Where or where is boot splash default art? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Where or where is boot splash default art? - Ubuntu ; Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up sequence but I can't find it anywhere. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

  2. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:45:25 -0700, Usenet Reader wrote:

    > Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    > boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    > want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    > sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    > all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    > hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    > packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    Run the app "gconf-editor". Go to Apps | gnome-session | options. You
    should be able to set it to whatever .png image you want it to be...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Never mind, on further review, that probably won't help you. Do some
    searches on the Ubuntu Forums, though, as I have seen that answered in
    the past. Generally, I prefer nosplash, so I can see what's happening,
    so I have never attacked the issue, though I am sure it exists here if I
    turned it on...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:38:23 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > Never mind, on further review, that probably won't help you. Do some
    > searches on the Ubuntu Forums, though, as I have seen that answered in
    > the past. Generally, I prefer nosplash, so I can see what's happening,
    > so I have never attacked the issue, though I am sure it exists here if I
    > turned it on...

    The splash image is in /boot/grub/menu.lst as it must be since the OS
    hasn't yet loaded while it's displaying. Once you see where it is you'll
    be able to set it to whatever you wish.

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

  5. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 06:59:49 +0000, frank wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:38:23 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> Never mind, on further review, that probably won't help you. Do some
    >> searches on the Ubuntu Forums, though, as I have seen that answered in
    >> the past. Generally, I prefer nosplash, so I can see what's happening,
    >> so I have never attacked the issue, though I am sure it exists here if
    >> I turned it on...

    > The splash image is in /boot/grub/menu.lst as it must be since the OS
    > hasn't yet loaded while it's displaying. Once you see where it is
    > you'll be able to set it to whatever you wish.
    >
    > Frank

    The OS load has already started by the time it is displayed. I just
    looked through menu.lst on my 2 machines here, and I see nothing relating
    to any splash images.

    Unless I am missing something... What is the line in menu.lst that you
    are saying is loading the splash image...?

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  6. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    > boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    > want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    > sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    > all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    > hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    > packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    The answer, I think, is in "update-alternatives".

    Try this....

    Open a tterminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal gnome of course)
    Then enter the followintg line..
    $ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

    This should give you a choice between the ubuntu theme and the kubuntu
    theme for usplash.

    Hopefully that works for you.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:45:25 -0700, Usenet Reader wrote:

    > Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    > boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    > want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    > sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    > all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    > hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    > packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/150930

    Not sure if this relates to your problem.

  8. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    wrote:

    >Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    >want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >/boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...n_the_computer

    Should be the same in any version.

  9. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader wrote:
    > Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    > boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    > want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    > sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    > all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    > hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    > packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    Hi,

    To be able to switch between gdm and kdm do this in a terminal window:

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm [press enter]

    And to get back your familiar bootup Ubuntu usplash image and login
    screen (rather than the blue Kubuntu ones), type this:

    sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so [press enter]

    Next you will get to answer a question regarding whether to use the
    Kubuntu, Ubuntu (or if you have it installed xubuntu) - desktop usplash
    imag. Select the number that you want and reboot.

  10. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Moog wrote:
    >> Open a tterminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal gnome of course)
    >> Then enter the followintg line..
    >> $ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
    >>
    >> This should give you a choice between the ubuntu theme and the kubuntu
    >> theme for usplash.

    I think that is the answer... (I can't check while online because I
    can't really switch to Ubuntu 7.10 until a fix is out for the
    OpenOffice.org 2.3 bug that stops my production systems cold - so I'm
    writing from openSUSE 10.1 which works differently).

    If fact, thanks to you all I have not only solved this problem (I think)
    but a few others too with some of the posted "incorrect" answers...

    Alfred's usplash bug report is probably why the LiveCD wouldn't install
    on one test system without removing "splash" from the boot line.

    Others have shown me a nice tool to change the splash screen (see above
    for the first such reference). I think I found the actual file, BTW,
    but didn't know there was an easy way to make the changes (I was about
    to use the ln -s command and then reconfigure dpkg).

    The image, apparently, is /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so which
    explains why it was so hard to find - it looks like a typical shared
    library - not any obvious kind of image file.

  11. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    EJ wrote:
    > Usenet Reader wrote:
    >> Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >> boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people.
    >> I want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >> sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >> all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >> hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >> packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    > Hi,
    >
    > To be able to switch between gdm and kdm do this in a terminal window:
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm [press enter]
    >
    > And to get back your familiar bootup Ubuntu usplash image and login
    > screen (rather than the blue Kubuntu ones), type this:
    >
    > sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so [press enter]
    >
    > Next you will get to answer a question regarding whether to use the
    > Kubuntu, Ubuntu (or if you have it installed xubuntu) - desktop usplash
    > imag. Select the number that you want and reboot.

