how do I do it? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on how do I do it? - Ubuntu ; I just brought a new 250 SATA hard drive and use windows xp pro to format (under NTFS format) and partition (half and half) it, I also install windows xp pro to c: (the first part of the hard-drive) now ...

  1. how do I do it?

    I just brought a new 250 SATA hard drive and use windows xp pro to format
    (under NTFS format) and partition (half and half) it, I also install windows
    xp pro to c: (the first part of the hard-drive) now I want to install ubuntu
    7.04 to the second section of the hard-drive which is d:, so how can I do
    it?? I mean when I put in the ubuntu install disk how can I told the disk I
    want to install to d:?? And do I need to format d: again because I been used
    windows xp pro to format it under NTFS format?

    Can someone tell me how to do it step by step (must be clear) or send me a
    website so I can following! Thank you very much and have a g'day!!

  2. Re: how do I do it?

    nt wrote:
    > I just brought a new 250 SATA hard drive and use windows xp pro to format
    > (under NTFS format) and partition (half and half) it, I also install windows
    > xp pro to c: (the first part of the hard-drive) now I want to install ubuntu
    > 7.04 to the second section of the hard-drive which is d:, so how can I do
    > it?? I mean when I put in the ubuntu install disk how can I told the disk I
    > want to install to d:?? And do I need to format d: again because I beenused
    > windows xp pro to format it under NTFS format?
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to do it step by step (must be clear) or send me a
    > website so I can following! Thank you very much and have a g'day!!

    The second primary partition on the hard disk is /dev/sda2, not 'd:'
    (*), so you just hop along the installation path and if it asks to
    select a partition into which to install, just select that. If no
    partition of that name exists, then there should be some free space on
    /dev/sda that you can use.

    (*) If the second partition shows up as /dev/sda5, then it's a logical
    "drive", but Ubuntu/Linux doesn't care, it can boot from a logical
    "drive" as well.

    BTW When configuring the boot loader "grub", the windows partition will
    be recognized and included into the boot menu. Beware that when you
    re-install Windows, it will silently wipe your MBR (Master Boot Record),
    rendering your grub boot loader setup unusable, but that can be easily
    repaired.
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: how do I do it?

    nt wrote:
    > I just brought a new 250 SATA hard drive and use windows xp pro to format
    > (under NTFS format) and partition (half and half) it, I also install windows
    > xp pro to c: (the first part of the hard-drive) now I want to install ubuntu
    > 7.04 to the second section of the hard-drive which is d:, so how can I do
    > it?? I mean when I put in the ubuntu install disk how can I told the disk I
    > want to install to d:?? And do I need to format d: again because I been used
    > windows xp pro to format it under NTFS format?
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to do it step by step (must be clear) or send me a
    > website so I can following! Thank you very much and have a g'day!!

    let's split that linux half (125 GB) up in the following partitions:
    1 gb swap
    25 gb / =root (=linux), ext3
    100 gb (or what is left) data, for mutual windows-linux use consider
    fat32 with 32kb cluster or ntfs since *butu 7.1 supports stable ntfs
    read/write support. You might need to add the driver for this.
    or choose ext2 for data, see:

    "For this reason and others, anyone dual-booting Linux and Windows
    should download the ext2 driver from www.fs-driver.org and install it."

    during installation choose manual partitioning according to above. It
    seems to work better than automatic. I only used manual, so i do not
    know how automatic partitioning works (good or bad).

    good luck.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."