No Network Connection - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on No Network Connection - Ubuntu ; In a clean install of Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 (Gnome), when I boot up and first login, the network icon in the upper right panel shows "No Network Connection." When I click on it it shows two options: 1) A ...

  1. No Network Connection

    In a clean install of Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 (Gnome), when I boot up
    and first login, the network icon in the upper right panel shows "No
    Network Connection." When I click on it it shows two options: 1) A
    radio button for "Wired Network" and 2) "Manual Configuration..." If I
    select Wired Network, it connects and all is well until the next time I
    reboot and first login.

    How do I make "Wired Network" permanent?

    Dean

  2. Re: No Network Connection

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:17:58 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > In a clean install of Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 (Gnome), when I boot up
    > and first login, the network icon in the upper right panel shows "No
    > Network Connection." When I click on it it shows two options: 1) A
    > radio button for "Wired Network" and 2) "Manual Configuration..." If I
    > select Wired Network, it connects and all is well until the next time I
    > reboot and first login.
    >
    > How do I make "Wired Network" permanent?
    >
    > Dean

    Do a google for ifconfig
    You can manually set your network properties using this command.
    I have my network settings written into rc.local.

    # Begin rc.local

    ifconfig eth0 192.168.12.1 up
    route add default gw 192.168.12.10

    Of course, your ip addresses will be different if you are assigning them
    statically. (You also want to pay attention to /etc/resolv.conf. This file
    contains your nameserver info.)

    Josh Beck

  3. Re: No Network Connection

    webmaster wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:17:58 -0700, Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> In a clean install of Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 (Gnome), when I boot up
    >> and first login, the network icon in the upper right panel shows "No
    >> Network Connection." When I click on it it shows two options: 1) A
    >> radio button for "Wired Network" and 2) "Manual Configuration..." If I
    >> select Wired Network, it connects and all is well until the next time I
    >> reboot and first login.
    >>
    >> How do I make "Wired Network" permanent?
    >>
    >> Dean

    > Do a google for ifconfig
    > You can manually set your network properties using this command.
    > I have my network settings written into rc.local.
    >
    > # Begin rc.local
    >
    > ifconfig eth0 192.168.12.1 up
    > route add default gw 192.168.12.10
    >
    > Of course, your ip addresses will be different if you are assigning them
    > statically. (You also want to pay attention to /etc/resolv.conf. This file
    > contains your nameserver info.)
    >
    > Josh Beck

    Thanks, but I was hoping for a simple fix.

    Dean

+ Reply to Thread