Ubuntu sites not opening - update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu sites not opening - update - Ubuntu ; I have discovered a very disturbing thing. If I shut DOWN my firewall all but one of the sites I listed (doc.gwos.org) WILL open normally. A few weeks ago I discovered that Synaptic Package Manager exibited the same behavior. :-() ...

  1. Ubuntu sites not opening - update

    I have discovered a very disturbing thing. If I shut DOWN my firewall
    all but one of the sites I listed (doc.gwos.org) WILL open normally.

    A few weeks ago I discovered that Synaptic Package Manager exibited the
    same behavior. :-()

    Not the solution I'm looking for AT ALL!!!!

    SEB

  2. Re: Ubuntu sites not opening - update

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:44:01 +0000, Steve Baker wrote:

    > one of the sites I listed (doc.gwos.org) WILL open normally.
    >
    > A few weeks ago I discovered that Synaptic Package Manager exibited the
    > same behavior. :-()
    >
    > Not the solution I'm looking for AT ALL!!!!
    >
    > SEB

    Tried changing your router or using different DNS servers?

  3. Re: Ubuntu sites not opening - update

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:06:09 +0000, brummie wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:44:01 +0000, Steve Baker wrote:
    >
    >> one of the sites I listed (doc.gwos.org) WILL open normally.
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago I discovered that Synaptic Package Manager exibited the
    >> same behavior. :-()
    >>
    >> Not the solution I'm looking for AT ALL!!!!
    >>
    >> SEB

    > Tried changing your router or using different DNS servers?

    Good point. I use Charter Pipeline in the US and it is kinda flaky at
    times. I had a DNS problem and use OpenDNS now and it seems to have fixed
    the problem I was having, which was similar to the complaint Steve had.
    Do a Google on it if you like. It's free and will often correct mistyped
    URLs and direct you to the proper website.

  4. Re: Ubuntu sites not opening - update

    brummie wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:44:01 +0000, Steve Baker wrote:
    >
    >> one of the sites I listed (doc.gwos.org) WILL open normally.
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago I discovered that Synaptic Package Manager exibited the
    >> same behavior. :-()
    >>
    >> Not the solution I'm looking for AT ALL!!!!
    >>
    >> SEB

    > Tried changing your router or using different DNS servers?

    OK, I tried that - no joy. I note with some interest that the only
    sites that seem to be blocked are Ubuntu and related sites.

+ Reply to Thread