Fun things to do with Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Fun things to do with Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Hey Ubuntu Group! I'm pretty new at being an Linux enthusiast, I started with Ubuntu 6.10. I used it as a file server and set up "Unattended Installation" scripts to set up Windows boxes, but that project doesn't seem to ...

  1. Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    Hey Ubuntu Group!

    I'm pretty new at being an Linux enthusiast, I started with Ubuntu 6.10.
    I used it as a file server and set up "Unattended Installation" scripts to
    set up Windows boxes, but that project doesn't seem to be very active.

    I was pretty excited to download and install 7.10 the other day, only to
    find multimedia playback still not really supported, not even for MP3's but
    I guess that is understandable in our propriatary world. I've found
    utilities like EasyUbuntu and Automatix work well to quickly get all the
    drivers and codecs installed properly. I still don't have any wireless
    support for my Dell D810, I don't think, but that's due to unenthusiastic
    hardware support.

    So my question is, is there anything really new and exciting in 7.10?
    I'm looking for fun things to do with Ubuntu, so I can show it off to my
    friends. I've tried setting up the Beryl Window Manager before, that's
    pretty impressive, but that I'm sure requires a pretty decent video card to
    work properly.

    I've experimented with USB-Bootable Linux before, has anyone tried this
    with 7.10? It sure would be nice to have NTFS support from a portable
    distro. I think I would need at least a 4GB stick to get a full install up
    and running, as a 4GB hdd is barely enough for an install.

    Is there any other really exciting projects going on in the Ubuntu world
    right now? Any other fun games or apps a guy can check out? I've been
    wanting to check out Edubuntu to see if there is anything really engaging in
    that package.

    Just starting to trigger some disscussion.

    Krog
    from Canada

  2. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    On 2007-11-01, Krog wrote:

    > Is there any other really exciting projects going on in the Ubuntu world
    > right now? Any other fun games or apps a guy can check out? I've been
    > wanting to check out Edubuntu to see if there is anything really engaging in
    > that package.

    It's not really new, but I'm constantly using (and enjoying)
    Stellarium. The latest version 0.9.0 is simply the best darned
    astronomy program available anywhere, IMO. Also, there are some
    really great first-person shooters ported now for Ubuntu: Alien
    Invasion, Nexuiz, Sauerbraten. And there are some equally engaging
    strategy games: Bos Wars, Vegastrike, etc.

    There's always something new coming along at http://www.getdeb.net/,
    where you can find all kinds of new applications and games.

    --
    Terry
    _______________

  3. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    Doc wrote:

    > On 2007-11-01, Krog wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there any other really exciting projects going on in the
    >> Ubuntu world
    >> right now? Any other fun games or apps a guy can check out? I've
    >> been wanting to check out Edubuntu to see if there is anything really
    >> engaging in that package.

    > It's not really new, but I'm constantly using (and enjoying)
    > Stellarium. The latest version 0.9.0 is simply the best darned
    > astronomy program available anywhere, IMO.

    Personally I like KStars.

  4. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:55:36 +0530, santosh wrote:

    >Personally I like KStars.

    So do I. A must-have. I'm not a serious observer, but I read once where if
    your telescope has a USB port, you can use KStars to position that telescope
    to see what you want to see. Pretty neat, I should think, to center on M13,
    and have your telescope automatically position M13 in the center of your
    field of view.

  5. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    George Peatty wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:55:36 +0530, santosh
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Personally I like KStars.

    > So do I. A must-have. I'm not a serious observer, but I read once
    > where if your telescope has a USB port, you can use KStars to
    > position that telescope to see what you want to see. Pretty neat, I
    > should think, to center on M13, and have your telescope automatically
    > position M13 in the center of your field of view.

    I like KStars as well.

    I think you need a serial port for such GOTO features you mention, or USB to
    serial adapter. I think KStars is using the INDI system for teĝlscope
    control http://edu.kde.org/kstars/indi.php

    Speaking of astronomy applications, I have participated in makong a webcam
    capture application that runs on Linux and supports modified webcams (so you
    can do long single exposures and capture M13 or dimmer objects)
    http://arnholm.org/astro/software/wxAstroCapture/

    Enabling Linux for astronomy is the ultimate fun thing to do with Ubuntu I
    think :-) Here is the recent bright comet 17P/holmes seen throu my app on
    Kubuntu
    http://www.arnholm.org/tmp/wx_comet2.jpg

    http://www.news.com/2300-11397_3-621...tag=ne.gall.pg

    --
    Carsten A. Arnholm
    http://arnholm.org/

  6. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    santosh wrote:

    > Doc wrote:
    >
    > > On 2007-11-01, Krog wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Is there any other really exciting projects going on in the
    > >> Ubuntu world
    > >> right now? Any other fun games or apps a guy can check out? I've
    > >> been wanting to check out Edubuntu to see if there is anything really
    > >> engaging in that package.

    > > It's not really new, but I'm constantly using (and enjoying)
    > > Stellarium. The latest version 0.9.0 is simply the best darned
    > > astronomy program available anywhere, IMO.

    > Personally I like KStars.

    I just caught a glimpse of 17P/Holmes before the clouds covered it up,
    in my front garden, didn't need a computer :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  7. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    On 2007-11-01, Krog wrote:

    [...]

    > So my question is, is there anything really new and exciting in 7.10?
    > I'm looking for fun things to do with Ubuntu, so I can show it off to my
    > friends. I've tried setting up the Beryl Window Manager before, that's
    > pretty impressive, but that I'm sure requires a pretty decent video card to
    > work properly.

    Well it is not a specifically ubuntu thing but did you know that with
    mplayer you can output your home-made videos as multiple still images
    in jpg, gif or png format?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  8. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    In article <1MudnZzhXeJkzLfaRVnzvQA@telenor.com>, Carsten A. Arnholm says...

    >Speaking of astronomy applications, I have participated in makong a webcam
    >capture application that runs on Linux and supports modified webcams (so you
    >can do long single exposures and capture M13 or dimmer objects)
    >http://arnholm.org/astro/software/wxAstroCapture/

    This looks like a must have for anyone interested in doing serious amateur
    observational astronomy ..

  9. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:23:33 +0100, Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:

    >> So do I. A must-have. I'm not a serious observer, but I read
    >> once where if your telescope has a USB port, you can use KStars
    >> to position that telescope to see what you want to see. Pretty
    >> neat, I should think, to center on M13, and have your telescope
    >> automatically position M13 in the center of your field of view.

    > I like KStars as well.

    What about this Google Sky app or whatever it's called?

    --
    Chris Game

    "I've always found [Peter] an excellent source of advice, a guiding
    light for the lost, lonely and terminally stupid." T Mighty Lemon

  10. Re: Fun things to do with Ubuntu

    George Peatty wrote:

    > In article <1MudnZzhXeJkzLfaRVnzvQA@telenor.com>, Carsten A. Arnholm
    > says...
    >
    >>Speaking of astronomy applications, I have participated in makong a webcam
    >>capture application that runs on Linux and supports modified webcams (so
    >>you can do long single exposures and capture M13 or dimmer objects)
    >>http://arnholm.org/astro/software/wxAstroCapture/

    > This looks like a must have for anyone interested in doing serious amateur
    > observational astronomy ..

    Take a look at

    Skychart
    KStars
    Xephem
    celestia

    also
    --
    FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing. Details at ... uh, when
    the little hand is on the ....

+ Reply to Thread