Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 last night, took a few hours but it was worth it. Any way, I have got my Kodak C330 camera working with digicam and I have a Lexmark all in one ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ubuntu 7.10

  1. Ubuntu 7.10

    Hi all,
    I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 last night, took a few hours but it
    was worth it.
    Any way, I have got my Kodak C330 camera working with digicam and I have
    a Lexmark all in one printer a X1180.
    I have got the scanner working fine with XSane but not the printer, I
    have tried many drivers but it will not print.
    I also have a TV tuner but I cannot get any drivers for that.
    And a Logitech webcam cant get any drivers that that either.

    I would love to get the printer, TV tuner and webcam to work, but so far
    cant.
    The TV tuner is a Compro Technology VideoMate card.

    Ohhh yes and I tried to get AVG and Realplaey 10 runnig last night but I
    am told I dont have the right unpack modules, how do I unpack them to
    run properly?

    My Ubuntu 7.10 is fully updated.

    Can any one help me please.


    TIA,

    Mike.

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:59:50 +0000, Mike wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 last night, took a few hours but it
    > was worth it.


    I installed 7.04 and then upgraded my wife's PC this week-end; the upgrade
    did take around 1.5 hours, but it was seamless.

    > Any way, I have got my Kodak C330 camera working with digicam and I have
    > a Lexmark all in one printer a X1180.
    > I have got the scanner working fine with XSane but not the printer, I
    > have tried many drivers but it will not print.


    FWIW - this is one of the reasons I have separate devices - I think it's
    generally easier to get things going. BTW - I have and Epson scanner and
    an Epson printer (as well as a Brother laser) and they have both been a
    dream to set up and use.

    > I also have a TV tuner but I cannot get any drivers for that.
    > And a Logitech webcam cant get any drivers that that either.
    >
    > I would love to get the printer, TV tuner and webcam to work, but so far
    > cant.
    > The TV tuner is a Compro Technology VideoMate card.
    >
    > Ohhh yes and I tried to get AVG and Realplaey 10 runnig last night but I
    > am told I dont have the right unpack modules, how do I unpack them to
    > run properly?
    >
    > My Ubuntu 7.10 is fully updated.
    >
    > Can any one help me please.
    >
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Mike.



  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 last night, took a few hours but it
    > was worth it.
    > Any way, I have got my Kodak C330 camera working with digicam and I have
    > a Lexmark all in one printer a X1180.
    > I have got the scanner working fine with XSane but not the printer, I
    > have tried many drivers but it will not print.
    > I also have a TV tuner but I cannot get any drivers for that.
    > And a Logitech webcam cant get any drivers that that either.
    >
    > I would love to get the printer, TV tuner and webcam to work, but so far
    > cant.
    > The TV tuner is a Compro Technology VideoMate card.
    >
    > Ohhh yes and I tried to get AVG and Realplaey 10 runnig last night but I
    > am told I dont have the right unpack modules, how do I unpack them to
    > run properly?
    >
    > My Ubuntu 7.10 is fully updated.
    >
    > Can any one help me please.
    >
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Mike.


    How about setting some priorities?
    What do you want fixed first?

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Mike wrote:


    >> Can any one help me please.


    > How about setting some priorities?
    > What do you want fixed first?




    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >> Mike wrote:

    >
    >>> Can any one help me please.

    >
    >> How about setting some priorities?
    >> What do you want fixed first?

    >
    >
    >


    OK, I have an update then,
    I have now got a Canon flat bed scanner that works perfectly under
    Ubuntu 7.10, My Lexmark is now in my daiughters hands, I am now using an
    Epson C62 printer, works fine under Ubuntu 7.10.
    My priority is the TV Tuner and WebCam.
    Ohhh yes and a good antivirus like Avast and a good firewall.
    I am behind a D-Link router.
    I downloaded Avast, but as I am new to all this Linux I have no idea
    how to get it running.

    Its not like a Windows thing where you just click on Install is it.