    Thanks, so now I'm learning more about the Ubuntu way... I didn't think
    adding the kubuntu-desktop package actually switched to kdm or changed
    the gdm theme, but I'll check that now too when I'm back in the lab.
    Anyway, it's nice to learn all the tools (I'm an openSUSE convert that
    still loves KDE best but thinks Ubuntu is better implemented that
    Kubuntu - I just can't switch over from my older distro until a very
    problematic bug is fixed in OpenOffice.org 2.3).

  12. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader wrote:
    > Usenet Reader wrote:
    >> Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >> boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people.
    >> I want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >> sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >> all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >> hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >> packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    > Moog wrote:
    >>> Open a tterminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal gnome of course)
    >>> Then enter the followintg line..
    >>> $ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
    >>>
    >>> This should give you a choice between the ubuntu theme and the
    >>> kubuntu theme for usplash.

    > I think that is the answer... (I can't check while online because I
    > can't really switch to Ubuntu 7.10 until a fix is out for the
    > OpenOffice.org 2.3 bug that stops my production systems cold - so I'm
    > writing from openSUSE 10.1 which works differently).
    >
    > If fact, thanks to you all I have not only solved this problem (I think)
    > but a few others too with some of the posted "incorrect" answers...
    >
    > Alfred's usplash bug report is probably why the LiveCD wouldn't install
    > on one test system without removing "splash" from the boot line.
    >
    > Others have shown me a nice tool to change the splash screen (see above
    > for the first such reference). I think I found the actual file, BTW,
    > but didn't know there was an easy way to make the changes (I was about
    > to use the ln -s command and then reconfigure dpkg).
    >
    > The image, apparently, is /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so which
    > explains why it was so hard to find - it looks like a typical shared
    > library - not any obvious kind of image file.

    Hi,

    In case or if all the above doesn't do it for ya, you can go back to a
    pure gnome state via two different ways depending upon how you acquired
    KDE in the first place:

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

    Cheers.

  13. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:01:04 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 06:59:49 +0000, frank wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:38:23 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Never mind, on further review, that probably won't help you. Do some
    >>> searches on the Ubuntu Forums, though, as I have seen that answered in
    >>> the past. Generally, I prefer nosplash, so I can see what's
    >>> happening, so I have never attacked the issue, though I am sure it
    >>> exists here if I turned it on...

    >> The splash image is in /boot/grub/menu.lst as it must be since the OS
    >> hasn't yet loaded while it's displaying. Once you see where it is
    >> you'll be able to set it to whatever you wish.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > The OS load has already started by the time it is displayed. I just
    > looked through menu.lst on my 2 machines here, and I see nothing
    > relating to any splash images.
    >
    > Unless I am missing something... What is the line in menu.lst that you
    > are saying is loading the splash image...?

    Here's where I turned mine off (commented "#" out) so that I could
    monitor the bootup events. You must be talking about something else.
    Login screen?

    # splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    and again in the kernel line: splash=silent

    What I said was "OS hasn't yet loaded" and therefore the image wasn't
    being displayed by Linux or Ubuntu, so you needed to turn to GRUB for
    your answer.

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

  14. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Usenet Reader wrote:
    >> Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >> boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    >> want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >> sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >> all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >> hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >> packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    > Moog wrote:
    >>> Open a tterminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal gnome of course)
    >>> Then enter the followintg line..
    >>> $ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
    >>>
    >>> This should give you a choice between the ubuntu theme and the kubuntu
    >>> theme for usplash.

    > I think that is the answer... (I can't check while online because I
    > can't really switch to Ubuntu 7.10 until a fix is out for the
    > OpenOffice.org 2.3 bug that stops my production systems cold - so I'm
    > writing from openSUSE 10.1 which works differently).

    I'm running Ooo 2.3 here without any trace of a bug.

    What bug is it that you are referring to?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  15. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 03:03:23 +0000, frank wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:01:04 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> The splash image is in /boot/grub/menu.lst as it must be since the OS
    >>> hasn't yet loaded while it's displaying. Once you see where it is
    >>> you'll be able to set it to whatever you wish.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> The OS load has already started by the time it is displayed. I just
    >> looked through menu.lst on my 2 machines here, and I see nothing
    >> relating to any splash images.
    >>
    >> Unless I am missing something... What is the line in menu.lst that
    >> you are saying is loading the splash image...?

    > Here's where I turned mine off (commented "#" out) so that I could
    > monitor the bootup events. You must be talking about something else.
    > Login screen?
    >
    > # splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz and again in the kernel line:
    > splash=silent
    >
    > What I said was "OS hasn't yet loaded" and therefore the image wasn't
    > being displayed by Linux or Ubuntu, so you needed to turn to GRUB for
    > your answer.

    I believe the image referred to in splashimage is a grub splash image for
    the bootloader screen.

    splash=silent (I use nosplash usually) doesn't tell you what splash to
    use, just whether to display the splash or not.

    Joe

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  16. Re: Where or where is boot splash default art?

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:02:50 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >> boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people.
    >> I want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >> sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >> all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >> hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >> packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    > The answer, I think, is in "update-alternatives".
    >
    > Try this....
    >
    > Open a tterminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal gnome of course) Then
    > enter the followintg line..
    > $ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
    >
    > This should give you a choice between the ubuntu theme and the kubuntu
    > theme for usplash.
    >
    > Hopefully that works for you.

