7.10 Printer Lost - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7.10 Printer Lost - Ubuntu ; After up-grading from 7.04 to 7.10, am not able to get my HP Deskjet 712c printer to work. What do I need to do to get it working again?...

  1. 7.10 Printer Lost

    After up-grading from 7.04 to 7.10, am not able to get my HP Deskjet
    712c printer to work. What do I need to do to get it working again?

  2. Re: 7.10 Printer Lost

    Go to "GutsyGibbon/ReleaseNotes - Ubuntu Wiki" and chase down bug #155530.
    Unfortunately I've mislaid the url here but you should be able to call it up
    with Google. This will tell you why your printer will not work with Ubuntu
    7.10 and give you a workaround.

    Briefly what happened is this ....Ubuntu 7.10 introduced an additional
    security layer called "AppArmor", whose support for CUPS printing is not yet
    complete. This results in printing failure in some HP printers ... your HP
    deskjet 712C is on the list as is my HP deskjetc 820c. To get your printer
    working you have to disable the "AppArmor" feature (?) by running
    "sudo aa-complain cupsd". My HP deskjet 820c came to life as soon as
    "AppArmor" was disable. You'll find more reading on this when you chase
    down bug #155530'

    Good Luck .....RBroz

  3. Re: 7.10 Printer Lost

    My thanks to all who replied to my posting about this problem. Issuing
    the command sudo aa-complain cupsd has enabled the printer to work fine.
    Since the AppArmor is a security layer, wondering if there is any harm
    in leaving it in complain mode for CUP will become a security problem.
    I take it that this only affects CUP and not any other applications. At
    some point I would guess that an up-date to Gutsy will fix the problem.

    rxb wrote:
    > Go to "GutsyGibbon/ReleaseNotes - Ubuntu Wiki" and chase down bug #155530.
    > Unfortunately I've mislaid the url here but you should be able to call it up
    > with Google. This will tell you why your printer will not work with Ubuntu
    > 7.10 and give you a workaround.
    >
    > Briefly what happened is this ....Ubuntu 7.10 introduced an additional
    > security layer called "AppArmor", whose support for CUPS printing is not yet
    > complete. This results in printing failure in some HP printers ... your HP
    > deskjet 712C is on the list as is my HP deskjetc 820c. To get your printer
    > working you have to disable the "AppArmor" feature (?) by running
    > "sudo aa-complain cupsd". My HP deskjet 820c came to life as soon as
    > "AppArmor" was disable. You'll find more reading on this when you chase
    > down bug #155530'
    >
    > Good Luck .....RBroz

+ Reply to Thread