    Mike.






  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Primax wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> xubunt6 wrote:
    >>> Mike wrote:

    >>
    >>>> Can any one help me please.

    >>
    >>> How about setting some priorities?
    >>> What do you want fixed first?

    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > OK, I have an update then,
    > I have now got a Canon flat bed scanner that works perfectly under
    > Ubuntu 7.10, My Lexmark is now in my daiughters hands, I am now using an



    > My priority is the TV Tuner

    and WebCam.
    Webcam support under linux needs a prayer first, before you plug it in
    .... ;-)


    and a good firewall.

    > Its not like a Windows thing where you just click on Install is it.


    apt-get or synaptic package manager will do fine, installing software ...
    >
    > Mike.
    >


    I suppose it is manual copy time ... ;-)

    VGA 3D: (ubuntu) nvidia-glx: NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver.
    Shell: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x (i choose a vesa driver, nvidia did not work)

    When i installed my tv-card, it mourned about tv-out support. That is
    where the 3d support comes in (1rst and 2nd line vga)

    firestarter (firewall)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Primax wrote:

    > Ohhh yes and a good antivirus like Avast and a good firewall.


    You can safely forget "anti-virus" nonsense. There are no Linux viruses and
    can't be. The permissions structure of the OS makes it impossible for
    malware to do much at all to your machine. Theoretically, you could damage
    the contents of a users' home directory but he'd have to be pretty stupid
    to get caught out like that.

    > I am behind a D-Link router.


    That takes care of much of your firewall requirement - NAT is pretty
    effective on its own. There are firewalls built in to every distro, and
    they're easy enough to configure.

    > I downloaded Avast, but as I am new to all this Linux I have no idea
    > how to get it running.


    Don't bother. You don't need it. You're in the real "land of the free"
    now, and don't need to worry about Windows problems any more.

    > Its not like a Windows thing where you just click on Install is it.


    No. And just think how dangerous /that/ is!

    C.


  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Primax wrote:
    >
    >> Ohhh yes and a good antivirus like Avast and a good firewall.

    >
    > You can safely forget "anti-virus" nonsense. There are no Linux viruses and
    > can't be. The permissions structure of the OS makes it impossible for
    > malware to do much at all to your machine. Theoretically, you could damage
    > the contents of a users' home directory but he'd have to be pretty stupid
    > to get caught out like that.
    >
    >> I am behind a D-Link router.

    >
    > That takes care of much of your firewall requirement - NAT is pretty
    > effective on its own. There are firewalls built in to every distro, and
    > they're easy enough to configure.
    >
    >> I downloaded Avast, but as I am new to all this Linux I have no idea
    >> how to get it running.

    >
    > Don't bother. You don't need it. You're in the real "land of the free"
    > now, and don't need to worry about Windows problems any more.
    >
    >> Its not like a Windows thing where you just click on Install is it.

    >
    > No. And just think how dangerous /that/ is!
    >
    > C.
    >


    Thank you for the replies.
    I have now got the TV card working but no sound as yet (working on it)
    Same as the FM Radio tuner, no sound.
    I found the Synaptic Package Manager very useful indeed.

    Ubuntu 7.10 is now almost fully working.
    Only problem I have now is as I say the sound on the TV tuner and FM
    radio tuner don`t work, but the picture is very good.
    I can not get the webcam to work at all.
    But that is noting to worry abot as I don`t really use it.

    I am now using Firestarter.

    All in all I am glad to switch from XP to Ubuntu 7.10.
    Now I can se just how good Ubuntu 7.10 is I can now et it up on the
    80gig HD that XP is on, for more room.
    As right now I am using a 13 gig HD as a test to see if Ubuntu is good
    or not.
    And yes it is, so bye Windows XP, its time for you to go.........
    The best of all I have to say is that Ubuntu is FREE and legal.



    Mike.



    --
    Lets stop killing each other, lets all live in peace.
    Too much pain, too much suffering.

+ Reply to Thread