Emacs - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Emacs - Ubuntu ; I downloaded Emacs using Synaptic and it added two entries to my Applications | Accessories menu: Emacs 22 (client) and Emacs 22 (GTK). What is Emacs 22 (client)? I doesn't seem to do anything. Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, ...

  1. Emacs

    I downloaded Emacs using Synaptic and it added two entries to my
    Applications | Accessories menu: Emacs 22 (client) and Emacs 22 (GTK).

    What is Emacs 22 (client)? I doesn't seem to do anything.

    Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, but what is GTK? Does it have something
    to do with Gnome?

    Dean

  2. Re: Emacs

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:46:13 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > I downloaded Emacs using Synaptic and it added two entries to my
    > Applications | Accessories menu: Emacs 22 (client) and Emacs 22 (GTK).
    >
    > What is Emacs 22 (client)? I doesn't seem to do anything.
    >
    > Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, but what is GTK? Does it have something
    > to do with Gnome?
    >
    > Dean

    For me, emacs is indispensable. It's the first program I install on any
    Linux machine I have access to. It's basically a text editor. It was
    designed to run in the console, but if you have the GUI running the GTK,
    or windowed version, works great too. Basically, from the command line
    you can type this:

    emacs -nw text.file

    (The -nw means no window)
    That will open a file up in the terminal for editing. Read the tutorial
    and learn all the keyboard shortcuts. That way, if your X server crashes
    or you are using ssh over a slow connection, you can always edit text
    files without hassle.

    Josh Beck

  3. Re: Emacs

    On 2007-10-30, webmaster wrote:

    [...]

    > For me, emacs is indispensable. It's the first program I install on any
    > Linux machine I have access to. It's basically a text editor. It was
    > designed to run in the console, but if you have the GUI running the GTK,
    > or windowed version, works great too.

    Only time I looked at emacs was for a test run of gnus, for which I
    printed off the multi-hundred page manual. But I notice that you don't
    use gnus?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  4. Re: Emacs

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:46:13 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, but what is GTK?

    GTK = GIMP tool kit (a set of widgets for graphic environments)
    GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Project
    GNU = (The basis for the Linux operating systems, GNU is a recursive
    acronym that stands for "GNU's Not Unix")

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    --
    Chris Game

    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it,
    and I don't know why I'll do it again." -- Bart Simpson

  5. Re: Emacs

    webmaster wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:46:13 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded Emacs using Synaptic and it added two entries to my
    >> Applications | Accessories menu: Emacs 22 (client) and Emacs 22 (GTK).
    >>
    >> What is Emacs 22 (client)? I doesn't seem to do anything.
    >>
    >> Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, but what is GTK? Does it have something
    >> to do with Gnome?
    >>
    >> Dean

    > For me, emacs is indispensable. It's the first program I install on any
    > Linux machine I have access to. It's basically a text editor. It was
    > designed to run in the console, but if you have the GUI running the GTK,
    > or windowed version, works great too. Basically, from the command line
    > you can type this:
    >
    > emacs -nw text.file
    >
    > (The -nw means no window)
    > That will open a file up in the terminal for editing. Read the tutorial
    > and learn all the keyboard shortcuts. That way, if your X server crashes
    > or you are using ssh over a slow connection, you can always edit text
    > files without hassle.
    >
    > Josh Beck

    Thanks. I agree that Emacs is indispensable. I've been using Emacs
    since before MS Windows and X11 were invented. I used it primarily as a
    Unix software development platform (it's great for that), but also for
    reading news (gnus), reading email (Rmail), and running shell commands
    (in a shell buffer). Now I use it mostly as a powerful text editor.

    I was wondering mostly what the emacs client was since it didn't seem to
    do anything. I just found a man page on emacsclient which explains it.

    Dean

  6. Re: Emacs

    Chris Game wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:46:13 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> Emacs 22 (GTK) brings up Emacs, but what is GTK?

    > GTK = GIMP tool kit (a set of widgets for graphic environments)
    > GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Project
    > GNU = (The basis for the Linux operating systems, GNU is a recursive
    > acronym that stands for "GNU's Not Unix")
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Thanks. I should have thought of using Google or Wikipedia.

    Dean

  7. Re: Emacs

    Dean DeBruin writes:

    > Thanks. I agree that Emacs is indispensable. I've been using Emacs
    > since before MS Windows and X11 were invented. I used it primarily as
    > a Unix software development platform (it's great for that), but also
    > for reading news (gnus), reading email (Rmail), and running shell

    If you have gone to the effort of learning Gnus, then consider using it
    as a mail client too. It is without peer.

    http://www.osreviews.net/reviews/comm/gnus

    I use a leafnode/getmail/procmail/imap/nntp combination and it's
    perfect.

+ Reply to Thread