7.10 and framebuffer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7.10 and framebuffer - Ubuntu ; Trying out a new install of 7.10, and can't get a framebuffer console to appear (with Ctrl-Alt-F2). I can get a non-fb console if I don't include a "vga=xxx" command on the kernel line in grub, but that's very ugly ...

  1. 7.10 and framebuffer

    Trying out a new install of 7.10, and can't get a framebuffer console to
    appear (with Ctrl-Alt-F2). I can get a non-fb console if I don't include
    a "vga=xxx" command on the kernel line in grub, but that's very ugly and
    hard to use. If I put something like "vga=791" on the end of the kernel
    boot line, I see only a blinking cursor when I access the console, and no
    way to log in.

    Is there some package that must be installed in order to get a framebuffer
    console? Seems kind of strange to me. Any ideas?

  2. Re: 7.10 and framebuffer

    Dan C wrote:

    > Trying out a new install of 7.10, and can't get a framebuffer console
    > to appear (with Ctrl-Alt-F2).

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/129910

    Ilja

  3. Re: 7.10 and framebuffer

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:40:06 +0100, Ilja Sekler wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Trying out a new install of 7.10, and can't get a framebuffer console
    >> to appear (with Ctrl-Alt-F2).

    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/129910

    Interesting. Looks like a valid bug which a LOT of folks are having
    trouble with. I'll try some of the workarounds mentioned there.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: 7.10 and framebuffer

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:53:22 -0500
    Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:40:06 +0100, Ilja Sekler wrote:
    >
    > > Dan C wrote:
    > >
    > >> Trying out a new install of 7.10, and can't get a framebuffer console
    > >> to appear (with Ctrl-Alt-F2).

    > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/129910

    > Interesting. Looks like a valid bug which a LOT of folks are having
    > trouble with. I'll try some of the workarounds mentioned there.

    Nah, it means Ubuntu is too hard for you, off you trot back to Slackware :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

+ Reply to Thread