Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed. - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:39:52 -0400 Fred Williams wrote: > > I am a little miffed. Everyone said the scanner problem (for > the HP Scanjet 5300C), would be fixed with this ungrade. It is not! > Ubunto still ...

  1. Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed.

    Fred Williams wrote:

    > I am a little miffed. Everyone said the scanner problem (for
    > the HP Scanjet 5300C), would be fixed with this ungrade. It is not!
    > Ubunto still fails to detect the scanner. I've been waiting a
    > longtime for this and my scanner has been unavailable for over two
    > years. I have people waiting for images from my high school
    > yearbooks so they can put them up on the alumni site. They have been
    > waiting for over a year and I still can't scan the books.
    > What I think I'll do is either set up a glass holder and
    > photograph the pages, or pack them in a box and mail them to the
    > people and let them scan it.
    > This is the only sad thing about Linux. I'm going to sell
    > the scanner to a Window$ user.

    Hi
    Have you seen this link?

    Cheers Malcolm ░┐░ (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 4 days 17:45, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.10, 0.09

  2. Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed.

    Fred Williams writes:

    > On Sunday 21 October 2007 17:07, Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:39:52 -0400
    >> Fred Williams wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am a little miffed. Everyone said the scanner problem (for
    >>> the HP Scanjet 5300C), would be fixed with this ungrade. It is not!
    >>> Ubunto still fails to detect the scanner. I've been waiting a
    >>> longtime for this and my scanner has been unavailable for over two
    >>> years. I have people waiting for images from my high school
    >>> yearbooks so they can put them up on the alumni site. They have been
    >>> waiting for over a year and I still can't scan the books.
    >>> What I think I'll do is either set up a glass holder and
    >>> photograph the pages, or pack them in a box and mail them to the
    >>> people and let them scan it.
    >>> This is the only sad thing about Linux. I'm going to sell
    >>> the scanner to a Window$ user.
    >>>

    >> Hi
    >> Have you seen this link?
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-232231.html
    >>

    > Many times. Changing the dpi to 300 worked for a while in Dapper, but
    > then when I instralled Fiesty looking for an improvement, Xsane never
    > found the scanner again.

    It could another one of those f***ing ridiculous device ID things
    again. UUID versis /dev/mydevice. I had all sorts of problems. The
    maddest of the lot is still haunting people is that if you install
    Debian lenny then when you boot it expects one device name but Grub
    access another one causing the boot to halt. For some reason only now
    have they decided to move hda to sda ..... never mind the issues with
    UUID. I remove ALL sda/hda references a.s.a.p having labelled all drives
    and UUIDs.

    --
    L'irreale non esiste.
    -- Prima legge della metafisica di Kir-kin-tha,

  3. Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed.

    Fred Williams writes:

    > On Monday 22 October 2007 13:16, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Fred Williams writes:

    >>> Many times. Changing the dpi to 300 worked for a while in
    >>> Dapper, but
    >>> then when I instralled Fiesty looking for an improvement, Xsane never
    >>> found the scanner again.

    >> It could another one of those f***ing ridiculous device ID things
    >> again. UUID versis /dev/mydevice. I had all sorts of problems. The
    >> maddest of the lot is still haunting people is that if you install
    >> Debian lenny then when you boot it expects one device name but Grub
    >> access another one causing the boot to halt. For some reason only now
    >> have they decided to move hda to sda ..... never mind the issues with
    >> UUID. I remove ALL sda/hda references a.s.a.p having labelled all
    >> drives and UUIDs.
    >>

    > I have a whole bunch of sda listings but these are the filesystem. So
    > I don't think I want to remove them. I don't know what a UUID is,
    > exactly.

    And did you compare the SDA listing you see when you look at your fstab
    with the line in the /boot/grub/menu.lst?

    Edit the grub line : "e" before you boot the failing install and change
    the hda to sda or whatever it is before hitting "enter" and then "b" to
    boot the temporary line. If that works you know its just grub thats
    wrong and you can mount it from another install and modify the menu.lst.

    It insn't necessrily easy or straightforward I am afraid. You need to
    understand how to mount from other boots/installs to access you bad grub
    config file.

    It can be very frustrating I know.

    --
    Politics, like religion, hold up the torches of matrydom to the
    reformers of error.

  4. Re: Installed 7.10 Scanner problem not fixed.

    Fred Williams writes:

    > On Monday 22 October 2007 14:20, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Fred Williams writes:

    >>> I have a whole bunch of sda listings but these are the
    >>> filesystem. So
    >>> I don't think I want to remove them. I don't know what a UUID is,
    >>> exactly.

    >> And did you compare the SDA listing you see when you look at your
    >> fstab with the line in the /boot/grub/menu.lst?
    >>
    >> Edit the grub line : "e" before you boot the failing install and
    >> change the hda to sda or whatever it is before hitting "enter" and
    >> then "b" to boot the temporary line. If that works you know its just
    >> grub thats wrong and you can mount it from another install and modify
    >> the menu.lst.
    >>
    >> It insn't necessrily easy or straightforward I am afraid. You need to
    >> understand how to mount from other boots/installs to access you bad
    >> grub config file.
    >>
    >> It can be very frustrating I know.
    >>

    > I don't have enough to go on here and if I start messing with it I'll
    > destroy my system, but I won't try it now because I know my
    > limitations. It would take me a week of study to understand all this,
    > and I don't have the time.
    > My HP printer works beautifully with the new system, if a little
    > slower. I was hoping the scanner would be as easy.

    Aargh. Two apologies in one day. This reply was meant for the guy who
    had lost his root at grub time boot. Apologies.

    --
    Vivir sin filosofar es, propiamente, tener los ojos cerrados, sin tratar
    de abrirlos jamás.

+ Reply to Thread