Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy - Ubuntu ; Hello, A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several things that are broken, which previously worked: 1. skype no longer works 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing) 3. screen ...

  1. Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    Hello,

    A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    things that are broken, which previously worked:

    1. skype no longer works

    2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)

    3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    minutes)

    4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    does)

    5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    utilization

    All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    release.

    * sigh * (a tired Linux user)

    Chris

  2. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    Chris writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    > things that are broken, which previously worked:
    >
    > 1. skype no longer works
    >
    > 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)
    >
    > 3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    > minutes)
    >
    > 4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    > does)
    >
    > 5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    > utilization
    >
    > All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    > all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    > to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    > release.
    >
    > * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >
    > Chris

    I really dont recommend "updating". I'm pretty sure that an update in
    conjunction with Amarok hosed my last Ubuntu system. Always keep /home
    on a seperate partition and reinstall when these issues occur otherwise
    you will be fannying around for ages.

    --
    Sobre toda cosa guardada guarda tu corazón, porque de él emana la vida.
    -- Salomón.

  3. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    On Monday 29 Oct 2007 15:04 Chris licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Hello,

    snip

    > All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    > all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    > to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    > release.
    >
    > * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >
    > Chris

    On the bright side, you could have been using XP and just shelled out
    mega-bucks "upgrading" to Vista to find that much of your hardware and
    software no longer works.

    I'm sticking with 7.04 for now, I haven't heard of enough benefits in
    upgrading to make we want to have the (potential) hassle. Feisty is running
    lovely for me - the only hassle I had was on the laptop: Edgy Wireless
    worked with a bit of tinkering to get WPA working so I thought I would do a
    clean install of the Feisty with its new improved wireless support, only to
    find that the chipset of my D-link card was no longer supported and would
    not work at all.

    On my main PC, and my wife's and my daughter's nothing is broken in Feisty
    so I see no need to fix it.

    Out of interest, Windows users often wait for SP1 on a new version before
    committing, is there a rule of thumb when to upgrade #buntu? I suppose MS
    are so tardy with fixing their lashup of an OS we could run a full release
    behind and still be ahead so to speak.

    I might try 7.10 on the laptop and see if my w/less works again on this
    release.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  4. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    > things that are broken, which previously worked:
    >
    > 1. skype no longer works
    >
    > 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)
    >
    > 3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    > minutes)
    >
    > 4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    > does)
    >
    > 5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    > utilization
    >
    > All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    > all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    > to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    > release.
    >
    > * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >
    > Chris

    Welcome to the world of Linux where the screenshots always look fantastic
    but the actual experience is a mess.

  5. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    Chris wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    > things that are broken, which previously worked:
    >
    > 1. skype no longer works
    >
    > 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)
    >
    > 3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    > minutes)
    >
    > 4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    > does)
    >
    > 5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    > utilization
    >
    > All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    > all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    > to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    > release.
    >
    > * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >
    > Chris

    I couldn't get the current release of Skype to install on 7.10.
    I had an older release tar from an install on 7.04 so I used it and it
    installed fine.

  6. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:04:56 +0100, Chris wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    > things that are broken, which previously worked:
    >
    > 1. skype no longer works
    >
    > 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)
    >
    > 3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    > minutes)
    >
    > 4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    > does)
    >
    > 5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    > utilization
    >
    > All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain,
    > after all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of
    > having to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with
    > every release.
    >
    > * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >
    > Chris

    Tried reloading the programs through synaptic??

  7. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    On 2007-10-29, Hadron wrote:
    > Chris writes:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    >> things that are broken, which previously worked:

    [snip]

    > I really dont recommend "updating". I'm pretty sure that an update in
    > conjunction with Amarok hosed my last Ubuntu system. Always keep /home
    > on a seperate partition and reinstall when these issues occur otherwise
    > you will be fannying around for ages.

    Time here. Take it from me that Hardon has not got a bun in the oven.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/79350.html

    If at all possible, do a clean install. This means having your home dir, read
    data, on a seperate partition which is *not* formatted. The end result is a
    nice clean upgrade in the time it takes to install. A Linux distro is
    created to work from scratch.

    Even Ms Penguin does clean out the garage when the fishing is no good

  8. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    Hadron wrote:

    > Chris writes:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A few days ago after upgrading to Gutsy from feisty, there are several
    >> things that are broken, which previously worked:
    >>
    >> 1. skype no longer works
    >>
    >> 2. no more system notifications (no sound, no error error, just nothing)
    >>
    >> 3. screen saver does not switch on automatically (setting is after 10
    >> minutes)
    >>
    >> 4. kaffeine player does not play video anymore, just sound (xine player
    >> does)
    >>
    >> 5. amarok keeps updating the music collection resulting in 100% CPU
    >> utilization
    >>
    >> All these things worked under feisty. I know, I shouldn't complain, after
    >> all it's free, but after all these years I'm getting real tired of having
    >> to find solutions for all these little problems. It happens with every
    >> release.
    >>
    >> * sigh * (a tired Linux user)
    >>
    >> Chris

    > I really dont recommend "updating". I'm pretty sure that an update in
    > conjunction with Amarok hosed my last Ubuntu system. Always keep /home
    > on a seperate partition and reinstall when these issues occur otherwise
    > you will be fannying around for ages.

    I just reinstalled kubuntu. I didn't try Skype but Wengophone seems to be
    working and that's good enough for me. AVI files from my video camera still
    don't play. That's really a bummer. Any remedies for that?

    Chris

  9. Re: Small little problems after upgrading to Gutsy

    Chris wrote:

    > I just reinstalled kubuntu. I didn't try Skype but Wengophone seems
    > to be working and that's good enough for me. AVI files from my video
    > camera still don't play. That's really a bummer. Any remedies for
    > that?

    You've probably resolved it by now, but I don't see any replies, so
    just in case, here are some links for Feisty and Gutsy solutions,
    depending on which you're running:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

    Feisty Fawn:
    http://kubuntuguide.org/Feisty#Add_E...u_Repositories