Floppy is a partition on the hard drive? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Floppy is a partition on the hard drive? - Ubuntu ; I have somewhat typical (for its time) hardware that once ran Win XP adequately (as adequate as XP can ever get) and has a 3" floppy that it is able to boot from. But in the "guided" partitioning scheme that ...

  1. Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    I have somewhat typical (for its time) hardware that once ran
    Win XP adequately (as adequate as XP can ever get) and has
    a 3" floppy that it is able to boot from.

    But in the "guided" partitioning scheme that 7.04 created
    the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having

    partition at
    1 /dev/hda1
    2 /dev/fd0
    5 /dev/hda5

    with the description for #2 also suggesting it is a floppy.

    ???

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over."
    -- Larry Wall

  2. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > I have somewhat typical (for its time) hardware that once ran
    > Win XP adequately (as adequate as XP can ever get) and has
    > a 3" floppy that it is able to boot from.
    >
    > But in the "guided" partitioning scheme that 7.04 created
    > the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >
    > partition at
    > 1 /dev/hda1
    > 2 /dev/fd0
    > 5 /dev/hda5
    >
    > with the description for #2 also suggesting it is a floppy.
    >
    > ???

    It doesn't matter. Just use dd to wipe out the MBR from your HDD. Then
    do a clean partitioning. I always do manual partitioning because I
    typically create more than 6 or 7 partitions.

  3. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    santosh wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> But in the "guided" partitioning scheme that 7.04 created
    >> the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >>
    >> partition at
    >> 1 /dev/hda1
    >> 2 /dev/fd0
    >> 5 /dev/hda5
    >>
    >> with the description for #2 also suggesting it is a floppy.

    > It doesn't matter. Just use dd to wipe out the MBR from your HDD. Then
    > do a clean partitioning. I always do manual partitioning because I
    > typically create more than 6 or 7 partitions.

    It matters to me. I like things to make sense. :-)

    Also, I don't want to wipe out the MBR. Isn't that where
    GRUB sits? At least I think it's GRUB that gives me umpteen
    boot options.....

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe.

  4. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >
    > partition at
    > 1 /dev/hda1
    > 2 /dev/fd0
    > 5 /dev/hda5

    What exactly does the 'GUI version of disk utilities' refer to? What
    does sudo fdisk -l show?

    > with the description for #2 also suggesting it is a floppy.

    Yup, floppy.

    Problem, question?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >>
    >> partition at
    >> 1 /dev/hda1
    >> 2 /dev/fd0
    >> 5 /dev/hda5

    > What exactly does the 'GUI version of disk utilities' refer to? What
    > does sudo fdisk -l show?

    It shows what I expect--that the second partition of the hard drive
    is a partition of a hard drive.

    >> with the description for #2 also suggesting it is a floppy.

    > Yup, floppy.
    > Problem, question?

    My first question would be what the heck does "yup, floppy" mean?

    Are you suggesting the GUI is correct and that the second partition
    of my boot drive is a floppy? That would mean that fdisk is wrong.

    Wait there's more: according to the GUI, that partition is no longer of
    type floppy--now it's type is NFS! Yep, although I have three NFS
    mounts, with mount points on the FIRST partition, this GUI says that
    one of them is only 1.0 Kb and is partition two and the other two don't
    exist.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  6. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>> the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >>>
    >>> partition at
    >>> 1 /dev/hda1
    >>> 2 /dev/fd0
    >>> 5 /dev/hda5

    > My first question would be what the heck does "yup, floppy" mean?
    >
    > Are you suggesting the GUI is correct and that the second partition
    > of my boot drive is a floppy? That would mean that fdisk is wrong.

    I'm not suggesting anything. I'm *stating* that /dev/fd0 is in fact a
    floppy drive. I *still* don't know to what GUI you're referring. They
    have names. Try looking it up, please; after all, you are using it. I
    usually use fdisk. Not sure the GUI.

    > Wait there's more: according to the GUI, that partition is no longer of
    > type floppy--now it's type is NFS! Yep, although I have three NFS
    > mounts, with mount points on the FIRST partition, this GUI says that
    > one of them is only 1.0 Kb and is partition two and the other two don't
    > exist.

    Again with the GUI! Are you asking for help, or is this an exercise in
    futility!? Your ramblings make no sense.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: Floppy is a partition on the hard drive?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Again with the GUI! Are you asking for help, or is this an exercise in
    > futility!? Your ramblings make no sense.

    I believe you quoted from the same message that said

    > the GUI version of disk utilities shows the boot disk as having
    >
    > partition at
    > 1 /dev/hda1
    > 2 /dev/fd0
    > 5 /dev/hda5

    I am well aware that 'fd' stands for floppy disk. If I didn't
    know that, I wouldn't have asked why the panel was telling me
    the second partition of the hard drive was a floppy.

    When I went back to it and saw that it had changed to

    > partition at
    > 1 /dev/hda1
    > 2 Symetra:/
    > 5 /dev/hda5

    then it was pretty obvious the settings panel is buggy.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
    it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
    murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
    come by their ignorance the hard way.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

+ Reply to Thread