    Perfect. I know I have this in one of my notebooks... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: [OT OOo] Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Moog wrote:
    > Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Usenet Reader wrote:
    >>> Odd thing, after installing kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, it changed the
    >>> boot-up splash screen. I don't want that, it upsets/confuses people. I
    >>> want to put the original Ubuntu splash screen back for the boot-up
    >>> sequence but I can't find it anywhere. This is 7.10, and a search for
    >>> all xpm.gz files turned up nothing. No references in
    >>> /boot/grub/menu.lst or any of the start-up directories. Is there some
    >>> hard-coded default in usplash? I even looked in the grub and desktop
    >>> packages to try to find the mysterious file names. OK, is this magic?

    >> I think that is the answer... (I can't check while online because I
    >> can't really switch to Ubuntu 7.10 until a fix is out for the
    >> OpenOffice.org 2.3 bug that stops my production systems cold - so I'm
    >> writing from openSUSE 10.1 which works differently).

    > I'm running Ooo 2.3 here without any trace of a bug.
    >
    > What bug is it that you are referring to?

    It does run beautifully, unless you try to open some spreadsheets made
    with earlier versions. Nobody has found the bug yet, and I have only
    been able to reduce the offending example to a relatively small test
    case - but, certain important documents that began with early versions
    of OOo (maybe even StarOffice, it's been so long) and have been edited
    all the way through to the latest OOo 2.2.x versions, will crash OOo 2.3
    on attempting to open them.

    As I said, I have been able to reduce the offending spreadsheets
    (workbooks) to a single page, from which I attempt to delete all the
    data, but it still crashes OOo 2.3. Delete the page or the columns with
    data (instead of just deleting the data) and the problem is solved
    (along with volumes of some of my most important work and archives). I
    have to downgrade to OOo 2.2, and only 2.3 is available from Sun or
    Ubuntu 7.10.

  18. Re: [OT OOo] Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I think that is the answer... (I can't check while online because I
    >>> can't really switch to Ubuntu 7.10 until a fix is out for the
    >>> OpenOffice.org 2.3 bug that stops my production systems cold - so I'm
    >>> writing from openSUSE 10.1 which works differently).

    >> I'm running Ooo 2.3 here without any trace of a bug.
    >>
    >> What bug is it that you are referring to?
    >>

    > It does run beautifully, unless you try to open some spreadsheets made
    > with earlier versions. Nobody has found the bug yet, and I have only
    > been able to reduce the offending example to a relatively small test
    > case - but, certain important documents that began with early versions
    > of OOo (maybe even StarOffice, it's been so long) and have been edited
    > all the way through to the latest OOo 2.2.x versions, will crash OOo 2.3
    > on attempting to open them.
    >
    > As I said, I have been able to reduce the offending spreadsheets
    > (workbooks) to a single page, from which I attempt to delete all the
    > data, but it still crashes OOo 2.3. Delete the page or the columns with
    > data (instead of just deleting the data) and the problem is solved
    > (along with volumes of some of my most important work and archives). I
    > have to downgrade to OOo 2.2, and only 2.3 is available from Sun or
    > Ubuntu 7.10.

    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

    As a matter of interest, have you published it at launchpad?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: [OT OOo] Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Moog wrote:
    > Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I'm running Ooo 2.3 here without any trace of a bug.
    >>>
    >>> What bug is it that you are referring to?
    >>>

    >> It does run beautifully, unless you try to open some spreadsheets made
    >> with earlier versions. Nobody has found the bug yet, and I have only
    >> been able to reduce the offending example to a relatively small test
    >> case - but, certain important documents that began with early versions
    >> of OOo (maybe even StarOffice, it's been so long) and have been edited
    >> all the way through to the latest OOo 2.2.x versions, will crash OOo 2.3
    >> on attempting to open them.
    >>
    >> As I said, I have been able to reduce the offending spreadsheets
    >> (workbooks) to a single page, from which I attempt to delete all the
    >> data, but it still crashes OOo 2.3. Delete the page or the columns with
    >> data (instead of just deleting the data) and the problem is solved
    >> (along with volumes of some of my most important work and archives). I
    >> have to downgrade to OOo 2.2, and only 2.3 is available from Sun or
    >> Ubuntu 7.10.

    > Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.
    >
    > As a matter of interest, have you published it at launchpad?

    No, because it is an OpenOffice.org problem, not Ubuntu's.

  20. Re: [OT OOo] Where or where is boot splash default art?

    Usenet Reader illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    >> As a matter of interest, have you published it at launchpad?
    >>

    > No, because it is an OpenOffice.org problem, not Ubuntu's.

    And OOo will tell you that it's a Ubuntu problem not theirs. Ubuntu
    patches and compiles OOo for their repositories. It's not "vanilla".

    Anyway. Check out the launchpad bug entries if you don't believe me.
    http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+so...penoffice.org/

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."