Hard XServer Crash - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hard XServer Crash - Ubuntu ; Installed the Realtek audio driver package. Readme listed some commands to place in Xserver-xorg conf file. Rebooted and ubuntu 7.04 wouldn't load. Just got the terminal command prompt and lots of "error" messages. Was thre anyway to recover from this ...

  1. Hard XServer Crash

    Installed the Realtek audio driver package. Readme listed some
    commands to place in Xserver-xorg conf file. Rebooted and ubuntu 7.04
    wouldn't load. Just got the terminal command prompt and lots of "error"
    messages. Was thre anyway to recover from this crash short of a
    reinstall?? TIA

  2. Re: Hard XServer Crash

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:23:10 GMT
    Lemer wrote:

    > Installed the Realtek audio driver package. Readme listed some
    > commands to place in Xserver-xorg conf file. Rebooted and ubuntu 7.04
    > wouldn't load. Just got the terminal command prompt and lots of "error"
    > messages. Was thre anyway to recover from this crash short of a
    > reinstall?? TIA

    Restore your xorg.conf file back to the way it was before it broke and
    go from there.

    If you didn't make a backup, then copy and paste 1000 times "I must
    *ALLWAYS* back up my system files before hacking them" then try:

    $ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    (without the $, that's just a nifty little command prompt)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  3. Re: Hard XServer Crash

    In article <20071022084359.3f206597@voyager>, newsreply@besty.org.uk
    says...

    >On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:23:10 GMT
    >Lemer wrote:
    >
    >> Installed the Realtek audio driver package. Readme listed some
    >> commands to place in Xserver-xorg conf file. Rebooted and ubuntu 7.04
    >> wouldn't load. Just got the terminal command prompt and lots of "error"
    >> messages. Was thre anyway to recover from this crash short of a
    >> reinstall?? TIA

    >Restore your xorg.conf file back to the way it was before it broke and
    >go from there.
    >
    >If you didn't make a backup, then copy and paste 1000 times "I must
    >*ALLWAYS* back up my system files before hacking them" then try:
    >
    >$ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    >(without the $, that's just a nifty little command prompt)

    Thanks for the reply. I did try your suggestion, but all I got was something
    about "--help for all gnome options" I didn't see anything in help that would
    help. Simply, the GUI would not load. How could I invoke a backup ??
    I guess what bothers me most is that I'm talking about SOUND, not the GUI, not
    any serious system files, but SOUND. Surely, an OS can run just fine without
    SOUND (I shut system sounds off anyway). Frustrating, to say the least.

  4. Re: Hard XServer Crash

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:51:19 GMT
    Lemer wrote:

    > In article <20071022084359.3f206597@voyager>, newsreply@besty.org.uk
    > says...
    > >

    > >On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:23:10 GMT
    > >Lemer wrote:
    > >
    > >> Installed the Realtek audio driver package. Readme listed some
    > >> commands to place in Xserver-xorg conf file. Rebooted and ubuntu 7.04
    > >> wouldn't load. Just got the terminal command prompt and lots of "error"
    > >> messages. Was thre anyway to recover from this crash short of a
    > >> reinstall?? TIA

    > >Restore your xorg.conf file back to the way it was before it broke and
    > >go from there.
    > >
    > >If you didn't make a backup, then copy and paste 1000 times "I must
    > >*ALLWAYS* back up my system files before hacking them" then try:
    > >
    > >$ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    > >
    > >(without the $, that's just a nifty little command prompt)
    > >

    > Thanks for the reply. I did try your suggestion, but all I got was something
    > about "--help for all gnome options" I didn't see anything in help that would
    > help. Simply, the GUI would not load. How could I invoke a backup ??

    Did you back the file up before editing it or not? Or did the editor
    you used to edit it create a backup? Navigate to the directory...

    I assume at the start you get dumped out to the login prompt in CUI
    mode. If not then Ctrl+Alt+F1 will get you one, login from there.

    $ cd /etc/X11
    $ ls

    You might see a file like "xorg.conf~" or xorg.conf.bak or something
    that implies a backup.

    Probably too late now but JIC, create a backup of what passes for your
    xorg.conf file at the moment...

    $ sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup-2007-10-23

    then a similar command to restore the backed up file, e.g.

    $ sudo cp xorg.conf~ xorg.conf

    If not, perhaps post your xorg.conf file here and someone (might not be
    me) can take a gander at it and advise.

    > I guess what bothers me most is that I'm talking about SOUND, not the GUI, not
    > any serious system files, but SOUND. Surely, an OS can run just fine without
    > SOUND (I shut system sounds off anyway). Frustrating, to say the least.

    The OS is probably running just fine, but you messed with the config
    file for X, it's X that's not starting.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  5. Re: Hard XServer Crash

    Trevor Best writes:

    > $ sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup-2007-10-23

    Possibly something like this in the terminal:

    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/backup/etc/X11/xorg.conf."`date`"

    I always find it a good idea to back up things to a ~/backup/config
    directory since if you installed your /home on a separate device then
    you can compare working config files should you ever need to reinstall.

+ Reply to Thread