of Richie Cusack (William Hurt) "How do you **** that up?"
    > >

    > I found (in the *Ubuntu world) if I install actual Ubuntu then the KDE
    > libraries things are slow and sometimes annoying in KDE. If I install
    > Kubuntu then the Gnome libraries then things are faster. When I was
    > running Edgy (Ubuntu) I had to go into Gnome to connect through the
    > connection manager before I logged out and went into KDE. Yeah, it is
    > possible to mess up. Messing up big is harder.

    I usually find KDE annoying, "properly installed" or not :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  11. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:30:26 GMT
    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >> > In the words of Richie Cusack (William Hurt) "How do you **** that up?"
    >> >

    >> I found (in the *Ubuntu world) if I install actual Ubuntu then the KDE
    >> libraries things are slow and sometimes annoying in KDE. If I install
    >> Kubuntu then the Gnome libraries then things are faster. When I was
    >> running Edgy (Ubuntu) I had to go into Gnome to connect through the
    >> connection manager before I logged out and went into KDE. Yeah, it is
    >> possible to mess up. Messing up big is harder.

    > I usually find KDE annoying, "properly installed" or not :-)

    Agreed. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  12. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:30:26 GMT
    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best wrote:

    >>> In the words of Richie Cusack (William Hurt) "How do you **** that up?"
    >>>

    >> I found (in the *Ubuntu world) if I install actual Ubuntu then the KDE
    >> libraries things are slow and sometimes annoying in KDE. If I install
    >> Kubuntu then the Gnome libraries then things are faster. When I was
    >> running Edgy (Ubuntu) I had to go into Gnome to connect through the
    >> connection manager before I logged out and went into KDE. Yeah, it is
    >> possible to mess up. Messing up big is harder.

    > I usually find KDE annoying, "properly installed" or not :-)

    I'm more of a text mode guy myself. Something I've gotten used to since
    my Apple// days. It's a speed and stability thing. Frankly something
    which puts me into a GUI without the option of going into text mode
    first is VERY annoying. 90% of what I do should be done in text mode
    anyway. In some cases a GUI is useful, but in most cases it just gets in
    the way. Even on my Mac I keep the terminal window handy.

    Later
    Mike

  13. Re: KDE - Gnome

    In The Wizard of Oz:

    [Snip...]

    > 90% of what I do should be done in text mode anyway

    FWIW...

    Of 12 apps displayed on my typical (twm) display only 4 aren't basically
    textmode: Firefox (for Gmail and secured online business), Kmail, Belkin
    UPS control monitor, and vanilla Xclock. The rest are textmode in xterms
    (including slrn, and at least one lynx session).

    The basis for this choice is my long years doing monitor and control for
    business functions over dialup links (pine for email, not kmail). You do
    this for a living more than a few days, and you become keenly interested
    in information efficiency, and annoyed with eyecandy generally.

    JMO; YMMV...

  14. Re: KDE - Gnome

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In The Wizard of Oz:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> 90% of what I do should be done in text mode anyway

    > FWIW...
    >
    > Of 12 apps displayed on my typical (twm) display only 4 aren't basically
    > textmode: Firefox (for Gmail and secured online business),

    Gmail can be moved over to Kmail (or pine) if you choose. You can use
    the pop feature. It's a real pain to find on the Gmail page, but it's
    within three clicks.

    > Kmail, Belkin
    > UPS control monitor, and vanilla Xclock. The rest are textmode in xterms
    > (including slrn, and at least one lynx session).

    I have to say I use Firefox and Open Office/Neo Office as well as Kmail
    and Thunderbird. It's tough to find substitutes for those programs. Nano
    just doesn't compare to Open Office/Neo Office. I'd be happy using a
    text mode bittorrent as well but it seems though the graphic front ends
    (eg. Ktorrent) are pretty good. The text mode Mplayer is very good,
    especially on low end machines. Without running a GUI the slower
    machines can play higher bitrate videos.

    > The basis for this choice is my long years doing monitor and control for
    > business functions over dialup links (pine for email, not kmail). You do
    > this for a living more than a few days, and you become keenly interested
    > in information efficiency, and annoyed with eyecandy generally.

    I approach this from the perspective of an Apple// user. I was trained
    to work on mainframes without a GUI as well. Your statement is
    absolutely true.

    > JMO; YMMV...

    Later
    Mike