Kubuntu 7.10 needs better Nvidia & better Broadcom support. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu 7.10 needs better Nvidia & better Broadcom support. - Ubuntu ; Hello: I have been a Linux user for about 110 years. Now I am trying to use (K)Ubuntu 7.10 that I have never used. I have been running in serious trouble trying to setup the Nvidia driver, as well as ...

  1. Kubuntu 7.10 needs better Nvidia & better Broadcom support.

    Hello:
    I have been a Linux user for about 110 years.
    Now I am trying to use (K)Ubuntu 7.10 that I have never used.

    I have been running in serious trouble trying to setup the Nvidia
    driver, as well as the NDISWRAPPER driver for the Broadcom chip.

    I have tried many things from the net (including Envy, etc..)... with
    limited success so far.
    Actually there is too much documentation, most of it does not lead to a
    sucessfull install.

    It is a shame that installing the very popular Nvidia, is so difficult
    with Ubuntu (it is not even detected properly!).
    This problem has been resolved Ok to well on other distros.
    Why not on Ubuntu, which get such high marks for ease of use?
    But I may have missed something...

    ABC

  2. Re: Kubuntu 7.10 needs better Nvidia & better Broadcom support.

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:52:40 -0700, Abbe Sait wrote:

    > It is a shame that installing the very popular Nvidia, is so difficult
    > with Ubuntu (it is not even detected properly!).

    Installing nVidia drivers is v.v.v.easy
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

  3. Re: Kubuntu 7.10 needs better Nvidia & better Broadcom support.

    Abbe Sait wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I have been a Linux user for about 110 years.
    > Now I am trying to use (K)Ubuntu 7.10 that I have never used.
    >
    > I have been running in serious trouble trying to setup the Nvidia
    > driver, as well as the NDISWRAPPER driver for the Broadcom chip.
    >
    > I have tried many things from the net (including Envy, etc..)... with
    > limited success so far.
    > Actually there is too much documentation, most of it does not lead to a
    > sucessfull install.
    >
    > It is a shame that installing the very popular Nvidia, is so difficult
    > with Ubuntu (it is not even detected properly!).
    > This problem has been resolved Ok to well on other distros.
    > Why not on Ubuntu, which get such high marks for ease of use?
    > But I may have missed something...
    >
    > ABC

    Hi Abbe, I've had a fair bit of trouble installing nVidia drivers for a
    3 year old graphics card, I had partial success following the nVidia
    website instructions for a manual installation during the tribe 3
    release. I then moved to the latest 7.10 release,including the
    subsequent updates and lo and behold I read a note about using 'Envy'.
    It did a fantastic job installing the manufacturers drivers, building
    the kernel and doing all the necessary settings, all in a couple of
    minutes. I ended up with most of the 'Desktop effects'. On my laptop,
    so many distos would not run as 'live CD' including Xbuntu 7.04. I have
    today downloaded the new 7.10 and it got the whole job set up in minutes
    including the wifi connection. A superb job, congratulations deserved
    to the distro builders.
    Regards,
    Cushie
    Linux user 451873.