Samba and XP - my homes directory comes up twice - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Samba and XP - my homes directory comes up twice - Ubuntu ; I'm sharing my ~/username directory to XP with a simple smb.conf in samba: $ less smb.conf [homes] comment = Home Directories browseable = yes writable = yes When I browse to this directory in my network neighbourhood in XP I ...

  1. Samba and XP - my homes directory comes up twice

    I'm sharing my ~/username directory to XP with a simple smb.conf in samba:

    $ less smb.conf
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes

    When I browse to this directory in my network neighbourhood in XP I can see
    the shared folder listed twice, once as "homes" and once as my username.

    homes
    username

    Why is this?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Samba and XP - my homes directory comes up twice

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > I'm sharing my ~/username directory to XP with a simple smb.conf in samba:
    >
    > $ less smb.conf
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes

    This is a bad idea. SAMBA by default creates home shares for its users
    (as you have already noticed), which are usually not visible by others.
    You should see something similar to this:

    [homes]
    comment = Home
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    Remove the other entries!
    > When I browse to this directory in my network neighbourhood in XP I cansee
    > the shared folder listed twice, once as "homes" and once as my username.
    >
    > homes
    > username
    >
    > Why is this?

+ Reply to Thread